O. Henry - O. Henry is popular in Russia!

Started by Erica Howton on Wednesday, December 5, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

12/5/2018 at 6:01 PM

Yuriy Wasilchikov tells me:

“O. Henry was very popular in USSR and is still one of beloved writers in modern Russia. For example, today I have found his russian book edition of 1925 year. ...”

“In my childhood one of most funny russian films was The Ransom of Red Chief with best Soviet actors.

You can watch it here for free. https://my.mail.ru/v/ussr_hd/video/films/1725.html

O Henry was anticapitalist, so of course he was popular in Soviet Union. In modern Russia we love him, because he is genius. I cry every time, when I read "The last leaf" and other touching stories. He is like American Dostoevskiy. ...”

“So if you want to know, what russian soul is - you can read O.Henry. He has russian soul and he write about Russian Dream - fair society. After reading his stories you feel the cleansing of the soul, it's real contact with God. In Russia Dostoevskiy could do this, but without humor, it's very hard to read Dostoevskiy.”

—-

We’ve discovered that O Henry has no descent - his daughter died without children. However, her husband was willed her effects and passed them on to his son, Howard Garland “Doc” Sartin

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion