Started by Private User on Monday, December 3, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 17 posts
Private User
12/3/2018 at 2:27 PM

He had two sons and four daughters. Judith, the eldest child, was born in 1592 (christened November 7), before his decade of captivity. (He did not mention her in his will because she was already married off and well provided for.)

The two sons were John and Richard, in that order (there was no Edward), and the other daughters were Margaret, Joane and Mary. John was almost of age, and his father speculated that he might " betake himself to lyve either at the Innes of Courte or at the universities of Oxford or Cambridge"; Richard was younger; none of the three youngest daughters had reached the age of sixteen.

Private User
12/4/2018 at 8:16 PM

After a lot of digging and reassigning, the Admiral's family is now reasonably correct down to circa 1800.

3/10/2019 at 8:34 AM

Thank You for the correction. I have been so confused. How about when was he really born I have several dates.

3/10/2019 at 8:36 AM

I'm sorry I need to know when his son Richard was born

Private User
3/10/2019 at 12:55 PM

Ack-Pthuie! I think they've gotten jacked up AGAIN!

There's clearly a Bad Merge on Admiral Richard's son Richard, because he ***DID NOT MARRY ANY GRACE CUTLAND!!!***

That was a totally different, totally UNRELATED Richard Hawkins!

AND THAT BAD INFORMATION IS NOW IN A CURATOR'S NOTE!!!!!!!!

Private User
3/10/2019 at 12:56 PM

Once this family is sorted out for good and all, it ***MUST*** be Deathlocked just like Royalty.

RELATIONSHIP LOCKING IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

Private User
3/11/2019 at 6:58 AM

I've done the heavy lifting on this family TWICE, and I DO NOT appreciate having it messed up AGAIN.

Private User
3/11/2019 at 7:26 AM

UnMerge required on

Judith Hawley

Margaret Bigge

Judith Hawkins

They were slapped together with a botched-up GEDCOM-based family without any reliable documentation.

Private User
3/11/2019 at 7:33 AM

General notice to all and sundry: GEDCOMs are *NOT* reliable documentation - they don't really count as documentation at all. They're just another form of family tree, with all the problems involved.

*PRIMARY* documentation (i.e contemporary or near-contemporary documents, explicitly naming the person(s) involved) are best.

Well-sourced *secondary* documentation, that relies on and cites as much primary documentation as possible, is second-best. (But be careful, there were/are some clever charlatans out there!)

Family trees, GEDCOMs and the like are at best signposts for a general direction (and at worst totally wrong and misleading).

3/11/2019 at 8:54 AM

Private User I unmerged the last merges on those three profiles.

Private User
3/11/2019 at 1:29 PM

We're not done witt this mess YET. Admiral Richard now has two wives, one Judith Hawkins botched-up and linked to the botched-up GEDCOM-based family I have been trying to pry off him and send back for EXTENSIVE!!! revision and cleanup.

Private User
3/11/2019 at 1:31 PM

And unfortunately even when the Bad-Merges are undone, the Bad Information they added remains on BOTH profiles.

3/11/2019 at 8:16 PM

This is the result of the GEDCOM bug that resulted in a specific large GEDCOM being merged in. I encountered this in New England Great Migration families that were stable and MPed for a decade. We're going to suffer from the side effects for awhile.

Keep pointing out when you find these issues and we can all pitch in. I alerted Erica of this thread and she addressed some of the things you mentioned, even though she was not the curator. I am too overloaded for the next couple of days to do much, but I can help later in the week.

Private User
3/12/2019 at 4:33 PM

Unfortunately the person who triggered this problem has gone away with her feelings badly hurt. Wish she had been more careful in her research, and/or that Geni had not opened the floodgates so wide. :-(

Got a bug with this profile: Richard Hawkins, II

He has a ghost mother that can't be merged with Judith Hele because everything's all locked up.

Private User
3/12/2019 at 4:36 PM

Also, the children are now out of order, unfixable, same reason.

8/24/2019 at 12:03 PM

I claim this line to Admiral John Hawkins.

Gary Wayne Wells b: 1951 - Harvey Edwin Wells b: 1923 - Joseph Aaron Wells b: 1881 - Nathan Henry Wells b: 1848 - William Aaron Wells b: between 1812/1814 - John Boyd Jr. Wells b: between 1790/1900 - John Boyd Sr. Wells b: 1770 - Margret Wells (born Hawkins) b: 1772 - William Hawkins b: 1749 - Robert Hawkins Twin, b: 1717 - Robert Hawkins b: 1691 - Richard John Hawkins III b: 1648 - Richard John Hawkins II b: 1605 - Admiral Sir Richard Hawkins - Admiral John Hawkins b: 1532 - Captain William Hawkins b: 1555

Gary W. Wells
FTDNA #247173

Private User
8/26/2019 at 6:27 PM

Your "Richard John" Hawkinses are probably figments of someone's overactive imagination. Middle names were *extremely* rare before the mid-18th century, and were not used in the Admiral Hawkins line until a bit later than that (c. 1770s, and still rare even then).

Admiral Sir Richard Hawkins had a son John (b. 1604) AND a son Richard (b. 1605). But John's line daughtered out two generations later (no surviving grandsons who had sons, just daughters), and Richard's was continued through - and ONLY through - a son Nicholas.

No Nicholas, no connection.

The joker in the deck is that there are scads of false claims to this line, and some of them sound plausible unless you know the line really well. "Hawkins" was and is a fairly common name, and some Hawkinses emigrated to America and elsewhere - but none who did so in the 17th or 18th century have been found to have any connection to the Admirals' line.

Showing all 17 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion