Thurstan (Toustain) de Montfort-sur-Risle (de Bastembourg), Seigneur de Briquebec - Question regarding currently linked parentage ...

Started by Valerie Ohle on Wednesday, December 26, 2018
Showing all 4 posts
12/26/2018 at 8:47 PM

Thurstan currently links to Ansfrid I "le Danois" dit "le Goz" Hrolfsson, vicomte d'Exmes as his father and that profile is not a master profile, nor is Ansfrid's father (nn Rognvaldson), however nn Rognvaldson links to a master profile. All of these are 2 or more years old (I believe one hasn't been updated in about 11 years. The curator here speculates Anslec de Briiquebec.

The overview on Thurstan states unknown parentage but "speculates" that Ansfrid may be his father. I'm trying to avoid adding any incorrect information to my tree over on ancestry. Does anyone know whether the linked Ansfrid and Ansfrid's father are correct? Assistance would be appreciated.

12/26/2018 at 11:33 PM

In the instance of these early Normans, the curator has done an excellent job and the Curator's Notes and Overviews give the documented information and the traditions, since the information for the early Normans is sparse. You can message the curator on Geni.

12/27/2018 at 7:50 AM

Thank you, Hatte. I'm newish to Geni and simply researching my family history, so not a professional anything.

12/30/2018 at 3:48 PM

I curated some of these profiles early on, but the current curator has a much better grasp of the sources.

You could go either way, stop at Thurstan or go to Ansfrid, since it's a tradition, albeit without reliable primary sources. Just be aware that early Medieval will not have the primary sources or the reliability of later and the best Geni solution is often to give several alternative accounts.

Showing all 4 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion