Ann Stodgill (Madison) - Ann Madison Birth/Parents

Started by Valerie Anne Sizemore on Thursday, October 25, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 5 posts
10/25/2018 at 9:58 AM

Trying to sort out my offline tree (it links automatically to Ancestry). I had Ann Sturgill (Madison) born in 1665, married to John Sturgill II (1665-1725). I only have one child listed under them (as it's a line I just started), James Sturgill Sr (1695). I didn't have her linked to parents. I was recently working on the Madison line and saw the relationship between her parents, who are listed as John Madison II and Isabella Minor (I've also seen her called Isabella MInor Madison Todd).it shows John as being born in 1665 with an unknown birth year for Isabella.

i'm curious on if Ann's birth date is different, as it shows her birth year as 1665. If her parents were born at the same time, there's no way they would be her parents, as her father would've only been 5 at the time of her birth? When I lined her to John and Isabella, Ambrose (1696) as her brother. Just wondering on everybody else's thoughts on it. Even if using the dates as 'circa' dates it wouldn't make sense.

10/25/2018 at 12:25 PM

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Minor-671#Trees_on_the_Web_that_seem_... Does not list a daughter Ann for the controversial Isabella Minor.

What do you see on the husband side?

10/25/2018 at 12:54 PM

Thanks, on my original tree (the offline one), i Don't have parents listed for her. it wasn't until i was on here that i saw parents listed. The Wiki page also doesn't have parents listed for her. I'd also never seen Todd mentioned as a surname until on here and trying to research it again.

On John (her husband) the following children are listed - Catherine (Madison) Gaines, Mary Madison, Ambrose Madison, Thomas Madison, Henry Madison, Roger Todd Madison, Eleanor Mary Ann Madison
On my offline tree i have Ann Madison's husband's information as
John Sturgill II b. 1665 Essex, Virginia, British America d. 1725 Orange, Virginia, British America (i don't have his family listed either as it's a line I am just getting into).

So, could that be where Todd came from (where ever he got his middle name)? According to the Wiki Eleanor Mary Ann Madison was born in 1702, mother unknown to John Madison Jr.

This is the page on Find a Grave for Ann Stodgill (according to two marriage indexes, this is how it was spelled) -- https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/113780976/ann-sturgill

So, i think, she's (Ann) is possibly Eleanor Mary Ann, as Wikitree says she was born in 1702 and this one said she was born in 1700.. and if she is really linked to John/isabella, one of these dates would make more sense and put her around the same age as Ambrose (he's listed as a brother).

10/25/2018 at 10:17 PM

Can you add the good notes from FindaGrave to Ann’s profile and adjust her dates ?

I’m going to break the connection to the Geni parents, the evidence for them is flimsy. She’s not in his will & the other children are.

If more substantial evidence turns to support her as daughter they can be put back. But we do researchers a Mis Service by keeping her connected speculatively.

10/25/2018 at 10:22 PM

Also this note from FindaGrave

“John first shows up in 1699 when he and Argyll Blackstone both proved a Letter of Attorney according to Essex Co. records.
Argyll's daughter later married John's son.
This contradicts a long-held assumption that this John's wife was Ann Madison, the purported sister of Ambrose Madison, grandfather of Pres. James Madison. The best research on the Madison family does not support the existence of such a daughter. See more under Ambrose Madison in my database.”

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/113781042/john-sturgill

Showing all 5 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion