Sigrid the Haughty - Sigrid Tostesdotter = Sigrid the Haughty

Started by private on Sunday, June 16, 2019
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 9 posts
private
6/16/2019 at 7:55 PM

Haughty = arrogantly superior and disdainful, yet my 26th Great Grandmother looks like a super hero!

6/16/2019 at 8:52 PM

If you read contemporary historians, you'll see that there is great doubt as to whether she existed at all! Too bad, as GENI has her as my 29th great grandmother! You might find the following link of interest: https://www.hwlongfellow.org/poems_poem.php?pid=2025

private
6/16/2019 at 10:50 PM

John, thanks for the information.

Private User
6/17/2019 at 6:27 AM

She has been mentioned to often in many different old sources, to not have existed in real life. Her father Toste is also mentioned in runstones, hard to fake, and the legacy after her owned lands are listed down in 8 generation until the 1300 century, because of taxation rules and that's a fact.

Private User
6/17/2019 at 3:59 PM

Sigrid the Haughty is your 28th great grandmother.

6/18/2019 at 5:05 AM

Sigrid the haughty was my 27th great grandmother. Here is what I could find on her:

Sigrid the Haughty:

Several contemporary annals tells us that Harald 2 of Denmark and Canute the great had a slavic mother from Poland or a neighboring country. They are therefore supporting the theory that Sigrid really was a daughter of the Polish king Mieszko the first of Poland, though it can't be proven that she wasn't a different person all together who was named Gunhild. The sources that support the theory that Sigrid was Polish includes the following:

• Thietmar (Thietmar (also Dietmar or Dithmar; 25 July 975 – 1 December 1018), Prince-Bishop of Merseburg from 1009 until his death, was an important chronicler recording the reigns of German kings and Holy Roman Emperors of the Ottonian (Saxon) dynasty.)
Writes that the daughter of Mieszko 1. and the sister of Boleslav the first of Poland, married Swein Forkbeard of Denmark and gave him two sons, Canute and Harald. How ever, he doesn't mention her name. Thietmar is normally regarded as the best informed of all the medieval history writers because he was contemporary with the events he described and at the same time possessed a great knowledge about the political events in both Poland and Denmark.
• Adam (of Bremen before 1050-12 Oct. 1081 or 1085) writes that a polish princess was the wife of Eric the Victorious of Sweden and the mother of Canute the great and Harald the second. Some historians thinks that Adam can't be trusted here.
• Gesta Cnutonis regis (Encomium Emmae Reginae written in honor of the queen of Canute the Great from 1041 or 1042) writes in a short passage, that Canute and his brother travelled together to the land of the slaves to bring back their mother who lived there. That doesn't necessarily mean that their mother was slavic but it seems plausible.
• "Liber vitae" from New Minster and Hyde Abbey in Winchester has an entry for a sister of King Canute named "Santslaue" (Santslaue Soror CNVTI regis nostri) which is seen as a Slavic name. Based on this single mention of what would be her daughter and the supposition that the name in question represents the old Polish name Świętosława found in a later generation of the Polish royal family, J. Steenstrup (Historian) suggested that this child was named for her mother and hence the Polish wife of Sweyn was likewise named Świętosława, the name now generally used for her.

Swietoslawa (967-1014), known in Scandinavian sagas as Sigrid the Haughty, Gunhilda, Sigrid Storrada (meaning proud), was Mieszko's I daughter and the sister of the Polish king Boleslav the Brave. Their mother was probably the Christian wife of Mieszko I, Czech's princess, Dobrawa.
Swietoslawa first became a wife of king Eric VI of Sweden in 980 (or 985), she might have given birth to Olof Skotkonung who later became king of Sweden, but this is not completely proven, she became a widow soon.
Swietoslawa became one of the most famous heroes of the Viking sagas but not always in a positive light. She fell in love with the ruler of Norway - Olaf Tryggvason, but he ignored her, therefore he had to pay with his life. According to the sagas her intrigues led to the creation of the anti-Norwegian coalition of seven kings - Dutch, Swedish and Slavic. In the sea battle of Svolder Olaf's Tryggvason 100 ships got defeated by a united fleet of Sweden and Denmark under Olof Skottkonung and Svein Forkbeard and he died heroically there. Sagas tell that this was not the only man, she fell in love with. She ordered to burn alive two others who ignored her feelings.

After 994 she married Sweyn I (Forkbeard) of Denmark under the name Gunhilda. From the second marriage she probably had five children, including Canute the Great and Harold II of Denmark. Since her marriage was not happy, she returned to Poland where her brother Boleslaw the Brave was ruling. After Sweyn died her sons, Kanut and Harald took her back from Poland. Kanut, known as Kanut the Great became later king of England, Denmark and Norway and governor of Schleswig and Pomerania. She died somewhere in an English castle. In any event, Boleslaus I of Poland, the king of Poland actually sent his troops to help Canute in his successful conquest of England, another sign of close relationships between Polish rulers and Vikings.

It is said that Świętosława's difficult character was inherited after her aunt Adelaide (Polish Adelajda) who was probably a sister of Mieszko I and also the wife of the Hungarian duke Geza. Adelaide became a mother of St. Stephen the Great (977-1038), who became the first king of Hungary and a saint.
Adelaide was known as a beauty, but she drunk excessively and loved riding horses like a man. Once, she even killed a man in a rage.

It has also been suggested that Sigrid the Haughty was the daughter of Skoglar Toste and Doubravka of Bohemia who later became the wife of Mieszko the first of Poland, or possible Doubravka was a rape victim of Skoglar Toste even while she was married to Mieszko the first during one of Skoglar Toste's wiking raids.
Most of this can be found on Wikipedia.

private
6/25/2019 at 1:49 AM

Sharyn and Jacob! Greetings to my cousins from California/

Jacob ~ Thank you for the information. I don't rely on Wikipedia as a source, but it can be a good starting point.

Private User
6/25/2019 at 1:51 AM

Great to meet you too <3

Private User
6/25/2019 at 1:53 AM

I am working on Edward III, so my link now sais

Sigrid the Haughty is Edward III, king of England's 10th great grandmother.

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion