Curators: My profile is good enough to be a Master Profile!

Started by Mike Stangel on Wednesday, February 6, 2019
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

This discussion has been closed by an administrator.
Showing 361-390 of 1703 posts

Private User Done.

<3
Thank you Erica Howton

Private User Done.

Isabel Carew Needs work - for example she has no overview

I have mp’d Titus Crawshaw but he has 200+ nearby possible tree matches

I can’t work on them right now as I am in the middle of fixing another issue,

Fortunately, the "Tree Matches" for Titus have dropped to zero, with only some 19 "SmartMatches".

Dan Cornett, key word in my sentence was “nearby” - still has 203 nearby tree matches

I try, for those that I MP, to clean up surrounding profiles as I find it causes less bad merges later.

Dan Cornett, I neatened her About and removed the gedcom mess that has uploaded in recent days.Yes, I would love to have some of her ancillaries (spouses, parents) mastered if possible. I am very thankful for this privilege.
I cut the gedcom stuff and do not know what to do with it as I do wish it would blow into the Sources rather than the About. Thank you again! ~Cynthia
=== GEDCOM Source ===

@R-2138833090@ 1850 United States Federal Census Ancestry.com Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2009. Images reproduced by FamilySearch.Original data - Seventh Census of the United States, 1850; (National Archives Microfilm Publication M432, 1009 rolls); Records of the Bureau of the 1,8054::0
=== GEDCOM Source ===
Year: 1850; Census Place: District 65, Oregon, Missouri; Roll: M432_408; Page: 410A; Image: . http://trees.ancestry.com/rd?f=sse&amp;db=1850usfedcenancestry&amp;... Birth date: abt 1813 Birth place: Kentucky Residence date: 1850 Residence place: District 65, Oregon, Missouri 1,8054::3950525
=== GEDCOM Source ===

@R-2138833090@ 1850 United States Federal Census Ancestry.com Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2009. Images reproduced by FamilySearch.Original data - Seventh Census of the United States, 1850; (National Archives Microfilm Publication M432, 1009 rolls); Records of the Bureau of the 1,8054::0
=== GEDCOM Source ===
Year: 1850; Census Place: District 65, Oregon, Missouri; Roll: M432_408; Page: 410A; Image: . http://trees.ancestry.com/rd?f=sse&amp;db=1850usfedcenancestry&amp;... Birth date: abt 1813 Birth place: Kentucky Residence date: 1850 Residence place: District 65, Oregon, Missouri 1,8054::3950525
=== GEDCOM Source ===

@R-2138833090@ 1860 United States Federal Census Ancestry.com Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2004.Original data - United States of America, Bureau of the Census. Eighth Census of the United States, 1860. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 1860. M653, 1,4 1,7667::0
=== GEDCOM Source ===
Year: 1860; Census Place: Moore, Oregon, Missouri; Roll: M653_637; Page: 0; Image: 205. http://trees.ancestry.com/rd?f=sse&amp;db=1860usfedcenancestry&amp;... Birth date: abt 1812 Birth place: Kentucky Residence date: 1860 Residence place: Moore, Oregon, Missouri 1,7667::40557507
=== GEDCOM Source ===

=== GEDCOM Source ===
=== GEDCOM Source ===

@R-2138833090@ 1860 United States Federal Census Ancestry.com Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2004.Original data - United States of America, Bureau of the Census. Eighth Census of the United States, 1860. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 1860. M653, 1,4 1,7667::0
=== GEDCOM Source ===
Year: 1860; Census Place: Moore, Oregon, Missouri; Roll: M653_637; Page: 0; Image: 205. http://trees.ancestry.com/rd?f=sse&amp;db=1860usfedcenancestry&amp;... Birth date: abt 1812 Birth place: Kentucky Residence date: 1860 Residence place: Moore, Oregon, Missouri 1,7667::40557507
=== GEDCOM Source ===

@R-2138833090@ 1840 United States Federal Census Ancestry.com Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2009. Images reproduced by FamilySearch.Original data - Sixth Census of the United States, 1840; (National Archives Microfilm Publication M704, 580 rolls); Records of the Bureau of the Censu 1,8057::0
=== GEDCOM Source ===
Year: 1840; Census Place: Ripley, Missouri; Roll: 229; Page: 336; Image: 680; Family History Library Film: 0014857 1,8057::3611517
=== GEDCOM Source ===

@R-2138833090@ Ancestry Family Trees Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com. Original data: Family Tree files submitted by Ancestry members. This information comes from 1 or more individual Ancestry Family Tree files. This source citation points you to a current version of those files. Note: The owners of these tree files may have removed or changed information since this source citation was created.
=== GEDCOM Source ===
Ancestry Family Trees http://trees.ancestry.com/pt/AMTCitationRedir.aspx?tid=13729509&amp...

Thank you so very much Private User
I will work on her today...several of the profiles associated with ehr are mastered and so it seemed only logical that she be mastered as well since I am very confident about her. Thank you----
~Cynthia

Cynthia Curtis, A183502, US7875087,

You could copy the GEDCOM messages to a document and add that document to the profile. When you have done that you can use that document as a source for the profile.

Job Waterreus I added some sourced copy to her "About"
and hope that I am ready to resubmit her--please check?
Isabel Carew

Oh--so sorry, yes, Job Waterreus, regarding the sources for the uploaded gedcom...see, I hate to leave them and yet I hate to remove them...such a conundrum.
unless I recreate them, of course...so much work when a cousin uploads a gedcom...am happy to see new sources and cousins but so much work for people like me who are desperate for the tree and DNA to match and for every representation of an ancestor to have a (correct) path lol

Job Waterreus I have not yet added a document....I have added a link as a source and I have added photos/jpegs but not yet documents...

What I mean is that you could copy the GEDCOM information from the about to a document (notepad should be good enough for that purpose) and add that document to the profile. When you do that you can use that document as a source for the profile. That would give you the possibility to remove the GEDCOM information from the About (because it is now in a source document). That makes the about easier to read.

Yes, Job Waterreus, that part I understand...I just do not know how/have not (yet) added or created a document to add....I am smart but a slow learner...tend to take an extra minute and then I am off and running. I apologize for taking up the space in this Discussion thread and I thank you sincerely for the pointers
I read and then re-read them..

Gonna try it---wish me luck?! lol

There is some information about adding documents here: https://www.geni.com/projects/User-Tutorial-Basic-Techniques-3-Prof...

I copy & paste “useful but ugly” Gedcom references to a text document you can create in Geni “on the fly.” It’s a terrific way to add little citations and saves the “about” for a real reference list, Biography, and family listing.

This is similar to what Job is saying but saves a step. Essentially notepad (a plain text, text editor) is built into Geni! Who knew? :)

From the profile:

- sources tab
- add source
- add a new document
- “Create a new document” (start a new text document)
- title (fill in the box) [example: Gedcom Notes 25 August 2019]
- upload documents
- [paste notes into the text box]
- save

It shows under “media” and then you can select to tick off cited facts - or not, if there are no actual profile facts in the text (often these are references to source data)

I just created one as I was describing so take a look here:

https://www.geni.com/documents/view?doc_id=6000000104528487834

(And of course you can then tag this doc to multiple profiles, again a useful way to use the Gedcom notes, and feel more comfortable deleting redundant data from from the “about.”)

This was an excellent question to ask, i’ve been intending to discuss this with more people. Lois & I had gone through a test run on various techniques to try ...

Just a few more comments.

- Cynthia’s example is definitely worth saving, there are date specific sources
- But as commented, to organize it into a readable overview is really tedious: I know, I’ve tried. Plus the “live links” are usually useless, they point to “dead Links” (trees which have moved URLs), so we end up confusing people reading, not to mention ourselves.
- if I was going to town on the MP, I would extract source notes for the “overview”

Example:

===References
* Year: 1840; Census Place: Ripley, Missouri; Roll: 229; Page: 336; Image: 680; Family History Library Film: 0014857 1,8057::3611517

It is possible to find that census report in FamilySearch, Ancestry and MyHeritage. So if I wanted to examine the image, I could “then” add that URL to the reference, and / or upload it as a document.

Erica, thanks.
I am about to go to bed and was thinking to write a little bit more of a how to do it tomorrow, but you bear me to it.

Does anyone feel that she is at a point where she is worthy of being a master profile?
Isabel Carew
Thank you in advance...

Cynthia Curtis, A183502, US7875087,
Isabel Carew done
Thanks for doing the overview

Private User
CHEESE!!!!!
Oh so beautiful <3 <3 <3
I am grinning from ear to ear...
proud 11th great granddaughter here:
Isabel Carew is your 11th great grandmother.
You
→ Viet Nam War Veteran, SFC Freddie Ralph Hicks, Sr
your father → Viola Isabel Hicks
his mother → John Thomas Edgar Webber
her father → John Richard Carter Webber
his father → Samuel Webber
his father → Seth Ward Webber, Sr.
his father → Tahphenes Webber
his mother → Frances Stanley Ward
her mother → Mary Worsham
her mother → Essex Beville
her father → John Beville
his father → Mary Saunders
his mother → Isabel Carew
her mother
My father would thank you himself were he here
<3

FYI another option for the gedcom information.

You can move the information from the profile overview into a discussion on the profile - which remains with the profile forever.

Showing 361-390 of 1703 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion