Keziah Bryant (Arroyah) - Bill Deyo, Patawomeck Tribal Historian states the following….

Started by Blaine Curtis on Saturday, January 26, 2019
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 37 posts
1/26/2019 at 6:44 PM

One of the most important Patawomeck ancestors was Chief Wahanganoche, alia Whipsewasson, King of the Patawomeck. He was the last known chief before the 1666 massacre of the tribe by the English. The survival of the tribe is due to his shrewd insight into the future and to his tactful allowance of the marriages of his daughters to influential Englishmen. The 1666 massacre left the tribe almost in a state of annihilation, in which the English attempted to kill all of the men and to place the women and children into servitude. Only a few escaped. The English did not bother to Patawomeck wives of English settlers and had no idea that the children and descendants of those wives would join together to save the tribe and preserve the Patawomeck heritage.

Wahanganoche was the son of I-Oppasus, commonly called Japasaw by the English, the lesser chief of Patawomeck. His mother was a daughter of Pamunkey Chief, Powhatan, Head of the Powhatan Ferderation of tribes, and was a full sister of the Indian Princess Pocahontas, Matoaka Rebecca Powhatan, 1595-1677. I was not through his father, but through his mother, that Wahanganoche inherited his title of King of Patawomeck, as she was of the direct line of the royal matrilineal succession. His aunt, Pocahontas, was first married to the Patawomeck warrior, Kocoum, the younger brother of his father, Japasaw. Pocahontas was married to Kocoum in 1610, per the Colonial Secretary of the Virginial Colony, William Strachey. She had at least one daughter, Jane Ka-Okee, before the English captured her at the Patawomeck village in 1613. Ka-Okee was left behind to be raised by Japasaw’s family. She married a Mr. Pettus, and Englishman, and raised a number of children on land adjoining her cousin, Wahanganoche. It is stongly believed that Wahanganoche married one of the daughters of Ka-Okee, as that would have been the only way for him to carry on the tradition of his ancestors in taking a wife of the royal matrilineal succession to ensure that his own children would have the chance to one day lead the tribe. Since the Great King of Patawomeck (whose name had not been preserved), the older brother of Japasaw, had severed relatlions with the Pamunkey tribe when he failed to support them in their massacre of the English, the only representatives of the matrilineal succession available to Wahanganoche were the daughters of his older cousin, Ka-Okee, who happened to live on the adjoining property in Passapatanzy.

Wahanganoche and his family were baptized into the Christian faith in 1642 by Father Andrew White. Twenty years later, Wahnaganoche was falsely charged with treason and murder by Col. Giles Brent and others and was tried before the Colonial Council. He was acquitted of all charges, and in compensation for his unjust imprisonment, injuries, and affronts, was paid handsomely, by the order of the court, by Col. Brent, Col. Fowke, Capt. George Mason, and Mr. John Lord. He was given his freedom to return home in 1662, but according to a 1664 letter written by Col. John Catlett, the Chief lost his life during his journey home. From the content of the letter, it appears obvious that Wahanganoche was murdered. Ironically, the Chief had been given a silver badge by King Charles II to grant him safe massage across the English lands. That badge was unearthed on the Catlett property 200 years later and is currently on exhibit at the Virginia Historical Society.

It is not known how many children Wahanganoche had, but some of the names are known and their spouses by tradition and some supporting evidence. He has at least two sons who escaped across the Potomac River to Maryland during the 1666 massacre. According to the Maryland Archives, they were both captured by the Susquehannock tribe in Maryland and were turned over to the colonial Maryland government. Their fate is unknown. It is possible that they survived, however, and were the Indians in Maryland of the Potomax Tribe that are referenced in the 1897 obituary of Matilda Delilah DeSheilds 9born 1784 and died in 1897 at the age of 113), daughter of Montgomery Delilah and Nancy Potomax, daughter of Chief Richard Henry Potomax, whose tribe had once occupied the territory across the river below Alexandria.

Chief Wahanganoche’s daughters were traditionally known as Keziah Arroyah (the wife of a Mr. Bryant), and a daughter whose Christian name appears to have been Mary (wife of Col. Henry Meese), a daughter called Grace by some (wife of Col. Peter Ashton), and a daughter, name unknown (wife of John Grisby). The descendants of these daughters intermarried with each other, and also intermarried with the descendants of orphans of the 1666 massacre, two of whom are said to have been Elizabeth Ontonah Curtis and William Redman. This continuous intermarriage among cousins of Indian blood helped to keep the Indian blood and Indian features strong to the present day.

The daughter called Keziah Arroyah appears to have been one of the older children. She married a Mr. Bryant, who is believed to have been the Richard Bryant who was transported to Virginia during the period of about 1644 to 1650 by Christopher Boore, who patented land next to that of Capt. Giles Brent in 1654 in what later became Stafford County. It is not known how many children Keziah had, but it seems clear from their associations that four of them were Dr. Richard Bryant, born 1651, who married his first cousin, Anne Meese; Silent Bryant, whose first wife is believed to have been Lucy Doniphan; Thomas Bryant, who appears to have married his Indian housekeeper, Eleanor; and Martha Bryant , who married Thomas Foley. Dr. Richard Bryant married Anne Meese Redman, daughter of Col. Henry Meese and his Patawomeck wife. Anne was traditionally the young widow of William Redman, an orphan of the 1666 massacre who was raised by the Redman family. They had children Nathaniel Bryant; Dr. Richard Bryant, who married Seth Anderson, an apparent descendant of Cockacoeske, Queen of Pamunkey; Elizabeth Bryant (second wife of Richard Elkins); Ann Bryant (wife of William Proctor); Silent Bryant (wife of Thomas Jeffries); and Susannah Bryant.

Dr. Richard Bryant II and Seth left a multitude of descendants in the Stafford/King George County area. Their daughter, Margaret Bryant, married her cousin, Samuel Owens, son of John Owens and Elinor Bryant (of the Wahanganoche bloodline). Leah Owens, a daughter of Samuel and Margaret, married her cousin, James Monteith, son of Thomas Monteith and Phyllis Gallop (the half-sister of Leah’s father, Samuel Owens).

Two of the daughters of James and Leah Monteith, Keziah and Leah, married sons of their maternal uncle, Reuben Owens, whose wife was also a daughter of a sister of Margaret Bryant! George Owens, another son of Reuben, married his cousin, Lucy Rogers, whose mother, Ascenith, was another one of the daughters of James and Leah Monteith. Arroyah, daughter of James and Leah, married her first cousin, John Finnall, son of Johnathan Finnall and Madalen Monteith.

Elizabeth Bryant, a daughter of Dr. Richard Bryant and Anne Meese, married Richard Elkins and left many descendants by him. Richard Elkins had first married Mary Williams, daughter of Evan Williams and Christian Martin, a granddaughter of Ka-Okee of the Pocahontas line.

Silent’s first wife, Lucy Doniphan, whose name has been carried on as a given name among some of her descendants, is only believed to have left one child, a daughter, Elinor, who remained in the area of her birth while her father moved away with his second wife. Elinor married first to Robert Gallop, who dies in 1720, leaving her to raise four young daughters . One of those daughters was Phyllis Gallop, the wife of Thomas Monteith and ancestor of all of the Monteith family. Phyllis married secondly to her cousin, Benjamin Elkins, and had another large family by him. Elinor married secondly to John Owens and had at least two sons, Samuel Owens and Nathaniel Owens.

--------Soooo…here is how our lineage lays out……

Murmuring Ripple Powhattan, born 1452 in Blue Ridge, Orapax, Virginia, Chief of Attanoughkomouch Tribe, and my 13th GGF married Murmuring Stream Powhattan and had

Morning Ripple Winiocock Mangopesamon born 1496 in Werowocomoco, Orapx, Virginia-died 1518, Chief of the Powhatan, and my 12th GGF married Ripple Powhatan born 1480, and had

I-Oppasus, my 11th GGF, called Japasaw, and his wife, my 11th GGM, PauPauwiske Scent Flower Mangopeesomon, of the Powhatan 1517-1627, daughter of the Pamunkey Chief, Powhatan, and full sister of Pocahontas had

Wahanganoche 1545 in Algonquin Empire, Virginia, my 10 GGF, married a daughter of Jane Ka-Okee, who was the daughter of Pocahontas, and had

Keziah Arroya, my 9th GGM and Richard Thomas Bryant, my 9th GGF, had

Silent, my 8th GGF and Lucy Doniphan, my 8th GGM, had daughter,

Elinor 1690-?, my 7th GGM, who married Robert Gallop, then married John Owens 1685-1754, my 7th GGF. John and Elinor had

Nathaniel 1730-1807, my 6th GGF, who married Elizabeth Ann Marder 1735-?, who had

Sarah Owens 1749-1831, my 5th GGM, who married Hugh James Gorden 1733-1834, my 5th GGF and had

Elijah Gorden 1788-1862, my 4th GGF, who married Statia Anna Gootee, my 4th GGM who had

Samuel Owens Gorden 1815-1899, my 3rd great grandfather, who married Elizabeth Askren 1817-1891, who had

John Henry Gorden 1837-1921, my 2nd GGF, who married Martha Ann Slaughter 1839-1890, and had

Elbert Arden Gorden 1866- 1960, my GGF, who married Mary Ann Davison and had

Daisy Fay Gorden who married George Wayne Polly and had

Margaret Anne Polly who married Jack L. Tatum and had

Kathleen Denise Tatum …me

1/27/2019 at 2:27 AM

Thank you. Very detailed.

Sincerely,
Kathleen Redman,
descendant of William Redman, who was lovingly adopted into the Redman family.

1/27/2019 at 5:11 AM

Unfortunately most of this is at best speculative, at worst complete fiction. There are no records that include the names of Wahaganoche’s children or even name himas the man baptized by Father White in 1642. Murmuring Ripple, Scent Flower and their ilk are part of a fraudulent tree which claims that many early Native American families were actually descended from Europeans, There is no contemporaneous document anywhere that mentions “Keziah” and her descendants. There are only a handful of Native American men and women from Jamestown days whose names are even known, let alone their families.

1/27/2019 at 7:04 AM

Father Andrew White, a Catholic priest who arrived with Calvert in 1634 on the Ark and the Dove, baptized Kittamaquund, chieftain of the local Piscataway Indians, and his wife and daughters. in 1640. One daughter, who took the name of Mary at her baptism, went to live with Margaret Brent and married Margaret’s brother, Giles Brent. Brent used the marriage to claim lands that had belonged to the Piscataway, including lands in Virginia on Aquia Creek. Father White spent several weeks with the Patawomeck Indians in the winter of 1641-2. In his annual letter to his superiors for 1642 he wrote: “During a detention of nine weeks at Potomac town, his spiritual gain in souls fully compensated for the delay. For, during that time, there was an accession to the church, of the chief of the town, with the principal inhabitants. Also a chief of another tribe, with many of his followers; a third, with his wife, son and one of his people, and a fourth chieftain, with a companion of high rank among his own people. “ Father White's letter is the only documentation for the events with the Patawomeck and you will note that there are no names given for any of these people.

Henry Meese had no wife and children in Virginia - they all lived in England. His daughter Anne never came to America. Many of the statements above are just completely muddled. There is a lot of good documentation for these families - marriage and baptisms as well as wills and extensive information in deeds.

There are only two people named Silent Bryan(t) during this time period. One was the daughter of Richard and Ann Bryant of Stafford County, born after 1687, the other a man who lived in Essex County, birth unknown, but who died about 1698. His wife Grace was named administratrix of his estate in July, 1698. There is no mention of children..

1/29/2019 at 10:58 PM

This is an article By Bill Deyo, The Patawomeck Tribal Historian NOT mine Somehow the header is separate from the post, I didn't realize it would do that. I do understand his points are based on the tribal culture and dates and facts as can be obtained tribally from stories handed down. So by anglo standards theoretical. No there is no Anglo style records Yet the theory fits and is sound but I do not know if it is even verifiable by DNA matching this far down the lineage. I am just not up on what is possible. Hugh Gordon and Sarah Owens Gordon are my GGP's too however. Dr.Bill Deyo has done a lot of Research which does give his account weight. I will be attempting to contact Dr Bill Deyo to ascertain his sources. I posted this as there seems to be a lot of confusion as to the birth dates and order of lineage his makes sense. Discussion is where this belongs. Thank you for your input it is appreciated. I have seen very old pictures of several of Nathan Owens descendants clearly of Indian Descent Leaving us to ascertain how the Indian Heritage comes in which is where a lifetime of research by Dr Bill Deyo fits in. Personally our Family has a history of declared Indian heritage also and I personally have the traits of skin tone and very little facial hair being mostly smooth skinned. His family stories and mine follow one another which in itself is very interesting being that the familys did not know of the other. Love a mystery.

1/29/2019 at 11:44 PM

Mary Brent

This is the documented line.

1/30/2019 at 12:24 AM

This article may be of interest.

https://dna-explained.com/2014/03/04/daughters-of-princess-mary-kit...

Looks like Lucy Doniphan married James Bryant, although I see a Silas Bryant possible

Proposed 1st wife of Silent Bryant

Proposed 1st wife of Silent Bryant

Richard Elkins & his wives Mary Elkins & Elizabeth Elkins

“Keziah Arroya, my 9th GGM and Richard Thomas Bryant, my 9th GGF, had” (and up) is into fantasy land, I’m afraid.

1/30/2019 at 12:42 AM

Hatte Blejer (absent until Nov 1)

Who are the parents of

Robert Gallop, of Hanover Parish

Surely this Virginia man has nothing to do with the Massachusetts Gallup’s ???

1/30/2019 at 2:28 AM

I’m sorry, but this tree is looking Fictional.

Keziah Arroyah, {person of legend} & Dr. Richard Bryant, of Stafford County

- Daughter Elinor Owens is parents unknown according to https://www.colonial-settlers-md-va.us/getperson.php?personID=I0415...

- Silent Bryant, Wolf Skin Supplier is parents unknown and no known children; and he was not married to Proposed 1st wife of Silent Bryant who is not known to the Doniphan family, which was well documented, as Harry Truman descends

Wahanganoche was Patawomeck and Pamunkey of the Powhatan Federation.

A wise man once said Cherokee Historians should speak of Cherokee History and leave the Patawomeck and Pamunkey History to the Patawomeck and Pamunkey Tribal Historians.

Kinda like you wouldn't go to a Podiatrist for Heart Surgery you shouldn't go to the Cherokee for Patawomeck & Pamunkey History.

Just sayin............................

1/30/2019 at 1:40 PM

What is the evidence supporting Elinor Owens as a Bryant?

There’s been a mixup of Gallops of Boston with Gallops of Virginia, both with wives seen as Eleanor Bryant.

Eleanor Gallup

Robert Gallup, of Boston

1/30/2019 at 3:15 PM

What is the evidence supporting Dr. Richard Bryant, of Stafford County as child of Keziah Arroyah, {person of legend} & Dr. Richard Bryant, of Stafford County ?

https://www.colonial-settlers-md-va.us/getperson.php?personID=I0393... Has him as an emigrant from England.

I do not see him listed in Y DNA studies on https://www.familytreedna.com/public/Bryan?iframe=yresults

Disconnected until Supporting evidence for parents presented and agreed.

The Patawomeck Family Of Monteith

Thomas Monteith was the 5th great grandfather of James William Moore.

Thomas Monteith was born in 1694 in Linlithgow, Scotland, to James Monteith and Magdalen Dalyell, Laird and Lady of “Binns”. His father was from an ancient Scottish family of titled nobility, descended from a multitude of kings. His mother was the heiress of the Baronetcy of “Binns”, being the only surviving child of Sir Thomas Dalyell, Baronet of “Binns”, son of the famous General Thomas Dalyell of Scottish military fame. Dame Magdalen Dalyell was descended from King James IV of Scotland and King Edward III of England. “The Binns” was the name of the Dalyell family’s home, a small, but magnificent, castle in Linlithgow. Thomas Monteith was the second son and next in the line of succession to his brother, Sir James Monteith-Dalyell, to the Baronetcy of Binns, if his line should fail for lack of descendants.

At the age of 21 Thomas Monteith was already calling himself a “merchant of Glasgow”. He sailed to Virginia but only had a brief stay before returning to Scotland to aid his country in the Jacobite Rebellion. His family were staunch supporters of the Scottish royalty, as they were closely related. After the rebellion, he returned to Virginia and made his home in what is now Stafford County. According to the present Lady Dalyell of “The Binns”, whose husband is a direct descendant of Thomas Monteith’s older brother, James, Dame Magdalen Dalyell, Thomas’ mother, made the dangerous voyage, along with two of her daughters, to Virginia to visit her son in 1732. Magdalen and her daughters became ill with a virus while in Virginia and died. Shortly thereafter, Thomas Monteith married a local girl of Indian blood, Miss Phyllis Gallop, whose mother, Elinor, was a granddaughter of the last King of Patawomeck, Wahanganoche. During his lifetime, Thomas purchased thousands of acres of land in Virginia which eventually was inherited by his son, James. Thomas and Phyllis had four children: Magdalen, Elizabeth, John, and James. Magdalen Monteith, daughter of Thomas and Phyllis, married first to Anderson Doniphan and had a number of children, one of whom, Elizabeth, was the great grandmother of President Harry S. Truman. Magdalen married secondly to Jonathan Finnall and had yet another family of children. Elizabeth Monteith, daughter of Thomas and Phyllis, married first to Capt. Gerard Robinson, by whom she had two children, John Monteith Robinson, husband of Susan McClanahan, and Frances Wilton Robinson, wife of Elias Earle. Elizabeth (Monteith) Robinson married secondly to John Bithiway Lampton Grigsby, said to have been her cousin, but had no children by him. The compiler has often contemplated how the Grigsby family would have been related to the Monteiths. The only solution seems to be that it was through the Patawomeck Indian blood, as there is a tradition among some of the Grigsbys that they descend from a daughter of Chief Wahanganoche, King of Patawomeck, who married their immigrant ancestor, John Grigsby. This is a most logical deduction and solution to the question of the relationship between the Monteiths and the Grigsbys, as Immigrant John Grigsby, lived on land adjacent to that of Chief Wahanganoche and was even brought to Virginia by Col. Peter Ashton, who had also married a daughter of the Chief. If this was the case, John Grigsby’s daughter, Mary, was married, as her second husband, to her first cousin, John Meese, son of Col. Henry Meese by another daughter of Chief Wahanganoche, whose Christian name may have been Mary. Two of Immigrant John Grigsby’s sons were said to have married daughters of William Redman, the son of Col. Henry Meese’s daughter, Anne, by her first husband, traditionally a full-blooded Patawomeck Indian who was orphaned after the massacre of the Patawomecks by the English in 1666 and was raised by the Redman family, whose name he adopted. After her first marriage, Anne, married secondly to Dr. Richard Bryant, her first cousin, whose mother, Keziah Arroyah, was another daughter of Chief Wahanganoche. John Monteith, son of Thomas and Phyllis, traditionally moved to North Carolina. The Mantooth family claims that he had a Cherokee wife and a son, Thomas, who left numerous descendants, using the name of “Mantooth”.

James Monteith, son of Thomas and Phyllis, married his multiple cousin, Leah Owens, in 1763. Their marriage is recorded in the St. Paul’s Parish register. James’ mother, Phyllis, and Leah’s father, Samuel Owens, were half siblings, having the same mother, Elinor. After the death of her first husband, Robert Gallop, Elinor had married John Owens. Her son, Samuel Owens, married his cousin, Margaret Bryant, granddaughter of Dr. Richard Bryant and Anne Meese, by whom he had a large family. Margaret Bryant’s mother, Seth Anderson, was a legatee of the will of Maj. John West who died in Stafford County in 1717 and is believed to have been a direct descendant of Cockacoeske, Queen of the Pamunkey Indians, who was a close relative of Chief Wahanganoche. Cockacoeske had a son, John West, from an affair in 1656 or 1657 with Col. John West, son of Governor John West. Maj. John West of Stafford appeared in the area right after he was last recorded in the Pamunkey area and married Sarah Harrison, sister of Burr

Harrison, the Indian interpreter. Due to his close association with the area Indians and the fact that he left 500 acres “at Pamunkey” in his will to one of his sons, he is considered to have been identical to

Queen Cockacoeske’s son. Seth Anderson was one of several women named “Seth” who were legatees of John West and are all believed to have been descendants of his sister, likely twin sister, who certainly married one of the brothers of Burr Harrison, from which family the female name of “Seth” (often written “Scythe or Sith”) was brought over from England. Seth Anderson’s own father was a son of David Anderson, who, by the right of his wife, Elizabeth, from her previous marriage to John Hallows, had held the indenture of Burr Harrison.

James and Leah Monteith had sons, Enos Monteith, Samuel Owens Monteith, and one who is believed to have died young, Bartholomew Gallop Monteith, likely a twin to their daughter, Keziah Gallop Monteith. The daughters of James and Leah who reached maturity were Ascenith Monteith, Aroye Monteith, Keziah Gallop Monteith, Fenton Monteith, Leah Owens Monteith, and a daughter whose given name is unknown who married Fielding Batteley.

Enos Monteith (born 1776), son of James and Leah, married Eleanor Warrick/Redman, daughter of John Redman and Catherine “Cassie” Warrick. She was likely a multiple cousin of Enos, if her grandfather, Andrew Redman, was a son of William Redman, above, and his traditional first wife, Catherine Elkins, as is suspected. Andrew Redman named his first son “William” and lived in the area of Loudoun County, Virginia, where several Grigsby grandchildren of William Redman, son of Anne Meese, settled. Enos and Eleanor had at least two sons and several daughters. One son of Enos, James Monteith, married Elizabeth ______ and left a number of children, including Richard E. Monteith, who married Georgiana Rowe, Susan B. Monteith, who married George W. Newton, and Ascenith Monteith, who married Dawson Richardson Sullivan. The other son of Enos and Eleanor has not been identified. He was in Enos’ household on the Stafford census and either died young or moved away. All of the daughters of Enos and Eleanor have also not been identified. They are known to have had Eleanor Monteith, wife of Gustavus B. Newton, Parthenia Monteith, wife of Fielding Hudson, Mischael Monteith, wife of William Alexander Otto Bowie, Catherine Monteith, wife of William Gaskins and of William Bradshaw (ancestor of many of the Stafford Bradshaws), and Lucy Montieth, wife of Piercy P. Bowie.

Samuel Owens Monteith (1785-1862), son of James and Leah, married Mildred Fines, daughter of James Fines and Rachel Curtis. Mildred Fines’ mother, Rachel, was a descendant of the Patawomeck Indian girl, Ontonah, who was orphaned by the massacre of the Patawomecks by the English in 1666 and was raised by the Curtis family. Samuel and Mildred had children: Thomas Monteith, husband of Ann “Nancy” Limerick/Limbrick, James Monteith, husband of Frances Cox, Lucinda Monteith (died young), Leah Monteith (unmarried), Mary Ann Monteith (unmarried), Wiliam Isaac Monteith, who married his cousin, Elizabeth Fines, Elizabeth Jane Monteith, wife of William Dobson, John Samuel Monteith, husband of Jane M. Rowe, and Nathaniel Owens Monteith, who was killed in the Civil War.

Ascenith Monteith, daughter of James and Leah, married James Rogers. The names of all of her children are not known. She is known to have been the mother of Ascenith Monteith Rogers, who married John Curtis, Lucy Ann Rogers, who married her cousin, George Owens, son of Reuben Owens, and possibly Mary, wife of James Roberson.

Aroye Monteith, daughter of James and Leah, was named after her Patawomeck ancestor. Her name was pronounced “Arroyah”, and she was known by her close family as “Rowie”. She married her cousin, John Finnall, son of Jonathan Finnall and Magdalen Monteith.

Keziah Gallop Monteith, daughter of James and Leah, was named after the Christian name of her Patawomeck Indian ancestor. She married her first cousin, James Owens, son of Reuben Owens and Sarah Kinney. It should be noted that Reuben Owens and his wife, Sarah Kinney, were also first cousins. Sarah’s mother, Anne Bryant, was a full sister of Margaret Bryant, who married Samuel Owens, the parents of Reuben Owens and Leah Owens, who married James Monteith. The intermarriage of close cousins kept the Patawomeck blood strong.

Fenton Monteith, daughter of James and Leah, married a Mr. Barbee, whose given name has not been determined. He was most likely her cousin, a son or other relative of Capt. John Barbee and Eleanor Duncan. Eleanor Duncan was a granddaughter of Elinor, wife of Robert Gallop. Since Fenton Monteith was a double descendant of Eleanor Duncan’s grandmother, Elinor, she and her husband, Mr. Barbee, could have been related in several ways.

Leah Owens Monteith, daughter of James and Leah, married twice. Her first husband was her first cousin, Thomas Owens, son of Reuben Owens and Sarah Kinney. Her second husband was Charnock Cox, Jr., of Charnock Cox, Sr., and his first wife, who was likely a sister of Reuben and Leah Owens and was, therefore, another cousin. The given names of two of the brothers of Charnock Cox, Jr., namely Samuel and Enoch Cox, indicate a marriage of their father into the Owens family, as those were important names in the Owens family and were not previously known in the Cox family. The name of the daughter of James and Leah who married Fielding Battaley has not been identified. It is also not known if she left any children. The Battaley family was closely associated and intermarried with the Bryant family, who were closely related to the Monteiths.

The immigrant ancestor of the Monteith family, Thomas Monteith, died in 1747. It was said that he asked his slaves to carry him out to his garden when he was too ill to walk, and he pointed out the spot where he wanted to be buried. The old Monteith Cemetery started by Thomas Monteith is now overgrown in the woods near the White Oak Landfill. An old red sandstone foot stone may be all that is left to mark the grave of Thomas Monteith. His widow, Phyllis, remarried to her cousin of Patawomeck blood, Benjamin Elkins, and had another large family by him.

Through Arroyah, the daughter of Chief Wahanganoche, the Patawomeck blood was well established in Stafford County.

William L. “Bill” Deyo - Patawomeck Tribal Historian

Richard Bryant, her first cousin, son of Keziah Arroyah, another daughter of Wahanganoche.

https://archive.org/stream/PatawomeckTides2015/newsletter2015_djvu.txt

Dr. Richard Bryant, whose mother, Keziah Arroyah

http://www.afrigeneas.com/forum-fpoc/index.cgi/md/read/id/4597/sbj/...

Good evidence has come to light in the past few years that immigrant ancestor, Thomas Pettus, married Ka-Okee, daughter of Pocahontas by her first husband, Kocoum, an Indian brave who died in a battle with the Susquehanna tribe.

Although Thomas remarried after Ka-Okee died c1637, the line of descent from his second wife, Elizabeth (Freeman) Duirrent, apparently ended before 1700, when his only known granddaughter, Elizabeth Pettus, died underage and unmarried.

According to this source, living Pettuses who descend from the immigrant Thomas also descend from Pocahontas's daughter, Ka-Okee! He expresses surprise that this connection, which is "sacred tradition" for three distinct native American tribes in Virginia, is also known by certain members of the Pettus family who had heard it from their grandparents!

There is a question over which Pettus married Ka-Okee, but circumstantial evidence makes Thomas the most likely of the Pettus immigrants to have married her.

For example, Thomas held a large tract of land in what is now Stafford County, Virginia. According to tribal historians, his land adjoined a tract held by Chief Wahaganoche and another by his daughter Christian Pettus who married John Martin. Christian was the name of Thomas's sister and grandmother (Norwich records).

Thomas sold his land to Mr. Henry Meese, who was married to another native American woman related to Ka-Okee. More extensive DNA tests would be helpful.

The key question is whether Stephen Pettus who was a landholder in New Kent County, Virginia, in 1662, was Thomas's son by Ka-Okee.

The line through Thomas Pettus, Virginia immigrant, probably goes as follows:

Thomas Petyous and (?)

John Pethous and Jone (?)

Thomas Pettus and Christian DeThick

Thomas and Cecily King

Thomas Pettus (immigrant) and Ka Okee (daughter of Pocahontas)

Stephen Pettus (landowner in New Kent Co. in 1662) and (?)

Stephen Pettus II (grantor in the sale of the Pettus estates in 1700) and Mary Dabney

Mary Pettus and Chillian Palmer

The fact that Stephen II was a grantor in 1700 and the fact that his known male descendants have DNA matching that of a native American tribesman who has traced his ancestry to Ka-Okee gives me confidence that this lineage is right.

1. Thomas Pettus II, who had been married to Mourning Burgh, died in 1687.

2. An inventory of Thomas's estate shows that it belonged to his "Orphand." Unfortunately the orphan was not named in the inventory.

3. A York County record shows that Maj. Lewis Burwell was the executor of Thomas's will (now lost).

4. According to Burwell's attorney, some tobacco claimed by Mourning Pettus, widow of Thomas Pettus II, was the "proper estate" of Stephen Pettus. This led me to the conclusion that Thomas had left the tobacco to Stephen and that Stephen--not Elizabeth--was the orphan heir. Apparently, Burwell was holding the tobacco until Stephen came of age.

4. Stephen was a grantor in the sale of the Pettus estates in 1700 (see his signature on the deed) to James Bray, Jr. I concluded that the sale took place after Stephen came of age. BTW Elizabeth had already died.

The most logical explanation of the above evidence is that Thomas II was Stephen's father. Since there was no other evidence to the contrary, the available evidence met the so-called Genealogical Proof Standard adopted some years ago by professional genealogists.
An online query by a tribal historian regarding the identity of Christian Pettus's father led this source to do some last-minute research. That research led to the discovery of new evidence that Christian was the daughter of the immigrant Thomas and Ka-Okee, daughter of Pocahontas.

Because the above-mentioned Stephen's male line of descent carries the same Y-DNA as that of Thomas's other known male descendants from Ka-Okee, that means that Stephen was descended from Ka-Okee and not from Mourning. Most likely, Stephen II was the son of Stephen I and Stephen I was the son of Thomas I and Ka-Okee. This explains why Stephen II got that name.

Thomas Pettus, immigrant, did marry Elizabeth Durrent, widow of Richard Durrent sometime before 1643. They had a son Thomas Pettus II who was a minor when his father died c1661. Thomas II was the father of Elizabeth Pettus , who was also left an orphan when Thomas died abroad in 1687. Elizabeth died unmarried and still a minor sometime before 1700.

The preceding statements are confirmed by extant records.

The new theory, which is based upon good evidence, both oral and written, has Thomas Pettus, immigrant, marrying Ka-Okee, daughter of Pocahontas and Kocoum, as his first wife about 1631. Thus, Elizabeth Durrent was Thomas's second wife. Also, Thomas and Ka-Okee were the parents of Christian Pettus of Stafford County, Virginia. Thomas and Ka-Okee also had other children, including Stephen Pettus I, who settled in New Kent County, Virginia. I now believe that he was the father of Stephen Pettus II, who was a grantor in the sale of the Pettus estates in 1700.

If this theory is correct, then Thomas Pettus II of Littletown plantation was the half-brother of Christian Pettus and Stephen Pettus I.

The researcher reports that my line descends from Stephen Pettus II. The lineage discussed connects Mary (Pettus) Palmer to Stephen Pettus and Mary Dabney and is a matter of record.

Bill Deyo is the tribal historian of the Patawomeck tribe. The researcher first learned of the Pocahontas connection from the historian of another tribe a few weeks before coming upon Deyo's posting. That historian thought that Ka-Okee had married Theodore Pettus of Norwich and Jamestown. Theodore was Thomas Pettus's younger brother.

Exchanges with Deyo led the anonymous source to the conclusion that Thomas--not Theodore--married Ka-Okee. His DNA matches that of your Stephen's male descendants.

One of the key pieces of evidence mentioned in the transcript is the fact that William Strachey, historian at Jamestown, mentioned the marriage of Pocahontas and Kocoum.

The SP who married Mary Dabney was Stephen II. Research in 2012 led him to conclude that the line of descent from Thomas Pettus, immigrant, and his second wife Elizabeth Durrent, ended with the death of his only known grandchild, Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Pettus II and (?). He suspects that TP II was married twice and that his second wife, Mourning Burgh, was not Elizabeth's mother. In any case, nothing on record indicates that the possible first wife was Elizabeth Dabney, as has often been claimed by early family historians.

The name of the first Stephen's wife is not mentioned in any record of him thus far discovered.

Most of the early Virginia court and church records were destroyed at one time or another. We are fortunate to have the few that have survived, so we are forced to piece together family lineages based upon fragmentary evidence. That is one reason that the genealogy of early generations in colonial Virginia is so difficult.

The anonymous source found key records in Maryland, England, and even Holland. The tribal traditions also helped solve some riddles.

Mary Pettus who married Chillian Palmer was the daughter of John Pettus and his wife Sarah Lipscomb. John was the son of Stephen Pettus and his wife Mary Dabney. John and Sarah settled on Twitty's Creek in what is now Charlotte County, where he died in 1781. He sold his property to John Pettus who married Susannah Winston (?). John died in 1799. His home, Avondale, which was built before the Revolution, is probably the oldest standing Pettus home in Virginia, but Willie C. Pettus, who was born at Avondale, remembers seeing the ruins of your John's home and still has the loft ladder from it. The original house probably burned.

When another John Pettus, who was sheriff of Louisa County, Virginia, died in 1770, your John Pettus traveled from Charlotte County to Louisa County Court where he was made guardian of Barbara Overton Pettus and William Overton Pettus, who were orphans. Your John took the two children back to Charlotte County. Later, after Barbara came of age, the source John's son, Thomas, paid her bond and married her. Thomas and Barbara lived at Waverly plantation near Avondale.

Everything is fully documented by court and church records mentioned. The genealogical issue for you is the identity of Stephen's father. Originally the source was convinced by the evidence at hand that Stephen was the son of Thomas Pettus II of Littletown plantation. He now believes that he was the son of Stephen Pettus I. SP I apparently was the son of Thomas Pettus, immigrant, and Ka-Okee.

The primary basis for that conclusion is that male descendants of your SP have the DNA that matches that of the tribal historian who claims descent from Thomas and Ka-Okee. Of course, the DNA evidence does not distinguish between Thomas and one of his brothers, Theodore, who arrived in Virginia in 1623, but Theodore disappeared from the Virginia records after 1626. My guess is that he was one of the settlers who died in Virginia or, more likely, at sea, since his last appearance in court concerned a dispute over cargo brought into the colony by ship.

Descendants of Thomas Pettus

Generation No. 1

1. THOMAS1 PETTUS was born Abt. 1470 in tailor in Norwich England, 1492 London1, and died Abt. 1520 in London, St. Edmonds Church, Lombard St.2. He married

Notes for THOMAS PETTUS:

The Pettus Family in England:

What follows is from Burke's "Extinct Baronage"; Walter Rye's "Norfolk Families" ii 656; Edmund Farrer's "Church Heraldry of Norfolk" 116;Norris's "Pedigrees" 917: "Alumni Cantabrigienes " iii 353, published,1924, at Cambridge and edited by John Venn; Percy Milligan's "Freeman of Norfolk 1548-1713", published in 1934; and Talloch's "Sketch of the Pettus Family".

Prior to the 15th century the name was Pethawe, Pettowe, Pettowes,Pethous, and Petyous. Talloch says the family was not in Norfolk before the 15th Century. Norwich is famous for its old churches. Saints Simon and Jude's is very old and was mentioned in Doomsday Book. There are e Doomsday books, dated 1088 and 1522. I do not know to which reference is made. It stands at the foot of Elm Hill.

In 1491, Thomas Petyous was "admitted to the freedom of the city" in Norwich. He may have live d in the house described on page 1, but he was buried in St. Edmund's churchyard in Lombard Street, London, S.E.

Child of THOMAS PETTUS is:

2. i. JOHN2 PETTUS, b. Abt. 1495, Norwich, England; d. August 28, 1558, NORWICH, NORFOLK CO ENGLAND St. Simon and Jude.

Child of THOMAS PETTUS and &ltLIVING&gt is:

3. ii. JOHN2 PETTUS, b. Abt. 1495, Norwich, England; d. August 28, 1558, Norwich, Norfolk County, England, St. Simon and Jude Church.

Generation No. 2

2. JOHN2 PETTUS (THOMAS1) was born Abt. 1495 in Norwich, England4, and died August 28, 1558 in NORWICH, NORFOLK CO ENGLAND St. Simon and Jude5. He married (1) CICELYN CAPON. He married (2) JONE (MRS. SIMON) DETHICK WFT Est. 1509-15396. He married (3) ROSE BEATRICE 1545.

Children of JOHN PETTUS and JONE DETHICK are:

4. i. THOMAS3 PETTUS , ESQ, b. 1519, bought RACKHEATH MANOR NORWICH ENGLAND; d. 1597, Norwich England.

ii. JONE PETTUS.

iii. ANNE PETTUS.

3. JOHN2 PETTUS (THOMAS1) was born Abt. 1495 in Norwich, England7, and died August 28, 1558 in Norwich, Norfolk County, England, St. Simon and Jude Church8. He married (1) JONE (MRS. SIMON) DETHICK Abt. 15159. He married (2) CICELYNE CAPON WFT Est. 1528-153910. He married (3) BEATRICE DUCKETT February 01, 1542/4311.

Notes for JOHN PETTUS:

THE PETTUS FAMILY IN ENGLAND

John Pethous, Gent, will dated 1558, was in a disturbance at an inn ands aid he was son of th e tailor Thomas Petyous. John Pettus is on record as buying in St. Simon's parish in 1536. W as a tailor in Norwich in1550. He and three wives and three children were buried in what i s now Saints Simon and Jude's churchyard. The wives were 1) Jone, mother of his children 2) Cecily Capon, d. 1542, no children, widow of Richard Corpestry (Cecily left legacies to her husband's children by his first wife); 3) married about 1545 Rose Beatrice, widow of Simon De Thick, Esq.of Wormegay, Suffolk. Talloch says Jone was widow of Simon Dethick. Ch: Thomas; Jon e and Anne did not marry.

Child of JOHN PETTUS and JONE DETHICK is:

5. i. THOMAS3 PETTUS , ESQ., b. Abt. 1519, Norwich, England; d. January 12, 1596/97, Norwich, St. Simon and Jude Church.

Generation No. 3

4. THOMAS3 PETTUS , ESQ (JOHN2, THOMAS1) was born 1519 in bought RACKHEATH MANOR NORWICH ENGLAND12, and died 1597 in Norwich England13. He married CHRISTIAN DETHICK October 29, 154814, daughter of SIMON DETHICK.

Notes for THOMAS PETTUS , ESQ:

1 AUTH Mayor 1591

The Pettus Family in England

Thomas Pettus, Gent., 1519-97, was sheriff of Norwich in 1566 and mayor in 1590, and alderman in 1591 and 1592. In 1591 he bought "Rackheath Hall", about 8 miles from Norwich. He married in S.S. Simon and Jude'sOct. 29, 1548 Christian, daughter of Simon Dethick, Esq. of Wormegay, Suffolk. Marriage in Norwich shows she was Thomas's stepmother's daughter. Otherwise the marriage would have been in Suffolk. Christian died in 1578. She and husband buried in S.S . Siman and Jude's churchyard. Ch. John, Thomas, William, Alexander, Elizabeth, Cecily, Anne , Isabel, d.y. Taking them in reverse order, since the line of the oldest will be carried on and the others dropped, after two or three generations.

Children of THOMAS PETTUS and CHRISTIAN DETHICK are:

6. i. THOMAS4 PETTUS , SIR, b. September 17, 1552, NORFOLK CO ENGLAND, Mayor; d. June 06, 1620, buried S.S. and Jude.

ii. JOHN PETTUS , SIR, d. Knighted by Elizabeth, MP 1601, Mayor 1608.

7. iii. WILLIAM PETTUS, d. 1608.

iv. ALEXANDER PETTUS.

v. ISABEL PETTUS.

8. vi. ELIZABETH PETTUS, b. June 28, 1554, Norwich, England.

9. vii. ANNE PETTUS, b. April 1564, Norwich, England; d. Bef. 1594, Norwich, England.

viii. CECILY PETTUS, b. September 13, 1581, Norwich, England; m. HUMPHREY CAMDEN.

5. THOMAS3 PETTUS , ESQ. (JOHN2, THOMAS1) was born Abt. 1519 in Norwich, England15, and died January 12, 1596/97 in Norwich, St. Simon and Jude Church16. He married CHRISTIAN DETHICK October 29, 1548 in Norwich17, daughter of SIMON DETHICK.

Child of THOMAS PETTUS and CHRISTIAN DETHICK is:

i. JOHN4 PETTUS , SIR, b. Abt. 155018; d. WFT Est. 1551-164019.

Generation No. 4

6. THOMAS4 PETTUS , SIR (THOMAS3, JOHN2, THOMAS1) was born September 17, 1552 in NORFOLK CO ENGLAND, Mayor20, and died June 06, 1620 in buried S.S. and Jude21. He married CECILY KING WFT Est. 1583-161122, daughter of WILLIAM KING ESQ..

Notes for THOMAS PETTUS , SIR:

THE PETTUS FAMILY IN ENGLAND

Thomas Pettus, Esq. b. 9-17-1552, d. 1620, m. Cecily, d. 1641, daughter of William King, Esq . of Hempstead, Norfolk. He was mayor of Norwich in1614. Both buried in S.S. Simon and Jude 's. Ch: (all baptized in S.S.Simon and Jude's)

Children of THOMAS PETTUS and CECILY KING are:

10. i. WILLIAM5 PETTUS, b. 1583; d. December 18, 1648.

ii. ANNE PETTUS, b. 1582; m. ALDRICH.

11. iii. JOHN PETTUS , SIR, b. 1584, Norwich, England; d. April 09, 1613.

iv. EDWARD PETTUS, b. 1585.

12. v. HENRY PETTUS, b. 1586; d. Rappahannock Co. Virginia.

vi. SUSAN PETTUS, b. 1588; m. GEOFFREY MIGHT.

vii. ELIZABETH PETTUS, b. 1590; m. NICHOLAS SADLER.

viii. GEORGE PETTUS, b. 1591.

ix. FRANCES PETTUS, b. 1592.

x. MARY PETTUS, b. 1594.

xi. THEODORE PETTUS, b. 1600.

xii. CHRISTIAN PETTUS, b. 1601.

xiii. ROBERT PETTUS, b. 1602.

xiv. ANNE PETTUS, b. 1604.

xv. HENRY PETTUS, b. 1606.

7. WILLIAM4 PETTUS (THOMAS3, JOHN2, THOMAS1) died 1608. He married ELIZABETH ROLFE.

Children of WILLIAM PETTUS and ELIZABETH ROLFE are:

i. WILLIAM5 PETTUS.

ii. ROLFE PETTUS.

iii. JOHN PETTUS.

iv. ELIZABETH PETTUS.

v. SUSAN PETTUS.

8. ELIZABETH4 PETTUS (THOMAS3, JOHN2, THOMAS1) was born June 28, 1554 in Norwich, England. She married AUGUSTINE (W)HALL August 29, 1573.

Children of ELIZABETH PETTUS and AUGUSTINE (W)HALL are:

i. THOMAS5 (W)HALL.

ii. AUGUSTINE (W)HALL.

9. ANNE4 PETTUS (THOMAS3, JOHN2, THOMAS1) was born April 1564 in Norwich, England, and died Bef. 1594 in Norwich, England. She married ROBERT DABNEY , ALDERMAN OF NORWICH, son of JOHN DABNEY and CECILY.

Children of ANNE PETTUS and ROBERT DABNEY are:

i. CECILY5 DABNEY.

ii. ANNE DABNEY.

13. iii. JOHN DABNEY, b. 1598.

Generation No. 5

10. WILLIAM5 PETTUS (THOMAS4, THOMAS3, JOHN2, THOMAS1) was born 1583, and died December 18, 1648. He married MARY GLEANE 1607 in St. Peters, Mancroft Norfolk, daughter of PETER GLEAME , SIR.

Children of WILLIAM PETTUS and MARY GLEANE are:

14. i. THOMAS6 PETTUS , COL, b. 1610, Norwich, England; d. Aft. 1662, New Kent County, Virginia; Stepchild.

ii. JOHN PETTUS.

iii. EDWARD PETTUS.

iv. WILLIAM PETTUS.

v. ANNE PETTUS.

vi. MARTHA PETTUS.

vii. ELIZABETH PETTUS.

11. JOHN5 PETTUS , SIR (THOMAS4, THOMAS3, JOHN2, THOMAS1) was born 1584 in Norwich, England, and died April 09, 1613. He married BRIDGET CURTIS, daughter of AUGUSTINE CURTIS.

Notes for JOHN PETTUS , SIR:

The name of SIR JOHN PETTUS, KNIGHT, appears in "Brown's Genesis of the United States:. The third charter, period III. Nov. 1609 to July 1614,p. 966.

"This document was drawn, I suppose by Sir Edwin Sandys, it was published by Rev. William Stith, 1747."

p. 966--SIR JOHN PETTUS, 3 Sub---pd 25 pounds, Of Norwich. M.P. for Norwich, 1601 and 1604.11 .

died; April 9th 1613.

WILL OF SIR JOHN PETTUS, OF NORWICH, KNIGHT.

SIR JOHN PETTUS, of Norwich, knight, 10 January 1613, proved 13 May 1614.

To be buried in the church of St. Symon and Jude, Norwich, nigh to my father's grave. To ward the building of a porch at the North door ofthe said church, over my grandfather's grave , twenty marks. MY SON THOMAS PETTUS. THOMAS PETTUS MY GRANDCHILD, son of SIR AUGUSTINE PETT US my son deceased, at twenty-one. Dame Bridget my wife. My brother Thomas Pettus. My lease of house and c in London wherein my brother William Pettus dwelt at the time of his decease . John Pettus my godson, son of the said William, my brother at two and twenty.

Item, I do give and bequeath unto Bridgett Saltonstall my grandchild the sum of one hundred pounds and unto Susan Saltonstall my granchild one hundred pounds and unto Christian Saltonstall my grandchild one hundred pounds to be paid unto them at their several ages of eighteen year s of days of marriage, which shall first happen.

My cousin Thomas Potter and Anne his wife shall have the use of the corner nessuage in the parish of St. Symon and Jude, late my uncle Richard Swifte's, after my decease, for the term of seven years upon the condition that he shall pay unto John Pettus my godson, son of my brother Thomas Pettus, yearly, at the said corner messuage, eight pounds.

I bequeath unto my brother Thomas Pettus, my sister Whall, my sister Joanes, the late wife of my brother William, deceased, my sister in law Mrs. Reeves, Mr. George Downing, my brother in law Robert Debny (and others named) a nest of cups or bowls of silver of ten pounds price, with a superscription, "IN MEMORIAN JOHANNIS PETTUS MILITIS."

Cousin Stile, cousin Myles, cousin Richard Dethicke and William Blackhead's wife. To my son i n law Sir Peter Saltonstall knight one bason and ewer of silver double gilt, and one each to m y sons in law Robert Knightley and Martyn Sedly. My niece Susan Pettus of London. My wife Dam e Bridget. My son Thomas Pettus to be sole executor and my son in law Martyn Sedley, my brother Robert Debney and my cousin Henry Pendleton to be supravisors.

Lawe, 51.

Setentia pro comfirmatione was pronounced 4 November 1614 in a causebetween Thomas Pettus, so n of the deceased, and executor of the foregoingwill, on the one part and Dame Bridgett Pettus, the relict, DameChristian Saltonstall, Ann Knightley and Bridget Sedley, daughters, andTho mas and John Pettus, grandsons of the deceased on the other part.

Lawe 116

Reference:--Genealotical Gleanings in England by Henry F. Waters, A.M.

Vol II, pp. 940-941.
http://www.southern-style.com/Pettus.htm

1/30/2019 at 6:11 PM

A rebuttal is here:

===Comments

From http://www.indianreservations.net/2018/03/more-on-richard-bryant-fa...

>Many Internet trees state that there were four Bryant siblings, children of the above Richard and Keziah, Thomas, Richard, Martha, and Silent. These four are real people who lived in the Westmoreland/Stafford/Richmond County area at approximately the same time, but there are no records which either suggest or confirm that they were related, much less siblings. ....

>Richard and Keziah did they exist? Can we prove it? There is nothing to be said about these two. There is no proof that they existed in their current form. Clearly, Richard Bryant of Stafford County had a father, but who he was is not known. Wahanganouche may well have had many daughters, but again, who they are is not known, nor do we know who they married.

>Also, it is important to note the evolution of the KaOkee story in this supposed genealogy. When KaOkee first hit the internet in the late 1990s she was said to be the daughter of Pocahontas and her Native American husband Kocoum. KaOkee as an adult married Englishman Thomas Pettus. They had several daughters, including one who married the Patawomeck Chief Wahanganouche. Keziah Arroyah is supposed to be the daughter of this pair according to many internet genealogy sites, including Multiwords.

>A close scrutiny of this genealogy reveals a flaw that is impossible to overcome. There is no way that a daughter of KaOkee, who could not have been born until 1632/33 could have a child who was old enough to give birth to Richard Bryant in 1651. It is not humanly possible to squeeze in a second generation in that 18 year time span.

From http://www.indianreservations.net/2016/04/keziah-arroyah-fire-woman...

>supposed children of keziah and bryant

>According to the wikitree profile for Keziah Arroyah, she and Richard Bryant had four children. Richard Jr. who is well documented and three others; Silent, Martha, and Thomas Powhatan. Martha Bryant married Thomas Foley and William Burton. She, like Richard, was born in the 1650's and therefore cannot be the daughter of Keziah. Thomas, who was never know as Powhatan, married a woman named Eleanor, Thomas' age also rules him out as Keziah's child. Silent married a woman named Lucy Doniphan but there is no document that proves their existence.

>my conclusion

>It is my belief that Keziah Arroyah as described on the web and on wikitree did not exist. She was not the wife or (Richard) Bryant and not the mother of his children. This is a simple matter of math. There is no way possible for her to be the great granddaughter of Pocahontas. I am convinced that this genealogy is pure fiction.

>This ancestral tree is not the product of genealogy. It does not meet the requirements of the genealogy proof standard

1/30/2019 at 7:07 PM

So I followed up on Silent Bryant, here’s an updated tree

Silent Bryant, Wolf Skin Supplier

He’s sourced at http://www.mdhervey.com/getperson.php?personID=I31629&tree=tree1 with Shawnee Heritage III, Don Greene, page 111

Which as we know is not a reliable source.

Proposed 1st wife of Silent Bryant Is not a known Doniphan, his family is well known in Virginia Geneaolgies.

Dr. Richard Bryant, of Stafford County Was likely an emigrant from England. He was “not” a child of Keziah Arroyah, {person of legend}

It really looks like this tree was a bunch of unrelated Bryant’s strung together with an extra helping of Pocohantas Fever.

Private
6/17/2019 at 2:51 AM

"Elinor appears to be the daughter of Silent Bryant and Lucy Doniphan. Lucy is a daughter of Alexander Doniphan by a yet unknown wife. That wife could be another daughter of Henry Messe and his Indian wife. " - - Bill Deyo - June of 2019

Also restating from Bill Deyo - June 2019 - Dr Richart Bryant is his ancestor many ways, is a child of Kesiah Bryan. There are a handfull of letters to LInda Carr Buckholtz. Seems Bill Deyo has quite a few lines to Dr. Braynt to Keziah and then also the Doniphon line straight to Jane KaOkee, mother of Keziah and Meese. Linda Carr Buckholtz has the letters.

6/17/2019 at 3:11 AM

Need supporting evidence besides Bill Deyo’s suggested configuration for Silent Bryant & his 1st wife Lucy. I couldn’t find any except a note that no children were named in his Probate record.

6/17/2019 at 3:18 AM

“At the time of his death in 1698, his wife, Grace, was named as administrator of his estate. "Order for admcon is granted to GRACE BRYANT, on ye Estate of her deced Husband, SILENT BRYANT deced, giving security according to law. " p. 101, 11 July 1698. Two men named Francis and John Taliaferro were named on her bond. No children were mentioned in the probate records.”

Virginia County Court Records, Deed & Will Abstracts of Essex County, Virginia 1697-1699. Sparacio, Ruth and Sam, eds. The Antient Press, McLean, VA. 1991

6/17/2019 at 4:04 AM

Alexander Doniphan didn’t arrive in America until 1670ish. He and first wife Amy had two children Alexander and Anne. She died about 1690 and he married two more times and had more children - Robert, Mott, Elizabeth and Margaret ,before he died 1715/16. No Doniphans in Northern Neck records before this family.

6/17/2019 at 7:24 AM

Alexander Doniphan was born about 1750 based on his arrival in America, his marriages, his children, and his death in 1716. He can't have fathered a child either before he was born or while an infant and there weren't any other Doniphans in tidewater Virginia at this time so it's impossible for him to have a daughter Lucy who was born in the 1650's. Many land, court, and church records remain from this time period so if Lucy existed she would be named in a record somewhere as a spouse, widow, or mother.

Because of
another strong tradition in the Hansbrough family that Tomas Monteith’s mother-in-law was of the
Doniphan family, and since Thomas DeEll Hansbrough had a sister, Lucy Hansbrough, it is
believed that Elinor Gallop was a daughter of a Miss (Lucy?) Doniphan and a Mr. Bryant, brother
of Martha (Bryant) Foley and of Dr. Richard Bryant (1651-1703). Dr. Richard Bryant (d 1748),
son of Dr. Richard Bryant, above, was closely associated with both Thomas Monteith and Captain
Alexander Doniphan (1653-1717). http://imnothere.org/TomCochranFamilyHistory.pdf

At that time wills often omitted the names of married daughters, especially if they
had taken husbands of good financial status. Since Alexander Doniphan was the only one of the
name here, and since the Hansbrough tradition of Thomas Monteith’s wife being descended from
a daughter of a Doniphan should not be doubted, due to that family’s great knowledge of the
ancestral heritage, it is most logical to assume that his daughter was the mother of Elinor Gallop. http://imnothere.org/TomCochranFamilyHistory.pdf

In addition, Thomas Monteith’s daughter, Magdalen, married Anderson Doniphan, her cousin,
according to family records, and a proven grandson of Alexander Doniphan, through whom she
became the great great grandmother of the late President, Harry S. Truman. It may be important to
note here that Alexander Doniphan co-patented land with John Bowen (d1686) in Old
Rappahannock County, Virginiahttp://imnothere.org/TomCochranFamilyHistory.pdf

Kathryn Forbes statements above
"Alexander Doniphan didn’t arrive in America until 1670ish. He and first wife Amy had two children Alexander and Anne"
"Alexander Doniphan was born about 1750 based on his arrival in America, his marriages, his children, and his death in 1716. "

How could Alexander arrive in America in the 1670's if he wasn't born until 1750? How could he die in 1716 if he wasn't born until 1750?

Something doesn't quite add up

Statement above
"Dr. Richard Bryant, of Stafford County Was likely an emigrant from England. He was “not” a child of Keziah Bryant"

Dr Richard Bryant of Stafford County was a Jr -- his father Richard Bryant b abt 1615 who married Keziah Wahanganoche Bryant would have been the immigrant from England
===================================

Wahanganoche’s daughter, Keziah Arroyah, married (Richard? Name based on other evidence) Bryant, but she might only have been the half-sister of “Mary” above, with a different mother, as she was much older than “Mary”. This is where the DNA may help to solve that. Keziah Arroyah had the son, Richard Bryant, who married Anne Meese, daughter of Henry Meese and “Mary”, daughter of Wahanganoche. Info from Bill Deyo Patawomeck Tribal Historian 6-5-2019

Anne, married secondly to Dr. Richard Bryant, her first cousin, whose mother, Keziah Arroyah, was another daughter of Chief Wahanganoche. http://www.bugmoore.com/stories/patawomeck.htm

6/17/2019 at 10:04 AM

Typo, Alexander Doniphan arrived about 1670, was born about 1650, died 1716.
Son Alexander married Elizabeth Unknown and Sarah Sallis.
Dau, Anne m. (Probably) John Gowre.
Dau. Elizabeth m. Stephen Hansford,
Son Mott m. Rosannah Anderson
Son Robert m. Mary (probably) Wilton
Dau.Margaret m. Owen Dermott
See King George County Marriages and Family Relationships

Anne Bryant, wife of Richard, first married to Unknown Redmond/Redman. Zero information regarding her birth or parentage. Zero connection to Henry Meese. His estates in America went to his children all born in England after his return there.

Showing 1-30 of 37 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion