Marguerite of France, Queen of England - My Grandmother

Problem with this page?

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 19 posts
Private User
9/22/2018 at 7:21 AM

Hello Cousin

Marguerite of France, Queen of England is Raúl Castro Chacón, Capitán de Navio's first cousin 16 times removed!
Raúl Castro Chacón, Capitán de Navio
Tú → Raúl Castro Puga
your father → Homero Castro Echeverría
his father → Eloísa Echeverría Castro
his mother → José Ramón Echeverría Ruiz-Tagle
her father → Diego Echeverría Larraín
his father → Mónica Josefa Larraín Lecaros
his mother → Francisco Larrain de la Cerda
her father → Mónica de la Cerda
his mother → Juan de la Cerda Méndez de Contreras
her father → Alfonso Messía de la Cerda Poblete
his father → Alonso Juan Messía de la Cerda Torres
his father → Melchor Messía de la Cerda
his father → Leonor Rodríguez de la Cerda, Señora de La Vega de Armijo
his mother → Alfonso Fernández de la Cerda, Señor de Almendra y Sardeal
her father → Juan Alfonso de la Cerda de Castilla, señor de Gibraleón
his father → Infante de Castilla Alfonso "El Desheredado" de la Cerda, electo rey de Castilla y León
his father → Blanca Capet de France
his mother → Felipe III "El Atrevido" de France, Rey de Francia
her brother → Marguerite of France, Queen of England
his daughter

Private User
9/25/2018 at 6:54 AM

She's got a doppelganger husband:

Edward I "Longshanks", King of England is the same person as
Edouard Ier d'Angleterre (nb this one was added by a Claimed Historical Profile)

Private User
9/26/2018 at 1:50 AM

Marguerite of france is my 24th great aunt, making Edward 1 'Longshanks' my 24th great uncle.

9/26/2018 at 7:54 AM

Edward is my 21st GGF, and Eleanor is my 21st GGM. Marguerite at first showed up as just "his wife" but then it showed up as my 23rd ggm. *shrugs*

9/26/2018 at 9:56 AM

Since Marguerite of France, Queen of England, is my 20th great grandmother on my father's side, she happens to be just one of my 524.268 twentieth GG Mothers on my father's side.

Private User
9/26/2018 at 11:01 AM

Marguerite of France, Queen of England is my 1st cousin (16 times removed) on my mother's side. ;)

9/26/2018 at 2:00 PM

My 22 Grandmother

9/26/2018 at 3:43 PM

2nd cousin 25 times removed on my mother's side.

9/27/2018 at 6:11 AM

@ Marguerite of France
Edward 1st had a previous wife Eleanor of Castile Lyon who bore almost all of his children, including my ancestral grandmother (Marguerite bore him very few). He was the last Plantagenet ancestor that I had. His descendent Richard II (1372-1399) adopted the Plantagenet name officially about 1377 - before it was Martel, the family name of his ancestor Geoffrey V Count of Anjou and father of Henri Martel (Henry II of England (1154-1189). My source was Thomas B Costaine, author of a four volume history of the Plantagenets. Charlemagne was really named Charles "Le Magne: Martel too although I cannot trace any familial connection between he and Henry II. The name Plantagenet comes from the Latin name "Planta Genesta", (Yellow Gorse - a wild flower that Compte Geoffrey liked to stick in the brow of his oversized beret - it was renamed in Latin following the adoption of Linnaeus's system of naming species.

Private User
9/27/2018 at 7:04 AM

Just a reminder that Costain is, at best, a secondary source. While his research is usually fairly sound, his habit of "coloring" the facts for entertainment value should also be taken into account. (He was actually better known as a historical novelist.)

I have never found any primary source that source that cited "Martel" as a surname for the early Plantagenets - especially considering that they were a bit early for surnames as we know them. (Royalty were among the last to adopt them, because everyone knew who they were.) They were better known by nicknames: Henry (II) "Curtmantle", Richard "Coeur-de-Lion", John "Lackland"....

Charlemagne (Karolus Magnus, Charles the Great, or as I sometimes humorously refer to him, "Big Charlie") was WAY too early for surnames. "Martel" was a nickname his grandfather Charles used - it means "the Hammer" and refers to the way he clobbered the invading Saracens at the Battle of Tours n 732.

It seems actually to have been Richard, 3rd Duke of York (1411-1460) who formally adopted "Plantagenet" as a surname, circa 1448. Later - MUCH later (17th century onward) historians retrospectively applied it to all of his ancestors and collateral back to Geoffrey, count of Anjou and father of Henry II. Previously they were referred to as "Angevins" or "d'Anjou" when it was necessary to treat the family collectively instead of as individual rulers (and the farther back you go the rarer this is).

Private User
9/27/2018 at 7:28 AM

FYI: found the link between Geoffrey of Anjou and Big Charlie. It's a "mixed" descent via one of Charlie's great-granddaughters (Rothilde of the Franks, a daughter of Charles II "the Bald"), and there are two more distaff links in the chain.

Geoffroy V, Count of Anjou, Maine and Mortain →
Ermengarde, countess of Maine, his mother →
Helias, Count of Maine, her father →
Paula of Maine, his mother →
Heribert I, comte du Maine, her father →
Hugues III, comte du Maine, his father →
Hugues II, count of Maine, his father →
Hugues, count of Maine, his father →
Rothilde of the Franks, his mother →
Charles II "the Bald", Western Emperor, her father →
Louis I, The Pious, his father →
Charlemagne, his father

Big Charlie is practically everybody's great-(X)-granddad, as long as they yave some Western European ancestry. (Persons of Asian descent are very likely to find Genghis Khan in their family trees.)

Private User
9/27/2018 at 7:28 AM

have, not "yave" :-P

9/27/2018 at 9:01 AM

@ Marguerite of France
Maven, you are a whiz! Thank you for the corrections, I'll modify my tree to show it. Where else can I find your posts as I have found many ancestors of mine who need better confirmations (I am a professional auditor so details really matter to me).
I have also found myself to be descended two different ways to "Rollo" (Rolfr Ragnvaldsson - 846-931 AD). The longer line of descent is through the William the Conqueror, the shorter through his second cousin Hawise (d 1034) who married Geoffrey de Bretagne. Their GGG grand daughter Mahaut de Bretagne married Walter de Gaunt who was descended from Charlegmagne. I will try tyo match my findings with what you have written. Incidentally, I have traced Big Charlie back to St Arnoul, Bishop of Mainz.
Rollo is buried in a sarcophagus near the south wall of Notre Dame Cathedral in Rouen, France in a line with the sarcophagus of Richard the Lion-heart. Rollo was a jarl (now called an earl), likely Norwegian, maybe Danish, who was elected "Gangr" by his fellow jarls. He led the Norsemen into northern France in 1911 and captured seven cities. The King of France Charles the Simple allowed them to keep the lands if they adopted Christianity and took French names for themselves.

Marguerite of France, Queen of England is your 25th great grandmother.

Private User
9/28/2018 at 4:44 PM

Previous attempts to decipher the DNA of early Normans ran aground on findings that the remains were too old to be Norman. Who shuffled things around, and when, and why, remain unsolved mysteries.

Private User
10/21/2018 at 9:10 PM

Marguerite of France, (le Hardi) Queen of England is my 21st great grandfather's 2nd wife
i.e.Edward I "Longshanks", King of England is my 21st great grandfather.

and hello cuzzies
Madison you appear to be my 15th cousin once removed
Michael McManus is your 17th cousin once removed
William Harold Roe is your 18th cousin once removed
Kristin Felicia VanNest is your 18th cousin once removed
Nancy Ann Arnold Wood is your 18th cousin thrice removed
Paul W. Bayly Llona is your 18th cousin five times removed
Camilo González is your 19th cousin once removed
Phillip LaSusa is your 19th cousin once removed
Jessica Moira Sabine Christophe-Dymock is your 19th cousin twice removed
Steve Fritz Sr. is your 21st cousin once removed
Maven B. Helms is my 21st cousin twice removed

kind regards

Selwyn

10/29/2018 at 11:56 PM

Marguerite of France , Queen of England is my 19th great grandmother and King Edward the First is my 19th great grandfather

10/29/2018 at 11:58 PM

and Elenor Castille is my 20 th grandmother

Showing all 19 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion