Akiva Hakohen (Alter of Salonika) Katz - Eli Hakohen

Started by Eli Rubin on Friday, June 21, 2019
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 10 posts
6/21/2019 at 3:07 PM

How do we know he comes from Eli HaKohen?

6/21/2019 at 3:08 PM

Never mind, I see, but where is the picture from?

Private User
3/22/2020 at 11:15 AM

This is my rough translation of the image in Hebrew: "Moshe Isserles Shatzuk from Krakow - Rema. The wife of Rema, Shprintsa, was the daughter of Rabbi Mordechai Gershon Katz [and [his spouse] the daughter of Rabbi Yitzchak Kaluber of Posen], the holy son of Rabbi Chaim Katz killed in his prime(?), son of Yitzhak Katz of Constantinople, son of Rabbi Akiva Katz of Thessaloniki, descendant of Eli HaCohen, descendant of Ithamar ben Aharon HaCohen." There is a URL source for this image/document but unfortunately the URL is defunct at this moment so there is no solid source reference. This shows why one should not depend on internet URLs alone-- they may not be around forever. Instead, please use a more permanent reference citation, such as the name of the book, its author, its publication date and location. Thanks.

3/22/2020 at 12:15 PM

in the information about him writes the name of the book including a page number. You can read online

Private User
3/23/2020 at 9:24 AM

R' Wartski: Are you referring to this: HebrewBooksOrg_9642_page_580.pdf? If so, then I am still unable to ascertain the name of the book from this citation. When I go to HebrewBooks.org I cannot find the book using this information. Can you help? Thanks.

3/23/2020 at 9:51 AM

Private User
it"s from the book:
תשורה - תשס"ז (סגל) ספר הצאצאים (עמוד 12)
It is not possible to download the file from the ozar hachochma site

Private User
3/23/2020 at 10:50 AM

Toda raba!

Private User
3/23/2020 at 11:45 AM

If I am translating correctly, the book is Zikron Yosef written by Joseph Joskowitz Ioskovich circa 1897. According to his GENI ancestry report he does descend from R' Akiva HaKohen through his 9th ggm Gittel [Wife of Shlomo] Segal.

I am not qualified to evaluate the veracity or reliability of the sources used by R' Yoskowitz in Zikron Yosef when he states that R' Akiva is a descendant of Eli HaKohen HaGadol. I must leave that to future wayfarers, with greater knowledge and experience, to comment upon.

3/23/2020 at 12:54 PM

Private User
This matter was checked with Naftali Wakstein.

Showing all 10 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion