Francois Joseph Savoie SOLVED

Started by Joseph Bolton on Saturday, September 15, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

This discussion has been closed by an administrator.
Showing 2191-2220 of 2234 posts

Oh, and what’s the date of your website? Probably last updated 2022?

Your talk of “must be published before 1836” is nonsense. The letter you don’t believe exists was written in 1638 and the biography published later, that’s all.

The Figli letter is just one example. Either you believe the historian was reading the primary source material or you don’t. Your website is not based on an archive. There are no citations. Now, I’m sure it’s mostly perfectly fine, and the discrepancy can be easily corrected - or your query ignored. But the rest of the world will continue to work with historians.

Not to mention she's gullibly swallowing a BAD MACHINE translation as "accurate". I should have mentioned that "moribondo" is a gerundive with gender but no age, and should have been translated as simply "Dying,".

Unlike *some* people here, I *can* read Italian.

The child's age was explicitly stated in two places earlier: "picciolo", which is a slightly antique form of "piccolo" (little" - a "piccolo" is a "little" flute), and "sei anni", "six years old". There was *no need* to belabor the point any further.

Pfffff - Mary, you wouldn't believe them if you *could* read them. And if you have to rely on Google Translate, you're *not* reading them.

"I have no problem with being proven wrong" - pull the other leg, it's got bells on.

You are not reading the citations or understanding them, much less doing any real research instead of relying on a typo. If you were, you’d easily see sources are not “regurgitating” a tomb inscription. For example, our ciphering Duke the English ambassador didn’t know Francois’ birth date unless he was invited to a birthday party or something - and he did attend a family party before Victor Amadeus died, with four of his children. And he reported the child duke died, remarking how smart yet sickly he was.

I was just looking at the Italian encyclopedia for Victor Amadeus, with a half page of citations. Did you even check one? Your website is the only place he’s noted as 15. So 400 years of published history is wrong?

Mary, that’s just not true. Most of the published work is based on official chronologies and genealogies from the political entities involved, as well as well known genealogies of Royal families.

You. Are. Not. Looking.

You. Do. Not. Want. To. See.

You shouldn’t be reliant on just what I try to spoon feed to you, nor are you even looking at Geni. I’ve just updated the Francis Hyacinth, duke of Savoy profile; and so you know, those of us who so medieval genealogy consider the site FMG Medlands the main “go to” these days. I haven’t mentioned it in this discussion because Cawley’s article on these Savoie’s is not (yet) footnoted. But it is rare there mistakes on the site. He omits what he can’t have verified.

This is the Italian encyclopedia for his father, I’ve been more focused on his mother. But this is a drop in the bucket, really. She has published letters for example.

https://www.treccani.it/enciclopedia/vittorio-amedeo-i-di-savoia_%2...

Mary, it’s really not a debate. For whatever reason you’ve glommed onto a “lost prince” story and conflated it with “empty tomb” fantasies. I would leave you to your theories but unfortunately, you are proposing them as if there’s something to them. There isn’t. I can think of many more plausible scenarios for your ancestors origins than a hoary old “he wasn’t really dead” fakery.

This paragraph is not based on a tombstone.

From the prestigious Italian Biographical encyclopedia:

https://www.treccani.it/enciclopedia/vittorio-amedeo-i-di-savoia_%2...

A distanza dalla tumulazione, come era consueto, a Torino si tennero le esequie nel duomo di S. Giovanni, con un’imponente cerimonia il cui apparato effimero fu realizzato dall’architetto ducale Carlo di Castellamonte (18 dicembre 1637, Torino, Biblioteca Reale, Funerale dell’Altezza Reale di Vittorio Amedeo, Mss., O.I.9). Vi parteciparono, con la famiglia ducale, il nunzio pontificio, il maresciallo de Créqui, l’ambasciatore francese Particelli d’Hémery, portavoce di Richelieu (il garante per la reggenza di Cristina in nome del piccolo Francesco Giacinto, di soli cinque anni), tutti i vescovi, i cavalieri dell’Annunziata, i magistrati e i ranghi della corte al completo.

Google translate:

After the burial, as was customary, the funeral was held in Turin in the cathedral of S. Giovanni, with an imposing ceremony whose ephemeral structure was created by the ducal architect Carlo di Castellamonte (18 December 1637, Turin, Royal Library, Funeral of the Royal Highness of Vittorio Amedeo, Mss., O.I.9). The papal nuncio, marshal de Créqui, the French ambassador Particelli d'Hémery, spokesman for Richelieu (the guarantor for the regency of Cristina in the name of little Francesco Giacinto, who was only five years old) participated with the ducal family, all the bishops, the knights of the Annunciation, the magistrates and the entire ranks of the court.

Erica, could you please provide he link to the Oral Traditions under the Francois Joseph Savoie profile?

From Maven B Helms: "Can we PLEEEEEEASE have this stupid thread closed?????"

Is it any wonder why people are reluctant to share on Geni stories from their family's Oral Tradition?

Done.

• Oral tradition - John Albert Despres <link>
  • Oral tradition - Joseph Bolton <link>

Mary - what? The article is about Vittorio, not Francois, who is a footnote in history. Vittorio named his heir, Francois named his heir Carlo, that’s usual, it did not need Vittorio. The issue was that they were infants so a Regency was needed. Evil uncles saw their chance for power. That’s it. Christina won, and her many children were well protected from warfare. However, not so much from childhood maladies.

Also, if you’re going to pick on specific words - get a real Italian to translate for you. Again, your local university can help.

It’s amazing to me how you think your theory is better than a biographical encyclopedia.

1. You are misinterpreting the article.
2. The article is not about his succession. For more on that, read more on Christina.
3. All the available documentation is available to the historians who contributed.
4. All the available documentation has been published. You have chosen not to accept the interpretation of those documents. For example, no, you probably don’t get to look at the original letter held in the French archives. But you can learn who is reliable and who is not.
5. There is a half page of references to Piedmont history in that article. Go read. Go talk to students of the era.
6. Admit that you don’t know, you’re not a historian or a genealogist any more than you’re a geneticist, and that you’re on this earth to learn, not to mislead.

Mary - it’s better documenting practice not to filter through anyone. Just upload to Francois’ profile.

If you don’t accept the citations, why are you wasting our time asking for them? Why is it that you don’t accept a death reported by eyewitnesses, attesting to his age, and do accept a typo?

Go talk to historians.

Mary - see, your own citation.

”in October 1637, Victor Amadeus died, and with his eldest son Francis Hyacinth only five years old, …”

But seriously, this is ridiculous, and also, has nothing to do with the oral tradition.

But there is credence to the old saying, "sometimes truth is stranger than fiction" and our Francois Savoie is a prime example.

Absolutely not, and you’re verging on fraud.

Go talk to historians.

… especially when there is a substantial amount of circumstantial evidence.

The opposite. The theory is increasingly implausible the more details are accrued. Your approach to historic reconstruction is to pick on words out of context and use that as your argument to invalidate any point you don’t agree with. It doesn’t work that way. Rather, it’s on you to provide affirmative evidence. You have not because there is none.

Enough, or I will have this discussion closed.

So much for being "done", eh?

In case you haven't noticed, the site suffers from run-on paragraphs whenever a picture is added - there should have been a blank line after the description under each picture, but there never is. Also, the body text is *out of synch* with the illustrations.

A less bizarro reading would be that the Dukes (and later Princes) of Savoy were ex officio Grand Masters of the Order by right of birth - and it is well known that the high and mighty don't have to obey the same rules as lesser beings.

A look at the list of members of the Order of the Garter (England/UK) makes an enlightening comparison. The Sovereign, whoever he/she may be, and his/her heir apparent or presumptive, are always automatically included - even if they are underage.

The list includes:
Edward, Prince of Wales (nominally Edward V), born 2 November 1470, inducted about 1475 (age 5)
Richard, Duke of York, his brother, born 17 August 1473, inducted about 1475 (age 2)
Arthur, Prince of Wales (son of Henry VII), born 19 September 1486, inducted about 1491 (age 5)
Henry, Duke of York (later Henry VIII), born 28 June 1491, inducted about 1495 (age 4)
Henry Fitzroy (natural son of Henry VIII by Elizabeth Blount), born 15 June 1519, inducted 1525 (age 6)
Henry, Prince of Wales (son of James I), born 19 February 1594, inducted 1603 (age 9)
Charles, Duke of York (later Charles I), born 19 November 1600, inducted 1611 (age 11)
Charles, Prince of Wales (later Charles II), born 29 May 1630, inducted 1638 (age 8)
Frederick, Prince of Wales (son of George II), born 31 January 1707, inducted 1718 (age 11)
William, Duke of Cumberland (son of George II), born 26 April 1721, inducted 1730 (age 9)
George (III, grandson of George II), born 4 June 1738, inducted 1750 (age 12)
Edward, Duke of York (his brother), born 25 March 1739, inducted 1752 (age 13)
George, Prince of Wales (George IV), born 12 August 1762, inducted 1771 (age 9)

And lest you think the custom had been forgotten:
HRH Prince Charles, born 14 November 1948, appointed 26 July 1958 (age 9)

Still want to argue the point?

I can’t see the names on the coins.

So far there’s this one with provenance.

https://www.bridgemanimages.com/de/noartistknown/gold-coin-depictin...

Sorry, you lose. That's CHRISTINE on the left in all those photos. https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces315690.html

And the single example (there *is* only one, a 4 scudi coin) for Francesco Giacinto has no date, but had to have been produced during his short reign (1637-1638). That's him on the ***RIGHT***, with his MOTHER on the left.

Just stop it already before you skid all the way across the line into fraud - you're too close to the line as it is.

This one does not have dates

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/gold-doppia-worth-4-s...

Looks like Christine (left, adult) and child.

Your point?

Not very helpful, Erica. You need complete images of the coin(s), and both sides. Check these out: https://en.numista.com/catalogue/savoy-3.html

Click on the image to enlarge it.

Thanks, that’s a lot better.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces315690.html

4 Scudi - Francesco Giacinto
(1637-1638)
Gold (.986) • 12.76 g • ⌀ 35 mm
KM# 162, Fr# 1067, MIR# 724, N# 315690

Obverse
Accolated busts of Francesco Giacinto and his mother to right right

Lettering: +CHR. FR. FR. HYAC. DVCES. SABAV. P. P. PED. R. R. CYPRI.

Reverse
Seated Madonna with Child in laurel wreath

Lettering: DEDVCET. NOS. MIRABILITER. DEXTERA. TVA.

Showing 2191-2220 of 2234 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion