Major John Lewis, II - SON OF JOHN LEWIS JR AND ELIZABETH O'BRISSELL

Started by Private User on Thursday, November 15, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 12 posts
Private User
11/15/2018 at 4:12 AM

The son of John Lewis and Lydia Lewis, John Lewis Jr. who married Elizabeth O'Bissell had a son named Thomas Lewis who was born in 1691 and married Rebecca Thomas (1704-1748).

Thomas Lewis and Rebecca Thomas had a son named William Thomas Lewis born in 1721

11/17/2018 at 11:13 AM

Source please.

Private User
11/17/2018 at 11:52 PM

Land Patent Book No. 3 p. 4:

1 July, 1653, land granted to John Lewis, 250 acres, head of a branch of Poropotanke Creek called Lewis Creek (formerly Totopotomoye Creek) in Gloucester Co. Adjoining lands of Capt. Francis Morgan and Samuel Sally. Transported 5 persons: John Lewis, Lidia Lewis, Wm. Lewis, Edward Lewis, John Lewis Jr.

1653 New Kent Co VA Land Record

This land went to Lydia Lewis upon the death of John Lewis.

Upon her death, the land went to John Lewis Jr.

There is a passage in a book by My Family Tree: Grace McLean Moses, Genealogist (1908-1996), Descendant of John Lewis, Welsh Emigrant (1592-1657) that describes how this Lewis family is not part of the Warner Hall Lewis family - I will also try to get that for you as well.

Thomas Lewis was born at Gloucester, Virginia 26 Jul 1691. His parents were John Lewis and Elizabeth O'Brissell.

He married Rebecca Thomas Abt 1720 at Virginia . Rebecca Thomas was born at Gloucester, Virginia Abt 1695 .

Rebecca "Becky" Lewis

They were the parents of 3 children:
William Thomas Lewis born 8 Feb 1721.
Judith Lewis born 1722.
Mary Lewis born 28 Jan 1724.
Thomas Lewis died 1750 at Green, North Carolina

William Thomas Lewis

It will take some time, but I will get the original documentation for this group of people that these other geni cites use to support their posts.

Perhaps you can co-ordinate with them to see what support they have for their listings so all of these listings are in agreement.

Private User
11/18/2018 at 9:26 AM

Just remember, just because someone puts something in a book doesn't necessarily mean that it is so. You have to evaluate the sources, and the sources' sources if they are given - and the closer to primary sources you can get, the better.

11/18/2018 at 10:38 AM

It’s also the interpretation (and who did the interpretation) of the primary source data.

For Warner Hall Lewis, I’ve mostly been looking at http://www.jstor.org/stable/1920052

Private User
11/18/2018 at 12:41 PM

Maven B. Helms

I agree with the necessity for primary sources but I would take a secondary source like a book over an unsourced listing on Geni since the Geni listings are subject to mergers and other suspect activities.

If the listing on Geni does not have any source citations why should we be giving it any precedence over a secondary source?

Also, there appear to be internally inconsistent entries on Geni so who are we to believe?

I am working on a write up of Y DNA which is at the heart of a part of my discussion points which will show which groupings are not possible and which of these Lewis men deserve to be listed together. It can not be used to determine an exact ancestor but it can eliminate connections.

Who of the listed people associated with a posting is responsible for seeing that the post is properly supported by primary sources?

I am new to Geni, but have been at this off and on for 20 years.

Private User
11/18/2018 at 12:58 PM

Maven B. Felms

For example, I have been told by some posting in a discussion section that there is no such person as a General Robert Lewis, but I am finding references that show there was such a person, but that this Robert Lewis was not a Robert Lewis that ties into the Warner Hall Lewis family.

That is what the source https://www.jstor.org/stable/1920052?seq=1#metadata_info_tab_contents cited by Erica Howton claims.

That is a 1901 source. It contains the information about the 250 acres held by the John Lewis and Lydia, but this source is at odds with the more recent book by Grace Moses that says this John Lewis was a different person from:

" the true immigrant ancestor of the Lewises of Warner Hall who was a JOHN LEWIS, who settled at Totopotomoys Creek in Gloucester County, Virginia on July l, 1653."

This book contains a detailed analysis of Sorely's book on the Lewis family.

Private User
11/18/2018 at 1:09 PM

The Grace Moses 1992 book can be accessed here if you are on Ancestry.com

https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/49399/FLHG_WelshLineageJohnLew...

Sorley's 1935 book on the Lewis Family is also available online.and can be accessed here

https://books.google.com/books?id=yeWgvfDpwbwC&pg=PA45&lpg=...

11/18/2018 at 1:31 PM

William I just want to tag some of these names so this discussion would also be seen in those profiles
You said
"The son of John Lewis and Lydia Lewis, John Lewis Jr. Captain John Lewis, II, of New Kent who married Elizabeth O'Bissell Elizabeth Lewis had a son named Thomas Lewis wThomas Lewis ho was born in 1691 and married Rebecca Thomas (1704-1748). Rebecca "Becky" Lewis

Thomas Lewis and Rebecca Thomas had a son named William Thomas LewisWilliam Thomas Lewis born in 1721

The only discrepancy I see so far is Captain John Lewis, II, of New Kent parents in this line is showing as John Lewis, I, of New Kent and Sarah Lewis

Looking at the overview on John I see
>>John4 Lewis (Richard3, Henry2, Richard1) (#3320) was born Abt 1637. John died Abt 1670 in Virginia.
He married Sarah Nicholls. (Sarah Nicholls is #4465.) Sarah was the daughter of Henry Nicholls. Sarah became the mother of Richard Lewis in Virginia, Abt 1657. Sarah became the mother of Christopher Lewis Abt 1663. Sarah became the mother of James Lewis Abt 1671. Sarah became the mother of Zachary Lewis New Kent Co., Virginia, Abt 1672. Sarah became the mother of Mary Lewis Abt 1673. Sarah became the mother of Elizabeth Lewis Abt 1677.<<

***Nothing about a child John *** My note

Now Overview of Sarah
>>Children of JOHN LEWIS and SARAH NICHOLLS are:

i. SARAH VIRGINIA5 LEWIS.
ii. THOMAS LEWIS.
iii. WILLIAM LEWIS.
iv. ZACHARY LEWIS, b. Abt. 1672.
v. RICHARD LEWIS, b. Abt. 1657, VA; d. 1698.
vi. CHRISTOPHER LEWIS, b. Abt. 1663.
vii. HENRY LEWIS, b. Abt. 1668, Lancaster Co., VA; d. VA.
viii. JAMES LEWIS, b. Abt. 1671; d. 10 May 1720, Middlesex Co., VA.
ix. MARY LEWIS, b. Abt. 1673.
x. ELIZABETH LEWIS, b. Abt. 1677.[1][1] <<

Again no mention of a child John

So who are the parents of Captain John Lewis, II, of New Kent

Private User
11/18/2018 at 2:34 PM

Everybody: anything published before 1948 WILL give you wrong information on the origin of the Warner Hall Lewises. It wasn't until 1948 that the forgotten tombstone for John Lewis of Monmouthshire was found - and the full significance of it wasn't realized until even later than that.

This link http://lewisathome.com/lewis/book/chapter-7-john-lewis-of-monmouths... includes a nice picture of the tombstone.

3/4/2020 at 8:22 PM

Maven B. Helms- so to be clear- the link you posted should be the CORRECT lineage of the Emigrant John Lewis? I am currently working on his info for my cousin's father's lineage. I was really fascinated by this new information- it would appear that this Lewis line goes waaaay back! Super cool!
Thanks!

3/4/2020 at 8:59 PM

My other observation on this Lewis- Warner family origins is that the book proves the ancestry of John Lewis to be Welsh and that the ancestry of the Emigrant Warner family was most likely Welsh as well which would pose the question of whether their families were already somewhat familiar with each other before they arrived here? The book relating to the Warner family and the subsequent marriage and acquisition by the Lewis family doesn't address the lineage of John Lewis as it was not known until recently.

Showing all 12 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion