William Waite - Waite confusion

Started by Erica Howton on Friday, January 25, 2019
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 6 posts

It seems a more popular name than I would have thought, and I think they’ve become confused.

Please help getting them into their proper origins, as best we know.

So far I know this:

http://www.archive.org/stream/greenefamilyitsb01lama#page/277/mode/1up

Another child of William and Meribe Wardell was Rosanna, who married ___ Waite. They had several children who came to the Colonies, Melutable, the oldest, who married Richard Hill, of William, and was left a widow soon after coming to the new country ; Richard Waite, born in 1596, Gambiel, b. in 1598, and Thomas, b. 1601. All of these came about the height of the Anti-Laud emigration. One of the sons, Thomas, went to Portsmouth, R. I., in 1639, and from him all the R. I. Waites are descended. D. Byron Waite's "Waite Genealogy" takes up their history, so it need not be given here.

And it doesn’t seem to fit this Richard Waite, of Watertown

I’ve disconnected Richard of Watertown from likely wrong parents.

Quoted at https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Waite-11

Betty Lichty in 1996 gave the following information - "The first settlers by the name of Waite in New England were: Richard, Gamaliel, and Thomas of Boston; Richard of Watertown; Thomas of Ipswich; Benjamin of Hatfield, John of Windsor, Ct, and George of Providence, RI. This first came before 1640. All claimed (source: "Boston and Western Massachusetts" by Cutler, see below [where the author is there listed as Cutter]) descent from Ricardus Le Wayte (the name has been spelled Waite, Wait, Wayt, Wayte, Waight, and Weight) of the County of Warwick, who was Escheater of the counties of Berkshire, Wilts, Oxford, Bedford, and Bucks in 1315, and was a direct lineal descendant of Ralf, whose wife was Emma, sister of Roger, Earl of Hereford, and cousin of William the Conqueror."

Here’s the Waite DNA project

http://www.waitegenealogy.org/dna.htm

The ancestral haplotype of each of the four primary immigrant ancestors, Richard of Watertown, Thomas of Portsmouth, John of Malden, and Richard and Gamaliel of Boston have been defined.

I have “the three brothers who came to America” (and a sister) attached as children of Rosanna Waite & William Waite of Warwickshire

Based on:

'Another child of William and Meribe Wardell was Rosanna, who married ___ Waite. They had several children who came to the Colonies, Melutable, the oldest, who married Richard Hill, of William, and was left a widow soon after coming to the new country ; Richard Waite, born in 1596, Gambiel, b. in 1598, and Thomas, b. 1601. All of these came about the height of the Anti-Laud emigration. One of the sons, Thomas, went to Portsmouth, R. I., in 1639, and from him all the R. I. Waites are descended. D. Byron Waite's "Waite Genealogy" takes up their history, so it need not be given here ... “

Locations seem funky & it looks like Portsmouth might not belong?

The Malden & Ipswich Waites are from Samuel Wayte, of Wethersford in Essex & Mary Waite

Ok - from the DNA study it looks like 3 brothers from Lincolnshire, unknown parents, and not Warwickshire. I will spin them off.

Showing all 6 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion