ATTENTION Curators, please assist

Started by Mike Stangel on Thursday, February 14, 2019
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

This discussion has been closed by an administrator.
Showing 9121-9150 of 9181 posts

Private User, I am not disagreeing that the change is probably correct to do, I am saying that before asking curators to do changes it should be discussed and agreed with the active profile managers.

Private User, because they are born less than 150 years ago, curators cannot merge them.

Private User, if you request the merges then the managers / family can approve the merges.

I'm wondering why one of the trees is marked as isolated. I usually don't see that in this area of the tree.

https://www.geni.com/merge/compare/6000000096702884306?return=match...

Private User the tree of John Henry Darby has been marked as duplicates that should be deleted. It doesn't display on the comparison page but if you look at his profile there is a warning banner.

I'd suggest that a curator has looked at the 2019 gedcom import adds no value to the existing tree and that rather than wasting time merging it they have marked it for deletion

Private User George Leas merged, please follow up.

Private User you said: "If I was a curator, I would merge it together..."

There has been a recent change to curator's ability to merge private profiles (and obviously living profiles default to private) which in some instances makes it impossible for curators to complete what previously was a simple merge.

This was a management decision it was not made by the curators. If you disapprove please contact Geni directly (management doesn't monitor this discussion thread).

Private User I unmerged the two Hendrik Bennema's but you need to check the two profiles now to make sure the unmerge worked correctly and that the profiles you added after the merge went to the correct profiles when split.

Please complete the merge.

Cintha W. Darby

@Alex Moes

Thank you and I will check both.

A living Peter Muncz is in this tree twice.
https://www.geni.com/family-tree/index/6000000143835290828#60000000...

But i cant merge one Peter with the other.
How can that be done?

A living Marianna Muncz nee Pesti is also in this tree twice
https://www.geni.com/family-tree/index/6000000143835143863#60000001...

(This may be less obvious for she appears as an appendage of her Hungarian husband.)

Same problem. Can someone merge one with the other?

It's an active Geni user, - may be you should back out, deleting duplicates of her close family instead?
That is at least my recommendation because she can raise a privacy complaint on you.

There are no privacy issues here Bjorn for I am actually in hourly contact with the lady who is new to Geni, so asked me to firstly do the investigation and then put the tree up. What I did not expect was for her to then follow through with her own Hungarian variation of it.

A further complication is that a cousin of hers has also T'd into the research from a different direction, and all the stuff that has been duplicated (sometimes triplicated) is sandwiched in the middle. As you write, the best thing for me to do was to remove any research of mine that has been duplicated, but that's impossible to do without firstly seeing what the other parties have done

Roy, the lady you are in hourly contact with should be able to do the merges no problem since the profiles are all within her Max Family.

Just explain to her how to do them -- using Actions in Profile for example. And/or share these directions with her. https://help.geni.com/hc/en-us/articles/229705547-How-do-I-merge-du...

Following up -- if she and/or her cousin choose not to merge, it may be because they do not want you seeing their private versions of the profiles, and either are unaware they can delete you as a Manager, or prefer not to do that.

All of us want the merge to go through, for our main aim is to tidy the tree by removing duplicates. But the issue is not who has the or ability confidence to do it, the issue is that all living people have private profiles, and because those duplicated profiles are for living people, the content cannot be viewed. So at present, none of us can identify which of our profiles is a duplicate of a profile constructed by one our colleagues, nor can we comment on its accuracy. Only the curators have that privilege, and that's why I have been seeking their help.

When done, the profiles of all these living people can continue to remain private and Marianne can take over the management entirely. My name has no reason to be there for I am not family, I just aided its construction. That being said, it would also be remiss of me to just turn my back and knowingly leave a family tree that I had helped construct on Geni with so many obvious problems and flaws, for others may interpret the resulting tree as an example of my own ineptitude.

Private User, what you have described is a universal source of frustration, especially for a person whose attention to detail and commitment to accuracy are priorities. Even as a Curator, I also encounter it sometimes. But the fact remains that the original creator of a profile and/or a living person owns the information on the profile, and we others do not. It is only after the death of the person, and after the close relatives no longer have vested interests in the publication of its details that the profile becomes common/property. As for me, my solution is to concentrate on my immeidate relatives (living or recently deceased) and older profiles (according to current rules, born 150 years ago or earlier).

The inevitable spin-off, unfortunately, is that I often see mistakes but have to simply leave them and move on...

The major problem is that I am trying on the behalf of a lady and her husband, to merge their Geni profiles with Geni duplicates of themselves. So its not a privacy issue at all, its the system that wont allow them to do it because they are both still living

She is shown here as her own sister, which she obviously isnt.
https://www.geni.com/family-tree/index/6000000143835290828

I cant tell which of her two husbands is which, or (as a cousin's Geni research is also involved) if she is now shown with 4 husbands because the info has actually been triplicated. I had hoped that Geni had a flexible curator who could easily solve this using a little common sense and ingenuity,

Private User,

If you can agree on that it may be an option to add each other to the family group while trying to clean up this part of the tree.
That way you should be able to see the concerning profiles and merge them.
It will however allow each of you to see all of eachothers private profiles so that could be a blocking factor.

Herman Booysen
"But the fact remains that the original creator of a profile and/or a living person owns the information on the profile, and we others do not."

This is something we can partly object against, as not everyone who adds a profile are the closest relative, or in fact, many times not a relative at all, the only thing they did, was to set up the profile first, and thereby with the new rules of theirs concent, may hinder relatives, or others to complete that tree.

Also, many times I have encountered a private profile, status living, with no parents at all, hindering others from giving them parents, = ancestors, = connect them to the world tree. Sometimes those profiles set to private is wrong as the profile is a public notable person of common interest.

If a creator are not willing to collaborate with others, or merging duplicates, Geni will be a site in a state of disorder, where the very idea that every unique profile, = person, not will be displayed as that, but rather exist in several duplicates, sometimes created in good will and often by people not knowing of this profiles earlier existence here.

I myself try to be nice when creating living profiles, it's like a line where I either goes from the past to now, or vice versa, always giving others a point of entry at some spot, where in time theirs deceased grandfathers is, and I never reject request of mergings if they are in fact the same, but not as said, everyone has that goal, unfortunately, as they most likely just collects profiles for their own private sake, not at all interested in the common family world tree.

I fully agree with your analysis and sentiments, Private User, just as I feel at least some of the frustration of Private User. I am not trying to promote the philosophy behind the rules, I am merely telling another user that he is not alone in his frustrations. Personally, I think the whole idea of having a communally-administered tree which is partly hidden/locked rather defeats the prupose of a collective database, but then again I am in South Africa where most people are quite happy for the rest of the world to know that they actually exist. Privacy laws in other parts of the world are sometimes mystifying to me.Personally, I don't know how to approach the relatively-new issue of personal privacy which has been under attack from social media -- as far as I am concerned, I don't mind what people know about me, as long as it is the honest truth. On the other hand, I instantly deleted my FaceBook profile one day when FaceBook (unbenownst to me!) reported my exact location on a camping outing.

But I really don't understand how one's bloodline/in-law relations might be a problem for 99.99% of the Earth's population. Only a tiny minority of people need to hide their identities, but for those of us who aren't spies or in witness protection, what's the issue, after all?

I don't intend to debate this issue to death, as I believe that Mike Stangel and his team of administrators have the best advisors on the issue dealing with it. My point, in summary, is: I respect the rules of this site, but it doesn't mean I would have written them that way myself. As a compromise, I just live with it.

Roy, - why should you merge?
I recommend you to delete your own profiles if this family.

I prefer merges because it allows people who are connected to e able to SEE these connections. If people do not wish to merge, they should not have a "tree" on a public platform. My opinion but otherwise makes zero sense to me.

What happens?
Should we not allow other users in a family?
She is the grat aunt to the other manager.
As an active user it is up to her to allow getting merged into the other tre.

Her tree was marked for deletion but apparently the link I put here is the existing part of her tree so I deleted her profile link. I did see that the merge that is showing as a profile and branch marked for deletion is for a person who is historic so maybe that is it but I have seen several times where a curator suggests rather than merge, ask for one to be marked. I do not like that.

Maybe it is less messy overall.

Marie Thérèse Charlotte, Reine consort de France et de Navarre zombie

sure clone, to create a fake line to descend from the royals of France:
already cut 7 other royal nations connections to the Troll user.
(it will probably be to cut parents & husband, e report for vandalism.. again:)

Cynthia - I removed the isolated tree marked for deleting marker on her, - that was a misuse of this tool on an active user, - but if there are indications of being a fake account we have other tools for that. Anyhow, it is still up to this account to initiate a merge. The curators does not have this option anymore.

This is becoming surreal.

I deduce from what has been written, that two people do not have the power to merge duplicate Geni profiles of themselves, just in case they infringe the rights of an individual who is not them, who has created those duplicate profiles, for they may contain private information that they never knew about themselves. Who's rights are being protected here?.

Bjorn also suggests I should get out by deleting,
In order to do so, I would need to find some way of deleting an entry of mine which is already an integral part of an extensive tree which connects to trees manged by others. The only way I can see that a deletion of that nature could be achieved would be to get a curator to do a disconnection. That would split the tree so that I could do my deletion and I could then wash my hands of the entire matter. Common decency denies me that right. If I did so, I would be doing a disservice to my colleagues and leaving two non English speaking newbies to do their best to fend for themselves via Google Translate. Hardly a "Welcome to Geni" gesture.

Showing 9121-9150 of 9181 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion