William Gwaltney - Help

Started by Cynthia Curtis, A183502, US7875087 on Friday, October 26, 2018
Showing all 3 posts
10/30/2018 at 11:46 PM

You are not giving any references or narrative and this is a confused & Disputed area. Looking at it briefly I already see many contradictions in interpretation of the very scanty evidence.

For example:

From https://sallysfamilyplace.com/robert-flake-katherine-moore/

Children of Robert Flake Jr and Margaret Marriott:

1. Alice Flake married William Gwaltney

*a. William Gwaltney bef 1 July 1696 –
*b. John Gwaltney bef 1 July 1696 –
*c. Katherine Gwaltney bef 1 July 1696

----

From https://www.genealogy.com/forum/surnames/topics/boykin/1509/

>Alice Flake and William Gwaltney, Sr. were married in VA.Alice, born ca. 1656 was the daughter of Mathias and Alice Warren Mariott of Surry Co., VA.Margaret Marriott's name is confimed in the Will of her father, Mathias Marriott who states "I give my daughter Margaret Flake a book of Dienyty".It is said that Margaret Marriott Flake was born about 1690.Researchers of the Gwaltney-Boykin lineage have pondered the 1690 birth year of Margaret Marriott Flake and conclude that she was born at an earlier date, possibly ca. 1656.Margaret was the second of four children.

——-

So far my suggestion is for you to specify your Boykin and detail that profile. Once that is done we can work our way up the tree.

I am also not going to alter what the curator has, she studied the topic, without “first” documenting. I can however clean up.

Who is the mother of your “Ann” (should be just “daughter”) Gwalthy who married a Boykin (which one?). Alice Flake or the unknown 1st wife? Think carefully about your answer with attention to chronology on the limited fact we have: Gwalthys Will naming grandson Edward Boykin.

10/30/2018 at 11:57 PM

Further to “not Alice Flake” - this explains the curator note.

From https://www.genealogy.com/forum/surnames/topics/gwaltney/447/

The timing problem you point out is a problem for Gwaltney descendants as well as for Boykins.Add to your points:

5. William (son of Thomas) Gwaltney's first son was born by 1677, and his sons William Jr. and John (stated by Robert Flake Sr. to be sons of William and wife Alice) were born by 1681 and 1687, respectively (dates based on being at least 16 years old when first appearing in the tithable lists).

Thus no daughter (b. 1675 or later) of Margaret Marriot (b. 1660 or later) could be Alice, the mother of William Gwaltney Sr.'s sons, who were born by 1677 and 1681.

The problem is that item 2 in your list ("William Gwaltney married Alice Flake...") contains a logical but unjustified conclusion and needs to be replaced by:

2a. William Gwaltney Sr. married Alice, as proved by the statement of Robert Flake [Sr.?] in giving land to their sons William and John Gwaltney.
2b. A William Gwaltney married a daughter (given name unknown) of Robert Flake Jr.

The obvious inferrence that William Gwaltney Sr. married Alice Flake, daughter of Robert Flake Jr., cannot be correct since the supposed Alice Flake, who could not have been born before 1675, whould have had to have had her first child no later than 1677 (or 1681).In fact, we cannot assume that Alice, wife of William Gwaltney Sr. and mother of at least two of his three sons, was a Flake, nor that the daughter of Robert Flake Jr. who married a William Gwaltney was named Alice.Thus it is possible that there was no one named Alice Flake!

How do we explain the facts?First, we know that the mother of (at least two of) William Gwaltney Sr.'s sons was named Alice.Her surname is unknown, but since Robert Flake [Sr.?] was so generous to the sons of William and Alice, it is quite possible that Alice, the wife of William Gwaltney Sr., was the daughter of Robert Flake Sr.Second, we know that a daugher of Robert Flake Jr. married a William Gwaltney, but we don't know which William Gwaltney.It seems more likely that she would marry William Gwaltney Jr., a man of her generation, but she could have married William Gwaltney Sr., a much older man, after the death of Alice.Note that if Alice was the daughter of Robert Flake Sr. then William Gwaltney Jr. and the daughter of Robert Flake Jr. would have been first cousins.

Showing all 3 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion