Maj. Francis Wright - Wright / Washington family cleanup

Started by Erica Howton on Friday, December 28, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing 1-30 of 47 posts
12/28/2018 at 9:39 AM

Francis Wright has son John Wright by wife Anne Washington. Daughter Anne (Wright) Davis. Son Richard Wright with Martha Cox.

Maj. Francis Wright

Anne Wright

Martha Howell

——-

Next generation

John Wright, of Prince William County married
Dorothy Wright

Their children were Francis Wright, of King William County & John Wright, of Fauquier County

Disconnecting as their children:

William Wright

Amos Wright

Richard Wright

Joseph Clarke Wright, Sr.

12/28/2018 at 9:50 AM

Next generation

John Wright, of Fauquier County Married Elizabeth Wright

They currently have a ridiculous number of children attached, and that’s today’s task.

This family has been spun off, thanks to Karl David Wright

John Wright, of Prince Edward County Married Ann Wright

match, merge & disconnect help welcome.

A very good source is Hoppin, Charles Arthur,. The Washington ancestry : and records of the McClain, Johnson, and forty other colonial American families. Greenfield, Ohio: Priv. print., 1932.

Section: Vol. I. The Wrights of London, Virginia, and North Carolina

Book available on Ancestry.com

12/28/2018 at 1:03 PM

@Erica Howton, I'd love to help clean up Captain/Justice John's children, but relationships appear to be locked for this profile and I cannot do it.

12/28/2018 at 1:42 PM

Karl David Wright He wasn’t locked. I’ve unlocked his parents until we’re done.

12/28/2018 at 1:45 PM

By the way

“John Wright married Dorothy (last name unknown). Although Hoppin hypothesized a surname Awbrey for her, this has since been disproved. (Parenthetically, Hoppin also attributed to Anne Washington a daughter Anne Wright, wife of Gerrard Davis, although this lady actually was the daughter of Francis Wright’s second wife; the husband, Gerrard Davis, can be proved to have been born after 1706.) The wife of John Wright was a Dorothy, but was not Dorothy (Awbrey) Wright. Dorothy Awbrey was the wife of John Billups.”

So I have to update notes etc for Anne Davis

12/28/2018 at 2:28 PM

Erica Howton, interesting about surname Awbrey.

As for the locking, try this:

(1) Open Pryor Wright, Sr.
(2) Click "Edit"
(3) Click the "Relationships" tab

Do you see the lock icon next to the parent relationship? I can't delete it.

12/28/2018 at 4:23 PM

The lock icon is in the open position. I know, hard to see. :). The full 🔒 lock
Should look like that.

You may not have full permissions however.

12/28/2018 at 4:49 PM

No, I see the unlocked lock, but I do not see any way of deleting the relationship. Similarly, when I try to add a sibling, I get this:

'You cannot add a sibling to this person because relationships have been locked on a parent or another sibling.'

Effectively I am unable to add or remove children of this profile.

12/28/2018 at 5:11 PM

I can’t find a curator lock. I added you as a manager of Pryor Wright, Sr. see if that makes a difference.

12/28/2018 at 5:14 PM

Sorry, Erica, no difference whatsoever.
I suspect the lock is on the parent in any case from the error message.

12/28/2018 at 5:17 PM

Do you seem to have the ability as curator to unlink this profile? Or are you blocked as well?

12/28/2018 at 5:40 PM

Unless my curator unlocks didnt take! I unlocked everything I could find.

If I disconnect you won’t be able to move to right place because Pryor will become a singleton, unconnected to the WFT.

Try this: make dup profiles with correct parents, merge, disconnect. If you can’t disconnect from wrong parents, set as adoptive, post link, & I’ll slice it off.

?

12/28/2018 at 5:43 PM

Francis Wright, of King William County Was still curator locked, which I undid.

12/28/2018 at 6:13 PM

Hi Erica Howton, that helped a bit and I was able to merge and move all the children belonging to John/Ann Pryor off to where they belong.

I still get errors adding or cutting loose profiles under Captain/Justice John + Elizabeth. However, it tells me now that the *spouse* is still relationship locked, which I take to mean Elizabeth...

12/28/2018 at 6:27 PM

The ones who are left that I just plan to unlink are:

Joshua
Elijah
Edward
Meredith
Jane
Keziah
Rachel

If you know of mention of these in any relation to John of Prince William and Farquier Counties, please let me know.

The ones that need to be added are:

Richard
Francis

12/28/2018 at 8:03 PM

Children of Richard Wright (son of Col Francis Wright & Martha Cox) & his wife Elizabeth Wiggington described here:

https://books.google.com/books?id=jC9fDj72fxAC&lpg=PA146&ot...

Colonial Virginians and Their Maryland Relatives: A Genealogy of the Tucker ... By Norma Tucker. Page 146

Richard Wright, of Westmoreland County & Elizabeth McFarlane

12/28/2018 at 10:27 PM

I marked children of John Wright, of Fauquier County as "adoptive" that I wanted to get rid of entirely. Erica Howton. I hope you'd be willing to unlink these, since I still cannot? Once that's done, the profile's children are in alignment with his overview notes at least -- but I'm not sure the notes are correct by the references. Will be diving into those shortly.

12/28/2018 at 11:07 PM

I'll create children of Richard Wright, of Westmoreland County .

12/29/2018 at 7:12 AM

Capt. John Wright, Jr. & his wife Ann Wright had 23 children? Really?

——

I can’t find where these “children” of John Wright, of Fauquier County belong either. They have been disconnected from him

Rachel Harris
Keziah Carnall
Ann Wright
Edward Wright
Elijah Wright

Now we have the 8 known children.!

12/29/2018 at 7:55 AM

Agreed that for Capt. John Wright, Jr. 23 children is ridiculous. This reference says he had 14 children:

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Wright-989

... and even those might be a bit "stretched". Will require some authoritative research to determine how many kids he really had. Maybe this evening. ;-)

12/29/2018 at 11:26 AM

It turns out that the source of many of John Wright III's children, and also the ridiculous number of children that his eldest son James has, is a set of bad merges. Here's the most recent one:

https://www.geni.com/merge/view?revision_id=72555756770

It looks like the merge was attempted because of a *previous* questionable merge, where another copy of the "correct" James from North Carolina was merged into the other James from Virginia, which made it appear like there were a number of children in common.

Sigh.

I think the best thing to do is try to undo these merges one at a time, until we get back separated families. Alternatively, I can try to split James, but that won't do anything for father John, and I'd have to split him too and recreate that part of the tree from other sources. Erica, what's your best advice?

12/29/2018 at 11:56 AM

The more I think about this, the more I think the best approach is just to split James and then work on father John. I'll get started.

12/29/2018 at 12:04 PM

First new James Wright: Capt. James M. Wright, Sr.

12/29/2018 at 2:11 PM

I spun off some children of John Wright III that were not listed in the Wiki Tree resource I was using. There is some indication in some trees that there is a Mary Pace involved as a wife to some John Wright. So I built those profiles and gave them what seemed like appropriate children from John III's stable. Here's the new John's profile:

John Wright, of Bedford County

One child is now missing from John III that is mentioned in my resource: Daniel Wright. One child is present for John III that is *not* mentioned: Lt. David Wright. Here's the resource; see what you think: https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Wright-989

12/29/2018 at 9:49 PM

Never mind my previous comment; I overlooked a Daniel. ;-)
So, two children were added: Sarah "Sally" Riley (Wright), who was clearly a Wright and married the brother of the Riley that married Frances Wright, a stated child, and Lt. David Wright, who I don't know where he came from but has a DAR number so I don't want to mess with him.

12/29/2018 at 11:08 PM

Lt James Wright

I gave him his correct parents (at least according to https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/88410263 ) and disconnected an extra wife and child

Mary Wright & her son Archibald Wright

12/30/2018 at 12:28 AM

Your Lt David Wright belongs in the same NC family - parents were John Wright (from Scotland) and Annie “Rebecca” Wright

12/30/2018 at 3:31 AM

Ah, thanks for straightening that out!

Glad you mastered these; over-merging is obviously a real problem in this area. Everyone wants to be related to George Washington. ;-)

Anyhow, I think that pretty much answers the genealogy puzzles that were outstanding for the Prince William County Wrights -- at least those that I knew of. I still don't understand why John Wright II's relationships never could be unlocked, though. In order to get things straightened out I wound up needing to "repurpose" a couple of children, and the relationships never appeared to be unlocked for me, even though I did see the unlocked lock icon. Shall I raise a ticket with Geni Support?

12/30/2018 at 4:03 AM

Oh, and I guess we still didn't figure out parentage for this guy: John Wright, of Bedford County

Some trees say his middle name is "Benjamin", which might be a clue. I thought to follow him through Mary Pace, but everyone seems to think he's the same as John Wright III, and I'm pretty sure that cannot be since he has a child whose middle name is "Pace" and also since the marriages would overlap significantly.

12/30/2018 at 5:39 AM

Oh, dear.

May I draw your attention to this profile? Capt. John Wright, Jr.

This is the guy married to Mary Pace but he's been given all the trappings (dates, places, etc) of John Wright III. Curated by Dan Cornett.

We obviously need to merge John of Bedford with this profile -- but we also need to change the profile, in my opinion, to distinguish this from John III.

Erica Howton
Dan Cornett

Showing 1-30 of 47 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion