Dr. John Franklin Bryant - Are there two John Bryan(t)s?

Started by Karl David Wright on Sunday, June 30, 2019
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing 31-58 of 58 posts

I’m confused about Christine Hare & Sarah Joyner Hare & Edward Hare

https://billives.typepad.com/sharp_family_in_nc/winborne_and_hare_b... Lists his wife as Mary Bryan (no parents noted)

But Christina Council’s daughter Mary McClendon seems correct

Sarah Joyner Hare implies descent from the Bryan-Joyner marriage, I am willing to bet. Should we move her?

No. There’s something wrong or we don’t know about that profile. Pursue the husband and children.

I gave Joseph Bryant parents that were solely his, by the way. He's all out there on his own.

Are you sure Elizabeth Eldridge was a daughter of Alice Bryan & John Bryan, of Beard’s Creek ?

I’ve got this Elizabeth Hart as theirs (not sure it’s correct)

This took care of most of the John Bryan(t)s

Certain? No. Once again having to rely on web trees. But she did show up as a daughter of Alice MacGue on a rootsweb site.

'this Joseph...?'

No, this one:
Joseph Bryant

Web trees say he's either from Massachusetts, or the son of John Bryant and Anne Hille. He was born either in Massachusetts or North Farnham Parish. Nothing North Carolina about him at all.

Re: Sarah Joyner Hare
Where did they come up with the Joyner middle name? There has to be a relationship even if just cousins...

I've unlinked Elizabeth Eldridge entirely, since there seems to be no consensus where she comes from.

Re: John Bryant & Anne Bryant as parents of Joseph Bryant

The locations aren’t quite working for me although they’re not impossible. (Massachusetts is impossible).

Migration flow is Isle of Wight > Craven County, I see it in other families.

North Farnham Parish was the Northern Neck. They weren’t leaving as fast, and when they did, it was West, not South, at least in my families.

There is much less record loss, in fact the vestry books for N Farnham are on line.

I’d leave as is and pend more research, I think; working bottom of tree up on the line you’re interested in.

The Bridgeman Joyner family is a known line, without the Bryant mixups. Should be articles.

There’s an Eldridge family over here

Ezekiel Eldridge

Ezekiel is from Cape May NJ!! Born and died there.

This tree https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/person/tree/28085113/person/26...

Has parents

Thomas Bryant III (F)
1688–1727

Margaret Jeffries (Bryant) (F)
1695–1727
Siblings

Which child are you chasing? That would help me.

Margaret Bryant

Location is much much better

Elizabeth Eldridge (Bryant) is who I'm trying to find the parents of. Let me see if this works.

Who are the children of Elizabeth Eldridge

This is needle in a haystack time. Need to work from grandchildren up. The name is almost meaningless.

Found.

===Notes

From http://www.myancestrallegacy.com/Samuel%20Eldridge%20Will%20Probate...

Re: Samuel Eldridge, Johnston Co., NC(?-1778)
Samuel Eldridge, Johnston Co. NC(?-1778)
Posted by: Darl S. Hood
Date: September 07, 1998 at 12:13:35

Seeking parents of Samuel Eldridge of Johnston Co. NC whose will was probated May 1778. Husband
of Elizabeth Bryan (d/o Lewis of Beards Creek, Johnston Co. NC, and grand d/o John of Craven Co.
NC whose will was probated 31 Oct 1741 Johnston Co. NC).

If you’re chasing Thornton’s, you have issues here:

https://www.geni.com/merge/compare/6000000000966993030

*Different parents for Nathaniel Hannibal Thornton, Sr. & Nathaniel Hannibal Thornton, Sr.
* Mildred Thornton born before her mother - therefore not the daughter of Elizabeth Eldridge ... moving her as daughter of Barshebia Elizabeth Eldridge

Either Elizabeth Eldridge is a second wife / surviving widow or perhaps she’s misplaced generation. You need to look at the children & grandchildren of Samuel Eldridge, III to see if they got any Bryan property etc.

Because Mildred (Eldridge) Thornton named a child “Barsheba” I’m leaning to a “first wife of Samuel Eldridge” scenario. On the other hand her first daughter was an Elizabeth, and that’s a theoretical naming pattern.

Recall that Elizabeth Eldridge was the last of the children "cut loose" from Major John Bryant. That's my only interest in her: finding a worthy family for her.

As you point out, the dates in her profile make no sense at this time; but that's mainly because her supposed husband, Samuel Eldridge III, is far too old for her. Her relationship with Lewis Bryan seems reasonable. So I bet she married Samuel Eldridge IV, or V, and it was that family whose generations got smushed.

She’s well referenced as the wife of Samuel Eldridge who died 1788 & Bryan family is very intertwined. The easy answer is that she was a second wife.

Also Samuel lll’s Birth date is problematic; he was more likely born in the 1730s and his birth moved back to make him a son of Samuel ll died 1709.

But I think we’re good for now.

Bryant’d Out !

Anyhow, this does answer the question of "who were Elizabeth Eldridge (Bryan)'s parents?"

So I think that much is done.

I'm going to go back to working on the Northern Ireland families for a bit.

Erica,
Another change that needs to be made to John Bryan of Beard's Creek - it seems that the Mary Raiford listed as his daughter is an error also. According to John Bryan's will his daughter was Mary Jackson-Griffin, not Raiford.

Erica Howton, did you see this?

Disconnected Mary Raiford from parents.

Found on Ancestry.com States that the John Bryan Birth Date: 2 Jan 1692 Parents were Father: William Bryan
Mother: Alice Needham.

John Bryan
in the Family Data Collection - Births

Add alternate information
Report issue
Name: John Bryan
Father: William Bryan
Mother: Alice Needham
Birth Date: 2 Jan 1692
City: Isle Wight
County: Isle Wight
State: VA
Save Cancel
Source Information
Edmund West, comp.. Family Data Collection - Births [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2001.

Description
The Family Data Collection - Births database was created while gathering genealogical data for use in the study of human genetics and disease. Learn more...

Showing 31-58 of 58 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion