Return of GEDCOM Import

Started by Mike Stangel on Friday, February 22, 2019
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 181-191 of 191 posts

Private User, yes I know and I asked to put more/better information on that page.

It does not help that all users are directed to their own gedcom page when they try to look a gedcom document from another user. That makes it a bit harder to help others users.

There is some additional info on https://www.geni.com/projects/Connecting-to-the-Big-Tree/17983 and https://www.geni.com/projects/What-to-do-after-you-have-uploaded-a-...

The users that import a GEDCOM are mostly new to Geni so I think that page would be a good starting point to give some general information on Geni and preparing for making a GEDCOM that can be used with minimal problems by Geni.
With that in mind I think the page is also missing info on the use of different languages,a link to the naming conventions (like not using uppercase names and having at least estimated dates (so default privacy will be correct).
A description of the whole import process, the idea of the Geni World Tree, privacy and the difficulties for a basic user in finding a matching profile would also be most welcome.
I think it would also help to put some info (or a link) there with some info on why merging will create tree and data conflicts and how and by whome these can be handled on Geni.
A link to https://wiki.geni.com/index.php/Curators and https://www.geni.com/discussions/216411 might also help.

My relative who did this import, responded to my Geni-messages, saying

"First this all started because I was finally trying to complete my basic tree accurately. The best way for me to see all of the data corruptions and misunderstandings was to down load all three profiles I have via GEDCOM from MyHeritage, Geni and Ancestry into a desktop program (because a spreadsheet is too cumbersome). So I used Family Tree Builder which is a myHeritage product.

Then I went through and corrected people from what I knew from first hand knowledge and info from living relatives and interpreting mistakes in public data bases. Even social security, death, immigration and other public databases are rife with glaring mistakes that are easily contested. I don't use Family Search at all because it has so many interpretive errors.
My intention was to upload the result back to all three sources so I would have a starting point for future research that at least agreed with itself. "

Nothing in Geni's GEDCOM description would have alerted him to the fact that was not a good idea on Geni.
He has now used the info in https://www.geni.com/threads/6000000172217208271 to try to undo it.

Mike Stangel,

Could you please think about how to give users about to upload a GEDCOM some better information on the process so they know how to prepare the GEDCOM and about the consequences for themselves, other users and curators when uploading a GEDCOM.

Yeah, Job Waterreus and Mike Stangel, I think too that is very needed and useful !! Some come in Geni for the first time and directly start uploading, even without knowing anything about the 'culture of coöperation' experienced members just do adore so... (= not only free users, but I mean also the one's who pay for their contribution to global inter-action between different origines of genes)

Private User - There needs to be better info for those brand new to Geni -- but also for those who exported their Tree from Geni and are now importing it back in. Those folks know the profiles exist here -- but I do not think they realize
1) Exported info from the Overview Tab will be imported back in, labelled GEDCOM Note, starting "{geni:about_me} -" so when the new is merged with the original, you have both versions there - very ugly
2) for both old and new -- a Gedcom import from a well-documented Tree elsewhere creates "Documents" that provide basically no info beyond perhaps letting folks know there exists a relevant 1910 Census or 19w0 Census or etc. -- and if that Census has already been downloaded and then uploaded to the original profile, merging with the new imported one creates something icky in Documents
3) the new imported profile may have updated info - perhaps Boston, Suffolk County, Mass., USA not just USA and/or April 12, 1902 not cica 1901 -- but that new improved info will not show on the profile after the two are merged unless Geni chooses it as Primary Profile -- they can find it if they look in Data Conficts assuming no one Resolved the Data Conflicts (which many currently simply do to that of Primary Profile) and from Revision Tab to Review Merge -- but think this means they have not really saved themselves time, and will they even know to look?

Therefore SmartCopy is probably the much better route to go for syncing Geni with their other Tree or Trees.

Is there a way to specify the language of the names of a Gedcom import? All of my Russian language imports now have Cyrillic names in the English tags.

Pffft...no one pre 1800? What good is that? Seriously? MOST ppl active on this site most probalby has pre1600 family recorded. I mean why bother with this?

Evgeny Igorevich Fishgalov, I think you can specify the language when importing a GEDCOM (I is a long time ago I did the last import). You could test with a 1 person GEDCOM.

Aislinn - you gave the reason yourself -- "MOST ppl active on this site most probalby has pre1600 family recorded." -- therefore there already most probably are Profiles for them on Geni -- so it would be counter productive to add them again.

Geni is interested in Creating one World Tree. ONE PROFILE for each person, not a copy for each person active on Geni who has that ancestor, but just one copy for all of you for that common ancestor

Job Waterreus, nope: no such option yet.

As for as I can remember (not sure) it could use your account language setting to determine which language tab it will use.

Showing 181-191 of 191 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion