Ann Langston (Vann) - Ann Langston nee Vann

Started by Private on Friday, October 5, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 11 posts
Private
10/5/2018 at 12:32 AM

I would like to add to this discussion.I am the 8th great granddaughter of Ann Vann who married John Langston.You will find on Family Finder that I do have a DNA match with Ann Vann, daughter of Sarah Oonaneechi and William Vann and Ann was the wife of John Langston.I also have other Family Finder DNA matches with other members of Vann family.Hope this helps.
Pat Rodgers.

10/5/2018 at 5:17 AM

Whoever Ann Vann Langston was she had no Cherokee connection; she probably wasn’t born in France either. There is no such person as “Sarah Ocaneechi” and I have not seen anyone named William in the Vann families with Cherokee connections. The first Vann to go to Cherokee country was John Vann (1720-1790) who is believed to be the son of another John Vann who moved to Chowan County, NC about 1705. The younger John had a brother named Edward (1710-1773). Edward had two sons, Joseph (1735-1785), and (Clement (1747-1820),and possibly a third named Avery who also lived with the Cherokee. All these mem were white, although John, Joseph, and Avery all had Cherokee wives and children.

10/5/2018 at 9:08 AM

This seems to be the Ann Vann named as Ann Langston in the will of Joseph Vann dated April 27, 1752. Joseph named Sons: George, Jacob. Dtrs: Jude & Ann Langston, Elisabeth, Mary, Dorcas. This is NOT the Joseph who went to the Cherokee Nation, he might be an uncle or cousin.

1/10/2019 at 2:28 PM

That’s a later Ann (Vann) Langston: Ann Langston

This one Ann Langston

has these origin notes:

If she was a daughter of this couple, she cannot have been the mother of children born between 1688 and 1696. Was she a 2nd wife ?

Father: william VANN b: 12/26/1663 in soper lane, england Mother: sarah ? b: 1667 in nansemond co, va

Marriage 1 john LANGSTON II b: 1660 in kent or nansemond co, va

Children

1. john LANGSTON III b: 1710 in isle of wight, va

And From http://www.greatanswers.com/LangstonFamilyTree/Langston09.html

There are records of an Ann Vann being born in Nansemond County in 1696, indicating that she would have been too young to be the mother of any of the following children. Another Ann Vann lived in the same county and died in 1685 at age 15. There might have been as well an elder daughter named Ann in another branch of the Vann family, but this is still undetermined.

Private
1/10/2019 at 2:45 PM

Thank you so much Erica,I couldn't take that all in when I read it,and you came to the rescue.What a wealth of information you have sent me in the attached site.IWill study it.Thank you so much,
Pat.

1/10/2019 at 3:13 PM

The Langston family needs more cleanup. I've always found that when something is puzzling and unclear: 1) work from bottom up 2) work through the collateral families to see what they've compiled.

Part of this, too, is to gain a better picture of the groupings. For example, I had seen in medieval Scotland a Laird's daughter married to a shoemaker. Unless he was making some magic shoes, that's a mixup. :)

1/10/2019 at 3:16 PM

The earlier Ann Vann reference as daughter of Father: william VANN b: 12/26/1663 in soper lane, england Mother: sarah ? b: 1667 in nansemond co, va

That would be this

William Vann, of Chowan County

and this Sarah

Sarah Vann

1/10/2019 at 3:23 PM

I made a profile for the Ann Vann born 1696 Ann Vann

1/10/2019 at 3:34 PM

I think the name Catherine is a mixup name.

I see here:

https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/collaborate/MTWH-2T6

LAND: Catherine Langston (widow of John Langston, decd of Nansemond County, Virginia) patented 380 acres in Nansemond County on the Cypress branches of ___Creek. 25 Apr 1694. Vol 8, p335, Virginia land Office, Richmond, Virginia

BUT we have an Ann Vann (born about 1718) who married THOMAS Langston. Not sure yet who this land patent refers to.

1/10/2019 at 3:35 PM

Probably the wife of the first John Langston

Katherine Langston

Private
1/10/2019 at 4:33 PM

Primary source put in for the wife of the:
Son of Edward Vann and Sarah Vann
Husband of Sarah Rice / Ga Ho Ga / Caribbe. The other two wives should be disconnected: Ann Vann and Sarah Vann

Showing all 11 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion