Started by Erica Howton on Tuesday, October 30, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 15 posts
10/30/2018 at 10:58 PM

Any opinions?

Cynthia Curtis, A183502, US7875087

From https://www.ancestry.com/boards/surnames.gwaltney/124.4/mb.ashx Posted: 08 Jan 2017 03:42AM

I feel the conclusion that the immigrant Edward Boykin's wife was Ann Gwaltney is almost certainly incorrect. Most records show Edward Boykin born about 1650 and William Gwaltney born about 1655. This would mean he was five years junior to the his son-in-law, so any daughter of his would be at least 25 years younger than Edward Boykin (not unheard of, but perhaps not as likely in that era). Some records show Anne being born about 1652, but since her supposed father died about 1732, this would mean he would have been almost 100 years old when he died.

In addition, there is an item in Surry County (Virginia) Records by Eliza Timberlake Davis, page 281: 4 Oct 1666 wherein Thoms Pitman gives bond to the "widdowe Gualtney after marriage with him ... her youngest son, Wm. Gwaltney, may have two years' schooling." It is likely that this is the same William Gwaltney, which would make him a minor in need of schooling, which would confirm a date of birth of about 1655.

William Gwaltney names his grandson Edward Boykin in his will, but doesn't name any daughter named Ann (or any other name) Boykin, so it is almost certain that she died prior to her father. Edward Boykin names a wife Anne in his will, and many researchers seem to have leapt to the conclusion that because William Gwaltney's grandson is named Edward, then the father of that boy must have been named Edward.

Is it not much more likely that "daughter" Gwaltney married one of Edward's Boykin sons, and that son named the child after his father Edward? Since William Gwaltney died in approximately the same era as the senior Edward's sons, it could even be possible that one of his daughters married one of their sons, and that Mr. Gwaltney's grandson was quite young when his grandfather died.

Unfortunately, Edward Boykin's will shows only one son by name (John), but does split part of his estate amongst his other children, so we know he did have others. Most researches believe his other sons were Thomas, Edward, and William, and that both Thomas and Edward moved to Northampton County, North Carolina. The names of any daughters is not known

10/30/2018 at 11:04 PM

And from https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Gwaltney-8

Ann Gwaltney's great-grandmother Alice Warren was born in 1645, per her 1677 deposition at age 32. There is no way 4 generations could squeeze into less than the probable 45 years between the two women. Time constraints lead to the following lineage:

*Alice Warren, b. 1645 mar. Matthias Marriott
*Margaret Marriott, b. ca. 1660 mar. Robert Flake, Jr.
*Alice Flake, b. ca. 1675 mar. William Gwaltney
*Ann Gwaltney, b. 1690 mar. someone named Boykin and had a son named Edward Boykin mentioned in grandfather Gwaltney's will. This seems to indicate that the women married at the age of 15.
Edward Boykin, Sr. was having children in the 1670-1680 time period but their mother was not Ann Gwaltney. It is more likely she was married to John Boykin, son of Edward, Sr.

10/30/2018 at 11:10 PM

And from http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~mysouthernfamily/genealogy/myff/d008...

It is probable that Edward Boykin, Sr's first wife was Miss Marshall and the mother of John Boykin. John Marshall bought land in Isle of Wight Co., VA in 1683 had sons, John and Humphrey, whos family also had issues. (SEVENTEENTH CENTURY OF ISLE OF WIGHT)

10/31/2018 at 12:37 AM

B 1652 Anne Gwaltney Boykin is the mother of William Boykin, Sr...my direct my direct ancestor. I will look at this again tomorrow in the light of day. Thank you for working on this. I am curious HOW some of these errors remain and go unaddressed even when they are questioned because someone had to LOCK and some one had to make a profile anMP but HOW does this happen? I will do my research. In texting/only typing backl and forth, I understand that sometimes communication seems hostile or whatever. I also understand that some Geni users want to bend the tree lol but I truly come here EXPECTING a certain standard of professionalism and thinking a profile should at least have ONE photo and ONE source.......my VERY FIRST encounter with a curator was disappointing and I was belittled and called names...I prefer to keep this professional and PUBLIC. Just my thoughts as I go to bed KNOWING tomorrow I will come back to assess the BIG tree <3 Good night all.

10/31/2018 at 12:38 AM

And please forgive the typos because well...it really does not matter, but the PROFILES do.

10/31/2018 at 12:51 AM

I - and I suspect most members - are really not interested in reading anything other than genealogy facts in discussions. The complaint department is Geni Customer Support by opening a ticket on the help platform, link at the bottom of every Geni page.

Show us the evidence supporting Ann Gwalthney as mother of William Boykin as your start. You are a long way away from any justifiable complaint.

10/31/2018 at 12:56 AM

Might as well tag this unsourced profile.

Start by filling narrative into the “about” & list the wives and children. And explain the middle name.

William Boykin, Sr.

10/31/2018 at 10:58 AM

I did complain. They do nothing. Thank you. And so back to the genealogy.

10/31/2018 at 11:32 AM

*Alice Warren, b. 1645 mar. Matthias Marriott
*Margaret Marriott, b. ca. 1660 mar. Robert Flake, II
*Alice Flake, b. ca. 1645 mar. William Gwaltney
is what I have so yes, I will LOOK at these dates as they do not make sense---lol OK I am just now seeing the dates as an issue for this line but thinking the lineage is good. I also see that you have done a lot of work. I STILL see two wives though. I don't know now--days later--where I got parents fr the Robert I added so I deleted them.
The question still bodes--how can one have a MP that has NO sources and no photo and is LOCKED? Thank you.

10/31/2018 at 9:40 PM

I will answer you as a curator, starting with your misunderstanding of what volunteer curators do and do not do.

1. We do not do Geni software customer support. We assist members on the platform as experienced fellow members.

2. We do not respond to Geni complaints. We are members just like you and “cannot” and “will not” be held accountable for complaints to Geni. You have one recourse and one only, just like I do: a ticket to Geni.

I will continue when I calm down.

10/31/2018 at 10:03 PM

3. We are fellow genealogists. We volunteer to assist in the mission of one world tree. We are not and cannot be responsible for researching and enduring the accuracy of 127 million connected profiles. That is the job of each and every member.

4. We use the Master Profile to make the profiles one. In the USA tree there are thousands of not yet detailed profiles but who clearly match. Again, this is “not” the responsibility of curators, it is the responsibility of managers, family members, or anyone interested to do.

5. Without the MP in the USA tree we would have some hundred times as many unrelated / unmerged profiles. As example I have personally merged John Alden of the Mayflower over 500 times and new duplicates weekly. Is it better to wait until they are all sourced ?

6. However, the profile in question is controversial; the curator has marked it as such; and “independent” research by me affirms her curating decision. In such cases we ask that discussion be presented. Decisions will “not” be quick.

10/31/2018 at 10:48 PM

Thank you for the information. Again I appreciate all you have done. I have looked at this and walked away and come back, messaged the Curator, come back to Discus or attempt to work this line ...it is not "quick" I understand lol I will keep this one in mind and on my To-Do ....I looked at the Wiki-Tree for this profile and it is awry as well...much of the info I have seen is coming from public trees. I just recently delved back into Fold3 and am always looking for new sources. My gratitude for your attempts.

11/1/2018 at 3:10 PM

You are welcome. It’s good to see the world family tree becoming better every day.

Clearly the Boykin tree needs more efforts to get right. It will come along.

Showing all 15 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion