Col. George Reade, Esq., Acting Gov. - Death date of Col. George Reade?

Started by Private User on Tuesday, January 1, 2019
Showing all 4 posts
Private User
1/1/2019 at 3:21 PM

Discrepancy? The Master Profile says he died November of 1671, at age 63 and the gravestone says October of 1674, age 66. That's quite a difference. The birthdates seem to be the same. - Harriet Chamberlin Ervin

1/1/2019 at 4:29 PM

I seem to recall something about the tombstone / death date discrepancy but I’m not finding it easily in the mile long repetitive “about” notes. If anyone can clean it up I would be eternally grateful.

Ah - here we go:

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/5737079/george-read

Adventurers of Purse and Person 1607 - 1624/5 and Their Families" published by the Order of First Families of Virginia, indicates in a footnote (pp. 419-420) the discrepancy between the dates inscribed on his Grace Church tablets and the filing of the wills for George Read and his wife Elizabeth as follows: "His and his wife's gravestones were discovered during street excavations in Yorktown in 1931. The inscriptions on both were recut with errors. George Reade's stone now states he died Oct. 1674, "he being in the 66th yr of his age." Since the date should be 1671 (per his will), either the age shown, or his year of birth, is in error as well...

You should probably find the book to read the logic in full, and any rebuttals to it from contemporary studies.

Private User
1/2/2019 at 7:58 AM

Probably the gravestone is in error. Re-dos of old stones misinterpret "fuzzy" dates. :O)

1/2/2019 at 11:32 AM

I think that’s the accepted explanation.

Showing all 4 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion