Christian Waddington (unknown) - Relationship to Ka Okee cut?

Started by Laura McKenzie, A125538 LM2 on Thursday, May 30, 2019
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 223 posts
5/30/2019 at 12:42 PM

I'd like to see discussion as to why this happened suddenly this week. Evidence one way or the other would be greatly appreciated.

5/30/2019 at 3:35 PM

Welcome to GENI where the GENI gods make the history, DNA does not matter.

5/30/2019 at 5:23 PM

I HAVE to BELIEVE that things FALL apart in order to come BACK together....
This is another line that has DNA and personal knowledge connecting a group of us.
I am NOT an expert on this line so I invite others who are or claim to be.

5/30/2019 at 6:02 PM

The Christian mentioned is born 1601, so obviously cannot have been the same person as Christian, who deposed she was born 1637.

I invite scrutiny of the official Pettus pedigrees from England.

5/30/2019 at 6:19 PM

Here’s about Thomas Pettus from the Encyclopedia of Virginia Biography:

http://vagenweb.org/tylers_bios/vol1-11.htm

[Page 111]
Pettus, Thomas, first appears in the Virginia records as included in the commission to the councillors at the beginning of Berkeley's administration, Aug. 9, 1641. He probably came to the colony about that time. He was present at meetings as late as 1651, but in this year seems to have lost his seat on the arrival of the parliamentary commissioners. The house of burgesses, however, elected him a councillor in 1652 and reëlected him a number of times afterwards. Upon Berkeley's reappointment to the governorship at the time of the restoration, in 1660, the King again commissioned Pettus a councillor. Colonel Pettus made his home at "Littletown" on the James river, not far below Jamestown. The date of his death is not known.

—-

So if he had children born before 1640, they would have been born in England.

5/30/2019 at 6:53 PM

Who's starting this rumor? 😡

Christian Pettus Martin, 1636-1701, was the mother of Christian Martin who married William Evans. Some of you have him as Evan Williams. That is incorrect.

Francis Waddington was the 2nd husband

5/30/2019 at 7:12 PM

URL: http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~darburns/elkins/reports/immigrants.html
URL title: Elkins Genealogy
Note: "MARRIAGES OF RICHMOND COUNTY VIRGINIA 1668-1853" by Geo. H. S. King:
pg. 64: ELKINS, RICHARD (son of Ralph) married by 12 January 1695 Mary Williams, daughter of Evan and Christian Williams; they have a son JAMES ELKINS, a minor, who is to be educated. DB #2, p. 87; DB #6, p,.37.

——

I know I saw the Marriage record, probably at Ancestry. Are we interpreting the record incorrectly?

5/30/2019 at 7:18 PM

this is interesting.

—-

From http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~darburns/elkins/reports/immigrants.html

RALPH ELKIN DIED BETWEEN 7 APRIL 1690 AND 9 JULY 1690
p.109-Court held 9 Sept.1690, page 83: RICHARD ELKIN, the son of RALPH ELKIN, late of this County dcsd made petition for a Probate of the last Will & Testament of his Father, he being executor. Petition granted. Ordered that George Lodge, Joseph Sumner, and John Grigsby shall appraise the estate of Ralph Elkin deced.
p.135-Court held 14 Nov. 1690: RICHARD BRYANT, complained that RALPH ELKIN, dcsd, did order his son RICHARD ELKIN to pay one good steer for his care medicines and attention of him in his last illness which Richard Elkins refuses to pay...prays judgement; ordered that Richard Elkin shall pay the steer or five hundred pounds of tobacco...

"VIRGINIA HISTORICAL GENEALOGIES" by John B. Boddie-1954.
pg.69; Grigsby of Stafford County, VA
John Grigsby removed to Stafford previous to August 18, 1686, for James Ashton of Stafford, in his will of that date, leaves RICHARD ELKIN100 acres adjoining upon John Grigsby of "the 1/4 dividend" (10 V. 292).

James Ashton was brother of John Ashton of Stafford whose will was made in 1675,sworn to 6 day, 7 month, 1682, and probated January 26, 1682-83. (Sweeney, p. 88)....brother, James Ashton to be exr. but after his death to my cousin John Ashton of Russell St., at the Adam and Eve in London.
On September 9, 1690, John Grigsby was one of the appraisers of the estate of RALPH ELKIN, father of Richard Elkin, (45 V. 21).
——

He (Grigsby) may have been related to the Ashtons and Elkins.

——

I’d think so, since “Grigsby” could have been the married name of Christian1’s sister:

unknown ‘John’ Golber?

I think possibly your getting relationships mixed up.

It is my understanding that Christian PETTUS/PETTIS is the one that was married to John Martin. She was the daughter of Thomas Pettus/Kaokee; grandaughter of Thomas Pettus/Cecily King & Kocoum/Pocahontas

John Martin/Christian Pettus had a daughter Christian Martin who was married to Evan Williams.

Good evidence has come to light in the past few years that immigrant ancestor, Thomas Pettus, married Ka-Okee, daughter of Pocahontas by her first husband, Kocoum, an Indian brave who died in a battle with the Susquehanna tribe!

Although Thomas remarried after Ka-Okee died c1637, the line of descent from his second wife, Elizabeth (Freeman) Duirrent, (Question here one source says that Elizabeth was originally a Richards information below) apparently ended before 1700, when his only known granddaughter, Elizabeth Pettus, died underage and unmarried.

According to this source, living Pettuses who descend from the immigrant Thomas also descend from Pocahontas's daughter, Ka-Okee! He expresses surprise that this connection, which is "sacred tradition" for three distinct native American tribes in Virginia, is also known by certain members of the Pettus family who had heard it from their grandparents!

There is a question over which Pettus married Ka-Okee, but circumstantial evidence makes Thomas the most likely of the Pettus immigrants to have married her.

For example, Thomas held a large tract of land in what is now Stafford County, Virginia. According to tribal historians, his land adjoined a tract held by Chief Wahaganoche and another by his daughter Christian Pettus who married John Martin. Christian was the name of Thomas's sister and grandmother (Norwich records).

Thomas sold his land to Mr. Henry Meese, who was married to another native American woman related to Ka-Okee. More extensive DNA tests would be helpful.

The key question is whether Stephen Pettus who was a landholder in New Kent County, Virginia, in 1662, was Thomas's son by Ka-Okee.

The line through Thomas Pettus, Virginia immigrant, probably goes as follows:

Thomas Petyous and (?)

John Pethous and Jone (?)

Thomas Pettus and Christian DeThick

Thomas and Cecily King

Thomas Pettus (immigrant) and Ka Okee (daughter of Pocahontas)

Stephen Pettus (landowner in New Kent Co. in 1662) and (?)

Stephen Pettus II (grantor in the sale of the Pettus estates in 1700) and Mary Dabney

Mary Pettus and Chillian Palmer

The fact that Stephen II was a grantor in 1700 and the fact that his known male descendants have DNA matching that of a native American tribesman who has traced his ancestry to Ka-Okee gives me confidence that this lineage is right.

1. Thomas Pettus II, who had been married to Mourning Burgh, died in 1687.

2. An inventory of Thomas's estate shows that it belonged to his "Orphand." Unfortunately the orphan was not named in the inventory.

3. A York County record shows that Maj. Lewis Burwell was the executor of Thomas's will (now lost).

4. According to Burwell's attorney, some tobacco claimed by Mourning Pettus, widow of Thomas Pettus II, was the "proper estate" of Stephen Pettus. This led me to the conclusion that Thomas had left the tobacco to Stephen and that Stephen--not Elizabeth--was the orphan heir. Apparently, Burwell was holding the tobacco until Stephen came of age.

4. Stephen was a grantor in the sale of the Pettus estates in 1700 (see his signature on the deed) to James Bray, Jr. I concluded that the sale took place after Stephen came of age. BTW Elizabeth had already died.

The most logical explanation of the above evidence is that Thomas II was Stephen's father. Since there was no other evidence to the contrary, the available evidence met the so-called Genealogical Proof Standard adopted some years ago by professional genealogists.
An online query by a tribal historian regarding the identity of Christian Pettus's father led this source to do some last-minute research. That research led to the discovery of new evidence that Christian was the daughter of the immigrant Thomas and Ka-Okee, daughter of Pocahontas.

Because the above-mentioned Stephen's male line of descent carries the same Y-DNA as that of Thomas's other known male descendants from Ka-Okee, that means that Stephen was descended from Ka-Okee and not from Mourning. Most likely, Stephen II was the son of Stephen I and Stephen I was the son of Thomas I and Ka-Okee. This explains why Stephen II got that name.

Thomas Pettus, immigrant, did marry Elizabeth Durrent, widow of Richard Durrent sometime before 1643. They had a son Thomas Pettus II who was a minor when his father died c1661. Thomas II was the father of Elizabeth Pettus , who was also left an orphan when Thomas died abroad in 1687. Elizabeth died unmarried and still a minor sometime before 1700.

The preceding statements are confirmed by extant records.

The new theory, which is based upon good evidence, both oral and written, has Thomas Pettus, immigrant, marrying Ka-Okee, daughter of Pocahontas and Kocoum, as his first wife about 1631. Thus, Elizabeth Durrent was Thomas's second wife. Also, Thomas and Ka-Okee were the parents of Christian Pettus of Stafford County, Virginia. Thomas and Ka-Okee also had other children, including Stephen Pettus I, who settled in New Kent County, Virginia. I now believe that he was the father of Stephen Pettus II, who was a grantor in the sale of the Pettus estates in 1700.

If this theory is correct, then Thomas Pettus II of Littletown plantation was the half-brother of Christian Pettus and Stephen Pettus I.

The researcher reports that my line descends from Stephen Pettus II. The lineage discussed connects Mary (Pettus) Palmer to Stephen Pettus and Mary Dabney and is a matter of record.

Bill Deyo is the tribal historian of the Patawomeck tribe. The researcher first learned of the Pocahontas connection from the historian of another tribe a few weeks before coming upon Deyo's posting. That historian thought that Ka-Okee had married Theodore Pettus of Norwich and Jamestown. Theodore was Thomas Pettus's younger brother.

Exchanges with Deyo led the anonymous source to the conclusion that Thomas--not Theodore--married Ka-Okee. His DNA matches that of your Stephen's male descendants.

One of the key pieces of evidence mentioned in the transcript is the fact that William Strachey, historian at Jamestown, mentioned the marriage of Pocahontas and Kocoum.

The SP who married Mary Dabney was Stephen II. Research in 2012 led him to conclude that the line of descent from Thomas Pettus, immigrant, and his second wife Elizabeth Durrent, ended with the death of his only known grandchild, Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Pettus II and (?). He suspects that TP II was married twice and that his second wife, Mourning Burgh, was not Elizabeth's mother. In any case, nothing on record indicates that the possible first wife was Elizabeth Dabney, as has often been claimed by early family historians.

The name of the first Stephen's wife is not mentioned in any record of him thus far discovered.

Most of the early Virginia court and church records were destroyed at one time or another. We are fortunate to have the few that have survived, so we are forced to piece together family lineages based upon fragmentary evidence. That is one reason that the genealogy of early generations in colonial Virginia is so difficult.

The anonymous source found key records in Maryland, England, and even Holland. The tribal traditions also helped solve some riddles.

Mary Pettus who married Chillian Palmer was the daughter of John Pettus and his wife Sarah Lipscomb. John was the son of Stephen Pettus and his wife Mary Dabney. John and Sarah settled on Twitty's Creek in what is now Charlotte County, where he died in 1781. He sold his property to John Pettus who married Susannah Winston (?). John died in 1799. His home, Avondale, which was built before the Revolution, is probably the oldest standing Pettus home in Virginia, but Willie C. Pettus, who was born at Avondale, remembers seeing the ruins of your John's home and still has the loft ladder from it. The original house probably burned.

When another John Pettus, who was sheriff of Louisa County, Virginia, died in 1770, your John Pettus traveled from Charlotte County to Louisa County Court where he was made guardian of Barbara Overton Pettus and William Overton Pettus, who were orphans. Your John took the two children back to Charlotte County. Later, after Barbara came of age, the source John's son, Thomas, paid her bond and married her. Thomas and Barbara lived at Waverly plantation near Avondale.

Everything is fully documented by court and church records mentioned. The genealogical issue for you is the identity of Stephen's father. Originally the source was convinced by the evidence at hand that Stephen was the son of Thomas Pettus II of Littletown plantation. He now believes that he was the son of Stephen Pettus I. SP I apparently was the son of Thomas Pettus, immigrant, and Ka-Okee.

The primary basis for that conclusion is that male descendants of your SP have the DNA that matches that of the tribal historian who claims descent from Thomas and Ka-Okee. Of course, the DNA evidence does not distinguish between Thomas and one of his brothers, Theodore, who arrived in Virginia in 1623, but Theodore disappeared from the Virginia records after 1626. My guess is that he was one of the settlers who died in Virginia or, more likely, at sea, since his last appearance in court concerned a dispute over cargo brought into the colony by ship.
http://www.southern-style.com/dabney.htm

Additionally, as I understand it Christian Pettis (daughter of Thomas Pettis/KaOkee) (first husband John Martin) married secondly Francis Waddington and they had a son named Francis Waddington who married Margaret "Mary" Thomasin.

1. Thomas was the son, baptized in 1610 at St. Peter Hungate Church in Norwich, England, of William Pettus and his wife Mary Gleane of Norwich, England.
Thomas was the son, baptized in 1599 at St. Simon and St. Jude parish in Norwich, England, of Thomas Pettus and his wife Cecily King.
2. Thomas was the grandson of Sir John Pettus, Kt.
Thomas was Sir John’s nephew. Sir John did have a grandson named Thomas, who was made a baronet, but he died in England in 1654, while Thomas Pettus was still a member of the Council in Virginia.

3. Thomas Pettus served under Sir Thomas Dale in the Low Countries during the Thirty Years War.
Thomas Pettus was only 10 years old when Dale’s service in the Low Countries ended in 1609.
4. Because of his relationship to Sir John Pettus, Kt., who was a member of the London Company, Thomas Pettus was selected and sent to the colony with the rank of captain in charge of 40 men.
Thomas’s emigration to Virginia followed his acquittal of a murder charge in England in 1629. By 1631, Thomas had disposed of his future interest in certain estates and departed for Virginia.
5. Thomas married in England before coming to Virginia.
No record of the marriage exists. This statement is probably based upon the fact that a Thomas Pettus, Jr., was in Virginia by 1644. He probably was the son of William Pettus and his wife Mary Gleane, but other candidates mentioned in English records should be considered.
6. Thomas married Elizabeth Mouring in Virginia.
Thomas married Elizabeth (Freeman) Durrent, a widow, after arriving in Virginia. The name Mouring is similar to Mourning, the name of Thomas II’s wife.
7. Thomas married, as his first wife in Virginia, Ka-Okee, daughter of Pocahontas and Kocoum, an Indian brave.
After learning that the seat of the Patawomeck tribe, of which Pocahontas was a member, was located on Potomac Creek where Thomas held 1,000 ac., and after hearing from Pettuses in other branches of the family about a “Pocahontas connection,” I have now come to accept supposed marriage as true.

8. Thomas and Ka-Okee had children who were the ancestors of persons living today.
I have communicated with at least two members of the Patawomeck tribe who trace their descent from the marriage of Ka-Okee to a Pettus.

9. Thomas and Elizabeth’s son Thomas was born in 1644.
Thomas and Elizabeth’s son Thomas was an orphan in 1672.

10. Thomas, Jr., held the rank of captain.
Extant records refer to Thomas as “Mr. Thomas Pettus” or simply as “Thomas Pettus.”
11. Thomas II married (1) Elizabeth Dabney and (2) Mourning Glenn.
No Elizabeth Dabney is mentioned in 17th C. Virginia records. The Dabney name was linked to the Pettus family through the marriage of Stephen Pettus to Mary, daughter of William Dabney after 1700. Thomas Pettus II married Mourning Burgh, daughter of William Burgh. A Mourning Glenn married a Harris in Louisa Co., Va., in the 18th C.

12. Thomas and Elizabeth had a son, John Dabney Pettus, who married Ann Overton.
While a John Pettus may have married Ann Overton before 1712, he was not a party to the sale of Thomas’s estate in 1700. The name, John Dabney Pettus, was contrived by an early family historian who couldn’t decide whether the name was simply John or Dabney. The name Dabney did not come into the family until the 18th C.
13. Thomas died in 1698 while serving as a vestryman for Bruton Parish Church in Williamsburg.
Thomas died in Holland in 1687.
14. Thomas was buried in Bruton Parish Church.
No supporting evidence.
15. Thomas Pettus, immigrant, was the progenitor of the Pettus family of Virginia.
Only one line of descent meets the requirements for the Genealogical Proof Standard. Many Pettuses who lived in the 18th C. are not in that line, even though records suggest that they were all related. For example, John, son of Stephen Pettus, sold land in Charlotte Co. to another John Pettus. Also, the first-mentioned John became the guardian of two orphan children of John Pettus, sheriff of Louisa Co. https://pettusheritage.wordpress.com/2016/11/07/misinformation-on-t...

Additionally Christina Pettis (daughter of Kahokee/Thomas Pettus & wife of John Martin) Great Grandmother was Christian DeThick/Thomas Pettus.

Apparently the name Christian as well as Thomas was passed down thru the family for generations adding to the confusion.

5/30/2019 at 8:29 PM

I can’t read the Deyo again right now & I was working bottom up.

This started with the question: who was the mother of Ralph Elkins, I

Elizabeth Elkins or 1st wife, Mary Elkins ?

We had discussions about this, and came to realize “had” to be second wife or “grandmother” Christian Waugh would have made a deed of gift to Ralph also. Therefore, Ralph was a son of Elizabeth Bryant and born after the death of her father.

The Christian’s had been conflated: there were 2, Mother and Daughter.

The 2nd Christian married 3 times but Mary (Williams) Elkins is her only known child. She died 1724 as Christian Hawkins, index to her will on file (will itself lost in the Civil War).

The 1st Christian (Mother of the 2nd) married at least twice, to John Martin, and died as Christian Waddington around 1701.

Another of her children was Anne McPherson who deposed that Frances Lampton was her cousin: daughter of her mother’s sister.

Therefore, the first Christian was the sister of unknown ‘Eleanor’ Goldsby

And that’s all I know so far.

COL. THOMAS PETTUS, Esqr., one
of the Councill of State, 1,000 acs.
Northumberland Co., 10 Feb. 1652, p.
171. Nly. upon Potomeck Cr. & Ely.
upon land of Sir Thomas Lunsford.
Trans, of 20 pers.*
https://archive.org/stream/cavalierspioneer00nuge/cavalierspioneer0...

5/30/2019 at 8:35 PM

Christian was a popular girl’s name in the West counties, you can’t read anything into that to indicate “family of origin.”

Unfortunately we have terrible vital Records for Colonial Virginia. But we do have property records. The property transfers seem to indicate the families of Waugh, Martin, Elkins, Bryant, Waddington, Grigsby are affiliated.

I haven’t seen anything on property affiliating with Pettus. Has anyone else?

MR. HENRY MEESE, 1000 acs.
Stafford Co., 20 Oct. 1665, p. 432,
(513). S. side of Potomack Cr., beg.
on E. side of a swamp & small gutt de-
viding this & another tract in possession
of sd. Meese, extending S. &c. to greate
Eastern br. of Wipsewasin Cr. includ-
ing a poynt of land on the W. side of
sd. Cr. abutting upon Potomack Cr. &c.
Granted to Col. Thomas Pettus, Esqr.,
15 Mar. 1658 & by him & Eliz. his
wife assigned to sd. Meese & ack'd. in
court by Major Edward Griffeth, Atty.
of sd. Pettus & wife, as by records of
W'moreland Co. will more fully appear.

5/30/2019 at 8:36 PM

Where is Northumberland in relation to King George County?

CAPT. THOMAS PETTUS, one of
his Majesties Councill of State, 886 acs.,
James City Co., Apr. 11, 1643, Page 65.
Lyeing near Jockeys Neck, bounded E.
& N. upon Secretary's land, E. N. E. &
N. N. E. upon Mr. Secretary Kemp,
N. N. W. upon Geo. Mallen, S. W. up-
on Gleab land Cr., S. upon the Gleab
land & S. E. upon a br. of Archers Hope
Cr. 250 acs. by intermarriage with the
relict & Exix. of Richard Durrant, &
350 acs. by purchase of patent from
Alexander Stoner, & 286 acs. for trans,
of 6 pers.,* and 14 acs. remaining due.

APT. THOMAS PETUS (Pettus)
one of his Majesty's Councill of State,
886 acs. James City Co., Apr. 7, 1643,
Page 40. Neere Jockeys Neck, E. &
N. upon the Secretary's land, E. N. E.
& N. N. E. upon land of Mr. Secretary
Kemp, N. W. upon Mr. George Mal-
lam, S. W. upon the Gleab land Cr., S.
upon the Gleab land & S. E. upon a br.
of Archers Hope Cr. 250 acs. due by
intermarriage with the relict & Execu-
trix of Richard Durant, Deed., who had
a patent dated 24 Aug. 1635; & 350
acs. by purchase of a patent to Alexan-
der Stoner, & 286 acs. for trans, of 6
pers.* 14 acs. still due upon the last
person nominated.

CAPT. THOMAS PETTUS, 450 acs.,
1 Jan. 1643, p. 366. Due by order of
court & for trans, of 10 pers: John
Fickling, Edwd. Wright, Tho. Sidley,
Peter Talbott, Tho. Pettus, Junr., Geo.
Codd, Tobias Cook, John Vaine, Cath.
Barker. Incomplete.

COL. THOMAS PETTUS, Esqr., one
of the Councill of State, 1,000 acs.
Northumberland Co., 10 Feb. 1652, p.
171. Nly. upon Potomeck Cr. & Ely.
upon land of Sir Thomas Lunsford.
Trans, of 20 pers.*

CAPT. DAVID MANSELL, 600 acs.
Westmoreland Co., upon S. side of
Pecomeck Cr., 6 Oct. 1654, p. 297.
Beg. at a branch of sd. creek dividing
this from land of Col. Tho. Pettus.
Trans, of 12 pers: Fra. Hutchins, Tho.
Newman, Ben. Venison, Eliz. Lucas,
Eliz. Moales, Edw. Phipps, Hannah
Huntly, Tho. Army, Clerepian, Ann
Jones, Jane Mansfeild, Eliz. Mansfeild.

AZARUS THOMAS, 250 acs. New
Kent Co., 12 Oct. 1655, p. 380. On
N. E. side of Richohock Path, from a
marked tree of Mathew Williamson to
Charles Edmonds &c. Trans, of 5 pers.*
Note: Assigned unto Step. Pettus &
renewed in his name, 10 Mar. 1662

OL. THOMAS PETTUS, 1000 acs.
Westmoreland Co., 15 Mar. 1658, p.
270, (371). Nly. upon Patomeck Cr.,
Ely. upon land of Sir Thomas Lunsford.
Granted 10 Feb. 1652 & renewed for
trans, of 20 pers: Jeninge Clauson,
John Wyatt, John Harrwell, Nicholas
Bond, Elizabeth Willett, Marg. Denby,
Georg Huttons, Joseph Castle, James
Clerke, John Doe, John Ponder, John
Moodall, James Moore, Wm. Lenox,
Andrew Marshall, Wm. Read, Robert
Duckett, David Suddon, John Consider,
Jellian Crone (or Crons).

M. WILLKINS, 886 acs. lieing
neere Jockeys necke in James City Co.,
4 Feb. 1662, p. 285, (243). Bounded
E. & N. upon the Secretaries land,
E.N.E. & N.N.E. upon land of Mr.
Secretarie Kemp, N.W. upon land of
Mr. Geo. Malum, S.W. upon the Gleabe
land Cr., S. upon the Gleabe land &
S.E. upon a cr. of Archers Hope Cr.
Granted Capt. Tho. Pettus 11 Apr.
1643 & by him sold to sd. Wilkins.

CAPT. DANLL. PARKE, 528 acs.
James City Co., 24 Mar. 1662/3, p.
303, (275). W. side of Rickahock
path, Nly. on the Cart path that goes
from Mr. Sorrells to Mr. Bakers, Ely.
on Rickahock path, S.E. on Col. Pettus
& S.W. on the path that goes to Chicka-
hominy Gate & on Mr. Sorrells land.
Part thereof sold by Christopher Harris
& the residue assigned to him by Mr.
Robt. Sorrell.

JOHN ADAMS, 220 acs. New Kent
Co., 16 Feb. 1662, p. 308, (285). 50
acs. adj. devdt. of John Basbies (or
Busbies) of 350 acs., running W. by
N. to Arrow Reed Sw., thence N.N.E.
&c. 170 acs. N.E. on sd. Basbies land,
E. & S.E. on Stephen Pettus land, S.W.
on Mathew Williams land & N.W. on
Rickahock path & the young Knights
land & N.Ely, on the reedy swamp. 50

GEORGE BARKER, 51 acs. in Jock-
ies Neck in James (City) Co. in Vir-
ginia, now in the occupation of sd.
Barker, 27 Oct. 1663, p. 312, (293).
Beg. at a persimon tree standing on a
poynt & extending along a small swamp
N.N.W. to the Secretary's Land &c.
Granted to Col. Tho. Pettus, who sold
to sd. Barker.

WM. MILES & WM. COOKE, Sr.,
1100 acs. Isle of Wight Co., 29 Sept.
1664, p. 399, (460). On the second br.
of the Black Water, beg. at upper cor.
tree of Jno. Olivers land, running down
the swamp S.W. &c. to Mr. Englands
cor. tree, thence S. &c. Trans, of 22
pers: Henry Wilson, Job Virgin, Wm.
Gobson, Jno. Jnoson, Arthur Jones,
Samll. Jenkins, Edward Miller, Sampson
Clarke, Arthur Jones, Peter Plumer,
John Harris, Margtt. Jones, Hanay
Boyce, Jno. Jackson, Stephen Pettus,
Wm. Stephens, Wm. Edwards, Edward
James, Tho. Petegrew, Stephen Wms.,
Edwd. Williamson.

MR. HENRY MEESE, 1000 acs.
Stafford Co., 20 Oct. 1665, p. 432,
(513). S. side of Potomack Cr., beg.
on E. side of a swamp & small gutt de-
viding this & another tract in possession
of sd. Meese, extending S. &c. to greate
Eastern br. of Wipsewasin Cr. includ-
ing a poynt of land on the W. side of
sd. Cr. abutting upon Potomack Cr. &c.
Granted to Col. Thomas Pettus, Esqr.,
15 Mar. 1658 & by him & Eliz. his
wife assigned to sd. Meese & ack'd. in
court by Major Edward Griffeth, Atty.
of sd. Pettus & wife, as by records of
W'moreland Co. will more fully appear.

DARCY OATLY, 350 acs. James
City Co., 10 Feb. 1657, p. 168, (250).
On N. side of James Riv., beg. at the
main swamp & running along Edward
Kinge (or Knight) marked trees &c.
Trans, of 7 pers: Darcy Oatly, Jno.
Bayly, Wm. Stronge, Xph. Wingfeild,
Ralph Elkins, Math. Wms. (Williams),
Phillip Gapper. Assigned unto Thomas
Hollyday & renewed in his name.

RALPH ELKINS, 30 acs. Yorke Co.,
13 Jan. 1661, p. 318, (437). S.W. on
the greate Horse path, S.E. on land of
Goodman Jones, N.E. on Stephen Gar-
ner, N.W. on Georg Wyatt & old Farr.
Trans, of Peter Nicholls.

MR. RICHARD YOUNG, SR., 1700
acs. Gloster Co., 20 June 1665, p. 211,
(112). 900 acs. part in Waire Parish,
beg. at marked tree of Thomas Todd on
W. side of Cow Cr. on the head of
Waire Riv. in Mockjack Bay, running
S.S.W. &c. 800 acs. in sd. parish upon
the No. River in sd. Bay, beg. at mouth
of back Cr., running W.N.W. until it
meets sd. 900 acs. &c. The sd. 1700
acs. found to be within the bounds of
2400 acs. granted to Edmond Dawber
28 Nov. 1642 & by his heir sold to sd.
Young & John Price, both of London,
17 June 1659; Sd. Price dying, sd.
Young as survivor received the whole
patent, due for trans, of 34 pers: Isaack
Stephens, Wm. Lannaman, Jno.
Thoroughgood, Humphry Buckley, Tho-
mas Jones, Jno. Nelson, Job Sutton,
Margtt. Kate (or Kale), Thomas Bayly,
Jno. Aiden (or Hiden), Edw. Smith,
James Simmons, Tho. Greene, Rich.
Mannering, Jno. Bearls (or Bearts),
James Goodwin, 8 Negroes; Wm.
Smith, Ralph Elkins, Jonathan Mott,
Ann Harper, Mary Harper, James
Nelson, Augustine Skiner, Wm. Ayhurt,
Gabriell Norton, Jno. Hay.

The Pettus records above mentions Matthew Williams as does the above records for Elkins.

Pettus records also mention Henry Meese.

The area was occupied at the time of English settlement by the Algonquian-speaking historic tribes of the Wicocomico and Chickacoan. The county was created by the Virginia General Assembly in 1648 during a period of rapid population growth and geographic expansion. Settlement began in this area of the Northern Neck around 1635. Originally known as the Indian district Chickacoan, the area was first referred to as Northumberland (a namesake of Northumberland County, England) in the colonial records in 1644. The following year, John Mottrom served as the first burgess for the territory in the House of Burgesses, which met at the capital of the Virginia Colony at Jamestown.

The colonial court ordered the two tribes to merge and by 1655, assigned them a reservation of 4,400 acres (18 km2) near Dividing Creek, south of the Great Wicomico River.[3] By the early 1700s, the Wicocomico tribe was greatly reduced, and English colonists took control of their lands. They were believed to be extinct as a tribe as, landless, they disappeared from the historical record. Descendants of the last weroance are working to regain recognition as a tribe, the Wicocomico Indian Nation.[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northumberland_County,_Virginia

King and Queen County was established in 1691 from New Kent County. The county is named for King William III and Queen Mary II of England.[3] King and Queen County is notable as one of the few counties in the United States to have recorded a larger population in the 1790 census than in the 2010 one.

Among the earliest settlers of King and Queen County was Roger Shackelford, an emigrant from Old Alresford, Hampshire, England, after whom the village of Shacklefords, Virginia, in King and Queen County is named. Shackelford's descendants continued to live in the county, and by the nineteenth century had intermarried with the Taliaferro, Beverley, Thornton and Sears families, among others.[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_and_Queen_County,_Virginia

Found this on Francis Waddington but it shows him married to someone by name of Joanna

https://www.colonial-settlers-md-va.us/getperson.php?personID=I0487...

5/30/2019 at 9:18 PM

That’s Francis ll.

Linda, can you look at the Geni profiles? I have all that in them already. Spent days. :(

Having problems finding things on Waddington but finding a ton on Pettus.

Apparently there were 2 Thomas Pettus (Uncle & Nephew) that came to America at about the same time - around 1637 or 38. One of them was fleeing from murder charges in England.

The Pettus family were influential and arranged the flight and obscured the records.

Pages 844-872
https://books.google.com/books?id=55I38FXWyPgC&pg=RA1-PA844&amp...

Above was posted in error so i deleted it.

Col. Thomas Pettus

5/30/2019 at 10:12 PM

I was pointing out that " Christian " was a family name for at least one woman in the Pettus family. Christian (1601), also reportedly sister of Thomas Pettus, had a grandmother named Christian. Christian (1637) could have been named for her aunt. I am collecting more. This is just one small bit of info.

5/31/2019 at 1:36 AM

My understanding is that the Pettus / Pettis / later Petty? Family is large, complicated and obscure, particularly the early arrivers to Virginia; and that there are different ways the pedigrees have been put together. Altogether a huge project and hopefully out of scope. :)

I’m just working on a tiny piece: the Elkins line. And so far I have nothing to put Elkins with Pettus (including naming rhythms).

What I think could be a productive area where there are facts to be sorted in is pursuing the other children of the 1st Christian. The Martin side “may” go to Fugate for example and it would make a lot of people very happy if that could be firmed up or ruled out. And there’s Anne McPherson and her three marriages. Do we have those trees complete? I doubt it ...

Showing 1-30 of 223 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion