Christian Waddington (unknown) - Relationship to Ka Okee cut?

Started by Laura McKenzie, A125538 LM2 on Thursday, May 30, 2019
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 61-90 of 223 posts

The Grigsby family also descends from John Redman and Ann Meese. They had a son William Redman who was adopted by her (2) husband Richard Bryant. William Redman had daughters Jane and Susannah Redman who married the brothers John and James Grigsby. Ann Meese had a brother John Meese who married as her (2) husband Mary Ann Grigsby (sister to John and James Grigsby).
Please contact me directly at dlgrigsby@att.netto share information.
Thanks!
Don

https://www.genealogy.com/forum/surnames/topics/meese/170/

STAFFORD COUNTY VA DEED and WILL BOOK 1699 - 1709; THE ANTIENT PRESS pp. 227-229 Will of RICHARD BRYANT. I Richard Bryant of Stafford County in Virginia being sick and weak of body .. give unto my son NATHANIEL BRYANT one horse colt that came of the mare called Black Bess and one cow and calf when he shall arrive to age of twenty one .. give unto my son RICHARD BRYANT all my land which I enjoy in Virginia his Mother having her life holy upon the Plantation where I now live as long as she lives .. give my son Richard Bryant all my wearing cloathes and my books and medicines and the mare called Fox and my bridle and saddle and the ffeather bed I purchased when I was a batchelour and the furniture belonging thereto and that he shall be free the Christmas day after he is 18 and for himself then to receive his legacys and if his mother again and he and her Husband cannot agree then for my son Richard Bryant to remove to the Plantation where SAMUEL BURTON liveth on it is my will Samuel Burton hath lived there four years rent free but it is my will if Samuel Bur-ton lives there any longer to pay 450 pounds of Tobacco for rent and the Quit-rents for 100 acres of land having neither paid Quitrents nor planted the orchard according to bargain and that he shall live no longer there but till my son RICHARD BRYANT shall at year at 18 .. give my daughter ANN BRYANT the mare Phillis that runs with the mare Phoenix and one cow and calf to be delivered when she shall arrive to the age of eighteen years .. give my Daughter SYLENT BRYANT the next mare colt that shall fall from any of my mares .. and one cow and calf when she arrive at the years of 16 .. give to my daughter SUSANNAH BRYANT the next mare cult that shall fall from any of my mares .. and one cow and calf when she shall come to the age of 16 .. and 4 yews and a ram .. I give unto my daughter ELIZA. ELKIN 480 pounds of Tobo. which ABRAHAM DIPREE turned into my land for building RICHD. ELKINS Tobo. House the said Tobo. to buy her a
Gown and Petticoat with .. it is my will that Richard Elkin should buy his son RICHARD ELKIN my grandsou a mare of 3 years old and enter it upon the records in lieu of the Martinico mare he lost of mine .. and I hope the Worshipful Court will see it performed .. it is my will Richard Elkin should have 2 yews and a ram to be delivered at six years old to put him to school .. my will my son in law WILLIAM REDMOND if he will shall live upon the Plantation whereon his Mother lives seven years rent free or upon the Plantation where SAMUEL BURTON now liveth .. my will the land I give to my son Richard Bryant if he should dye without issue to fall to my son NATHANIEL BRYANT and if my son Nathaniel Bryant dye without issue then amongst my daughters .. my will my son Richard Bryant should have one large iron pot and pothooks one chest that which is commonly called mine two pewter dishes four plates and half dozen new spoons one frying pan .. it is my will that my wife be solely Exectx. to all the rest and residue of my goods and chattels .. this fifth day of April Anno 1703.
Presence John Creek, Richd. Bryant
Diana x Smith, Rebecca x Owen
The above will was produced in open Court by the oaths of Dyana Smith and Rebecca Owen witnesses thereto subscribed who declared they saw John Creek an Evidence thereunto subscribed witness the same and a probate thereof is granted to ANN BRYANT Exectx. she giving security WILLIAM BURTON and JOHN ROWLEY became securities and with her signed Bond accordingly and was ordered sd Will
should be recorded Recorded 15th die May 1704.
Willm. Fitzhugh Cl Court

https://www.houseofproctor.org/genealogy/getperson.php?personID=I19...

This page has indepth info for the Elkins, Bryant's, Gallop's, Meese, Martin's, Pettus, Williams, Waugh, and many others

At the very bottom of the page is DNA support

Ja11 Keziah Arroyah was the daughter of (Ja12) Wahanganoche and possibly an unnamed daughter of Ka-Okee d c 1638 and granddaughter of Kocoum k in Battle with Susquehanna tribe and Pocahontas

Keziah Arroyah, b about 1635
Died:
Married: Richard or Thomas Bryant/Brian

The connection between Bryant, Keziah Arroyah and Elinor Gallop who married Robert Duncan and had Elinor, Mary and Anne Duncan is established by two deeds. There are other records establishing the basic relationships of different lines descending from Keziah Arroyah. There was also another daughter Phylis Gallop who married Thomas Monteith b 1694 in Linlithgow Scotland.
Richard Bryant and Keziah Arroyah had issue:
Br10-1 Dr. Richard Bryan b c 1650 m Ann Meese/Amees, dau of Henry Meese b 1625 of Overwharton Oxford England d 1682 London and Mary ARROYAH b 1639 Stafford, VA (dau of Chief WAHANGANOCHE and MARY)
Br10-1-1 Dr. Joseph Richard Bryan b. ?1687. Dr. Richard Bryan is an ancestor of Bryan Reddick, PhD., Bryan or Sheila Reddick [reddicksb@verizon.net]. d 1749 King George, Va.
Br10-2 Thomas Bryant b c 1652 m Elinor his Indian Servant
Br10-3 Martha Bryant b c 1654 d after 1690) m1 Thomas Foley and had 5 children, m2 William Burton.
Br10 Silent/?Robert Bryant b c 1655 m Lucy Doniphan
Br9 Elinor Bryant dau. married 1st Robert Gallup m2 John I Owens Ow8-1 and had issue
Br10-5 Nathaniel Bryant b c 1657 p Mary Amees, b/d in Stafford Co Va,
Br10-6 Elizabeth Bryan, b/d in Stafford Co Va,

http://www.multiwords.de/genealogy/Ja10KeziahArroyah.html

Re:“Their [Pettus] DNA project also hasn’t made any additional connections.”

The Pettus Y DNA project at ftDNA is here

https://www.familytreedna.com/surname-search-results.aspx?sType=eq&...

There is also this - looks more commercial

https://www.igenea.com/en/surname-projects/p/pettus-2811

There is no such couple as “John Redman and Ann Meese.” Therenever was an Anne Meese in Virginia in the 1600’s. Henry Meese’s daughter Anne was born, lived her entire life, and died unmarried in England. There is no record of the first husband of the Anne who was mother of William Redman/Redmond and wife of Richard Bryant.

Here's one of a few hundred Meese who came over in the 1600s from Netherlands, Dutch East India Company Crew Index, 1633-1795
PASSENGER LISTS - on Ancestry.

Ann(e), the wife of Richard Bryant does not exist in any known record prior to her marriage to Richard. Her first marriage is only known because Richard named her son, his stepson, in his will.

So, Kathryn, are you going on record that this sovereign nations' records are wrong? Here? https://www.genealogy.com/forum/surnames/topics/bryan/5531/

Yes, Virginia has a terrible history with Native nations, but finally, our remaining tribes have all achieved Federal recognition. The “Patawomeck” are not a sovereign nation. They are not a tribe. They are a group of people who claim to be descended from the Parawomeck, but unlike the recognized Virginia tribes they have no records connecting present-day people to the former tribe. They could not meet the Virginia requirements for state recognition and were state-approved by an end-run to the legislature, As far as the claims of ancestors from the 1600’s what they have are theories posited by a member, many of which are chronologically and/or geographically impossible.

There is no question all these folks can document their descent from 17th century residents of the Northern Neck, and they married among themselves (there weren’t a lot of people in the area) so are very inter-related, but there is not a shred of evidence that a single present day person has a Native American connection. The colonists made an active effort in the 1640’s to eradicate the Native population and pretty much succeeded. After that time, any interaction with Natives, whether it was land transactions or employment, it was well-regulated and documented. This part of Virginia does not suffer from record loss.

Everyone in the Patawomeck discussions about the succession of the Patawomeck mother being the reason for the line of succession to Cockacoeske agreed on at least one thing for the federally recognized Pamunky, and that was that the line of succession was from the Patawomeck mother. This particular and specific record that is part of that group connection is indeed, not lacking, has been presented and also shown on atDna is one ot the most obvious trend lines ever, and if you want to see a 3 -D picture of it, it is in the cover shot here: https://www.facebook.com/Bryant-Historical-Society-Geneaology-of-Na... There is also not a lack of records, specifically right here to this particular connection being reversed on paper and on SNP results. So, what I see is a concerted effort by you to undermine the state formation of the Patawomeck's recognition by their state which holds within it some due respect for their processes of how that was achieved and you are on record here with your views and they are noted.

"The Pamunkey Nation was able to demonstrate continuous records of their tribe back to the 1600's, with records of named individuals since 1789 as required for Federal acknowledgement. They were able to present documentation prior to 1789, but that was not required. An excerpt from the Bureau of Indian Affairs finding:

In the years between 1787 and 1843, 43 men signed Pamunkey petitions, 24 individuals were taxed for property on the Pamunkey reservation, and 32 individuals were enrolled as Pamunkey descendants in the Colosse Baptist Church. Since nine men are found in both of the petition and tax list categories and nine other men are found in both of the petition and church list categories, the combined total of individuals in these three categories is 81 (43 + (24 - 9) + (32 - 9)=81).16 This total includes 34 individuals who signed a petition, 15 individuals who appeared on a tax list, 9 individuals who both signed a petition and were taxed, 32 individuals who appeared on a church record, and 9 individuals who both signed a petition and enrolled in the church.

The combined historical Pamunkey petitions, historical county tax lists, and Colosse Baptist Church record identify 81 historical Pamunkey Indians or spouses of Pamunkey Indians (see Appendix A). The petitioner may trace the descent of its current members from the historical Pamunkey Indian tribe by demonstrating its descent from any of these 81 historical individuals or their Pamunkey spouse."

See full report at: https://www.bia.gov/sites/bia.gov/files/assets/as-ia/ofa/petition/3...

The larger Pamunkey tribe information and their enrollees are connected to the line of succession into their tribe, which without whom and being disconnected from is specifically targeting the whole.

Anyone who believes they have a Pamunkey connection shpuld go to the BIA report. There are pages and pages of genealogical information back to people born in the 1700’s.

"Elinor appears to be the daughter of Silent Bryant and Lucy Doniphan. Lucy is a daughter of Alexander Doniphan by a yet unknown wife. That wife could be another daughter of Henry Messe and his Indian wife. " - - Bill Deyo - June of 2019

I looked high and low to figure out Lucy Doniphan. She’s not in any Doniphan tree I can find, & Doniphan is pretty well documented - this is the President Harry Truman tree. Likewise Silent Bryant is an elusive fellow although I expect we could have spelling issues with his name. So Links to documentation most appreciated.

Proposed 1st wife of Silent Bryant

You’ll see several days worth of research efforts in the profile notes.

I have seen Silent Bryant in various places referred to as Robert Silent Bryant; Silas Bryant; Silent Robert Bryant; Sylent Bryant, Sylvent Bryant below are just a few of the links

Bryant/Gallop/Doniphan - Genealogy.com
https://www.genealogy.com/forum/surnames/topics/bryant/11049/
Jun 23, 2012 - married Robert Duncan. I'm finding a Robert Bryant who married Lucy Doniphan listed as her father and Silent/Sylent Bryant and Lucy

Bryant, Sylvent (Also Silent or Silas) b. 1657 Stafford County, Virginia ...
www.mdhervey.com/getperson.php?personID=I31629&tree=tree1
Silent aka Robert Bryant - 3/8th Shuwano-Chalaka-Youghtanund-Mattaponi-Chickahominey-Patawomock -Metis born 1657 VA-died after 1677 - son of Keziah ...

Silas / Silent Bryant (1650 - c.1698) - Genealogy - Geni
Silent Bryant, Wolf Skin Supplier
Jan 30, 2019 - Silent aka Robert Bryant - 3/8th Shuwano-Chalaka Youghtanund-Mattaponi-Chickahominey-Patawomock -Metis born 1657 VA-died after 1677 ...

Silent Bryant - Historical records and family trees - MyHeritage
https://www.myheritage.com/names/silent_bryant
Explore historical records and family tree profiles about Silent Bryant on MyHeritage, ... Silent Robert Bryant was born in 1657, at birth place, Virginia, to Richard ...

Bryant, Sylvent (Also Silent or Silas) b. 1657 Stafford County, Virginia ...
www.mdhervey.com/getperson.php?personID=I31629&tree=tree1
Silent aka Robert Bryant - 3/8th Shuwano-Chalaka-Youghtanund-Mattaponi-Chickahominey-Patawomock -Metis born 1657 VA-died after 1677 - son of Keziah .

Ja10 Keziah Arroyah - multiwords
www.multiwords.de/genealogy/Ja10KeziahArroyah.html
Br10-3 Martha Bryant b c 1654 d after 1690) m1 Thomas Foley and had 5 children, m2 William Burton. Br10 Silent/?Robert Bryant b c 1655 m Lucy Doniphan.

Silent Bryant b. 1689 Richmond County, Virginia d. Aft 1756 ...
https://www.colonial-settlers-md-va.us/getperson.php?personID=I0205......
Silent Bryant b. 1689 Richmond County, Virginia d. Aft 1756 Overwharton Parish, Stafford County, Virginia: Early Colonial Settlers of Southern Maryland and ...

Genealogy for Michael and Deb ... - RootsWeb's WorldConnect Project
https://wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=mdhervey&...
Mar 18, 2017 - Silent aka Robert Bryant - 3/8th Shuwano-Chalaka-Youghtanund-Mattaponi-Chickahominey-Patawomock -Metis born 1657 VA-died after 1677 ...

Dr Richard Bryant
in the Global, Find A Grave Index for Burials at Sea and other Select Burial Locations, 1300s-Current

Name: Dr Richard Bryant
Birth Date: 1651
Birth Place: Virginia, United States of America
Death Date: 15 May 1704
Death Place: Virginia, United States of America
Has Bio?: Y
Children: Ann Proctor

Note -- Richard Bryant-- in his will says his wife is holy while she is on the plantation & that his son Richard is to be FREE on the Christmas Day after he is 18 -- (this is an indicator that they were native)

STAFFORD COUNTY VA DEED & WILL BOOK 1699 - 1709; THE ANTIENT PRESS pp. 227-229 Will of RICHARD BRYANT. I Richard Bryant of Stafford County in Virginia being sick and weak of body .. give unto my son NATHANIEL BRYANT one horse colt that came of the mare called Black Bess & one cow & calf when he shall arrive to age of twenty one .. give unto my son RICHARD BRYANT all my land which I enjoy in Virginia his Mother having her life holy upon the Plantation where I now live as long as she lives .. give my son Richard Bryant all my wearing cloathes and my books and medicines & the mare called Fox and my bridle & saddle & the ffeather bed I purchased when I was a batchelour and the furniture belonging thereto and that he shall be free the Christmas day after he is 18

==================================
Involved in Headrights -- another indicator of Native

Richard Bryan, while returning to England, had a different sponsor, each time, this had something to do with "Headrights" of 50 acres, to each sponsor. While returning on business as a "marriner", he was able, to allow the individuals, a claim of 50 acres each, of which he probably was awarded something, of value. It is also of interest to note, Toby Smith, (one of his sponsor's) & Capt. Moore antleroy,(sponsor of Henry Bryan) were Brother-in-law's, as Capt. Moore Fantleroy's sister married Toby Smith. Capt. Fantleroy (sometime spelled Fountleroy) bought 4000 acres, from the Indians on the waters of Pumunkey River. He later had to return, all but, 500 acres,
as the British claimed he did not pay enough to the Indians. Note: later in the 17 th century the British "banned" individals from buying land from the Indians

There were initially no stated restrictions on point of origin. While the vast majority of 17th century immigrants to Virginia came from England, persons entering Virginia from Europe, the Caribbean, Africa, or even from other North American colonies were also legitimate headrights. There are several known cases of headrights who had simply moved across the Potomac River from Maryland. Some of the Indians claimed as headrights must surely have migrated from other mainland colonies.

https://genfiles.com/articles/headrights/

The Bryan's from London, England (Middlesex Co.) were Marriners. Bryan Immigrants from London were: Thomas, William, Henry, Edward, John, & Richard. William & Edward migrated to North Carolina in 1722. The others remained in Virginia. Richard Bryan returned to England at least twice and returned to Lancaster Co. & King George Co.,Virginia. Some of the sponsors were: Pactrick Miller, sponsored Thomas Bryan, 1655, Lancaster Co. Va. Robert Saven ? Co. sponsored John Bryan 1654. Abraham Moon & co. sponsored William Bryan. Capt. Moore Fantleroy, sponsored Henry Bryan, 1654 King George Co. Va. & Richard Bryan, was sponered br Christopher Boon, Westmoreland Co, Va. 1654, Thomas Hackett ? Co. & Toby Smith, Lancaster Co. Va. 1654.

GENEALOGIES OF VIRGINIA FAMILIES" Vol. I and Vol IV; indexed by Judith McGhan by Baltimore Publishing Co. page 86:"The Will of Richard Bryan (Book Z, p. 227) dated April 5, 1703.
Probate recorded May 15, 1704,

pg.87 "They all lived in that part of Stafford County lying on the Rappahannock above Muddy Creek which, on the election of King George, became a part of that county and remained so until 1777."

====================================

There are 17.53 miles from King George to Stafford in northwest direction and 30 miles (48.28 kilometers) by car, following the VA 3 route.

King George and Stafford are 36 minutes far apart, if you drive non-stop.

There are 68.29 mi between Lancaster, Virginia and stafford, virginia and there are 88 mi (141.62 kilometers) by road.

It would take 1 hour 50 mins to go from Lancaster, Virginia to stafford, virginia.
========================
There are 41.94 mi between westmoreland, virginia and Stafford, Virginia and there are 62 mi (99.78 kilometers) by road.

It would take 1 hour 30 mins to go from westmoreland, virginia to Stafford, Virginia.

The 3 directly above posts are in reply to Kathryn Forbes also the 2 above her post

"There were many people named Bryant in Virginia at this time. The Stafford County Richard Bryant didn’t go back and forth to England and is not recorded as a headright."

You are completely misunderstanding Richard Bryant’s will. The word ‘holy’ has nothing to do with church or sanctity it is the word WHOLLY meaning completely. His widow has the right to live where she has always lived for the rest of her life. And the son being “free” at eighteen means he is released from the requirement that he have a guardian over his property and wait until he is 21 years of age to receive it, not that he is somehow enslaved.

Richard Bryant of the above will didn’t travel back and forth to England. There were at least three Richard Bryant’s brought at others expense, two about 1650, so probably born about 1630, not our man, and one brought as an indentured servant in 1669, quite likely the writer of the above will.

It would take at least three or four days to travel 80 miles in 17th century/early 18th century Virginia, probably longer. Councilors from Stafford County were paid for a week of travel to Williamsburg.

People traveled that distance and even further all the time.

In response to "not our man"

I refer you to https://www.colonial-settlers-md-va.us/getperson.php?personID=I0393...

This has the very same will, as the parts stated above to and refers to Richard Bryant.

So yeah this is our man

Showing 61-90 of 223 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion