Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. - HI

Started by Terry Todaro-Ballard on Wednesday, July 3, 2019
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 6 posts
7/3/2019 at 6:59 AM

Im assuming this tree is wrong, I find no mention of him having white ancestors..

Private User
7/3/2019 at 9:03 AM

Hi, Terry! Can you elaborate on what you mean? From what I can see, the tree is showing his European ancestry. You might just need to go back further in the tree to see it?

In case what you mean is that you're surprised that he had European ancestry, that's actually the norm for descendants of enslaved peoples in the United States. The National Archives, NEHGS, Dr. Gates, and others all agree that Dr. King had, at minimum, English ancestry.

7/3/2019 at 12:47 PM

Dear Terry, I´m very happy that Dr. Martin Luther King belong to my relatives as may 14th grand farther Dr. Martin Luther, too. I ´m living in Finland.

Private User
7/3/2019 at 1:35 PM

I found Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. is my 9th cousin and I have only 5.4% African. I don't know if his ancestry has any English. I just know that one of his relatives on my mothers side linked to Dr. Kings grandmother Delia King. I found my great grandfather was listed on a Virginia census as mulatto. His father was listed as a free black man on a previous census in Virginia. The last name was Taliaferro and my mom always said we were part spanish. LOL DNA testing is awesome. I think Taliaferro had a large plantation and many slaves. I wish I had the DNA of my ancestors to identify their ethnicity.

7/4/2019 at 8:58 PM

I’m related to him only threw marriage, His wife is my Grandmother First Cousin.

7/4/2019 at 9:44 PM

True I understand that if you go back enough, but im showing an Abraham Womack, who was a slave owner as an ancestor we share and his daughter Nancy .I understand the implication, but it doesn't usually show up on family trees usally on dna …
So Im trying to trace exactly who each was. ,Nancy was Mary Jane Long? And then Delia
Abraham def a white man and Delia is an African American women, Looking for the parts in between, The family history doesn't mention a white ancestor that recent. Id love to know Im his cousin, more importantly Id love to know its true...

Showing all 6 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion