Francois Joseph Savoie SOLVED

Started by Joseph Bolton on Saturday, September 15, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

This discussion has been closed by an administrator.
Showing 151-180 of 2234 posts

Yes. My user name is Shonda Sayers Feather.

Actually, my member name is combined: ShondaSayersFeather. No spaces.

Hi Shonda,

I found you on ancestry and you don't match my mother and her siblings. That does not mean that you are not a Savoie ancestor. Our common ancestor is so far back that we get the right genes passed down for that connection. Perhaps Bill Gabunia Debuque can check his DNA results.
Joe Bolton

Our common Ancestor is Germain Savoie, the son of Francis Savoie so that does go back quite a ways.

Yeah. There are people I know in other lines of my tree that I should connect with but have little or no connection. The blood gets a little muddy through the generations.

Germaine Savoie is one of my ancestors as well through my maternal grandfather's mother "Marie Rose Savoie" d/o Joseph Moise Savoie and Madelaine Leblanc.

I had a question about the Savoie connection. Marie Savoie is my 8th great grandmother, daughter of Fracois Savoie and Catherine Lejune. (She married Gabriele Chiasson, my direct male decendent) My ged match number is FB3802574, Curious to know if there is a remote connection.

Oh wow me to on my mother side . And i also have a her brother on my father side . My dna is not done but i curieuse to read the answer you will have from other people.

What's needed is to find direct male descendants of tomaso's dad or there abouts and find out what their ydna is. If you get a match on that, then it's a clincher.

By direct male descendant, I'm referring to direct paternal line.

The Euro lines of Savoys from the Duchy of Savoy have no interest in participating. ☹️

Nevertheless, I’m confident that we have this figured out through more indirect DNA evidence.

Without real evidence, I’m less than convinced.

Hi Glen, I'm not sure what constitutes "Real Evidence" from your perspective. We have DNA evidence as well as a very old and widespread oral tradition. Decent from royalty is no longer an extraordinary claim but is very common if you go back far enough. So, why should we be surprised that Francois Savoie is the son of Tomasso Savoia?

Hello from Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Francois Joseph Savoie is my 9th great grandfather. This is my lineage from him going down:
Germain Savoie and Marie Brault
Francois Xavier Savoie and Marie-Joseph Richard
Honore Savoie and Anne-Marie Comeau
Francois Savoie Sr. and Genevieve Paquin
Francois Savoie Jr. and Marguerite Provost
Francois Savoie III and Genevieve Alain Dudemaine
Genevieve Marie Savoie and Liboire Baril (settle in St. Jean-Baptiste, Manitoba)
Joseph Baril and Emma Morin dit Valcourt
Francesca Baril and Alphonse Beaugrand dit Champagne
Beatrice Beaugrand dit Champagne and Adrien Girouard
Richard Girouard (Moved to Montreal, Quebec).
I have had my DNA test done thru ancestry and it connects to Tommaso. My grandmother Francesca's younger sister Marie-Jeanne Baril (1903-1984) had told me stories that we were related to italian royalty. I thought it was a joke at the time, but you guys confirm it. The family photo of my great grandparents and their children, everyone looks italian in it. I have been following this conversation and I found it very interesting and decided to post this message.

Hello Cousin Richard!! I’m so glad to meet you and I appreciate you sharing the stories of our Savoie family. My great Aunt Rita Savoie for years shares the story of how are family came from Royalty. Can you share some more detail on how your DNA test links to Tommasso?

Thank you,
Joe BOLTON (Savoie)

Now, it isn't connected. Ancestry keeps on changing when I add information. Now it has dropped down to Francois Savoie (1741-1830) and his wife Genevieve Paquin (1741-1807). So what i have so far is 62 DNA matches with 6 and 96 cM. I wish I could understand all these types of codes for DNA.

I see that we are related thru the Girouard and Hache dit Gallant lines.

Bill Gabunia Debuque' DNA result is the Rosetta stone that cracked the Francois Joseph Savoy case wide open. I also find it very interesting how the oral traditions of Francois Savoies royal origins were past down to Savoie decendants over widely geographically dispersed areas like Canada, Louisianna, and New Enlgnad. This traditions persisted long before the internet. Facinating!

Richard, the other point I would make is that your connection to Tomasso is still there, however, ancestory will always to to find the shortest path by default and not the longest. It also has trouble when it has multiple paths. This happend when you fed additional information in to nto the system.

Regarding DNA matches, I have a number of matches on Ancestry, who possess the following surnames: Savoie; d'Entremont; d'Eon; etc..Now these are all names found in the Savoie line back to Tomasso you are researching..In a previous post I mentioned that my ancestor Mahieu de Savoye (Begian spelling for Savoie) lived in a town called Ath..As did his descendants for a long time..Now Jacques de Savoie Comte de Romont, also lived in Ath..Unfortunately there are no records linking him to my Mahieu..But what are the odds of there Not being a connection?..This would then be a connection further back to members of the Savoie family in France..How else could I be a DNA match for the Savoies, D'Entremonts, D'Eons, etc I match with on Ancestry..I did connect those lines up at one point; but they were removed by a Geni curator, who insisted: No records,; No proof...Frustrating..I don't match with everyone on here, but sometimes DNA works like that..I have matches with some siblings, & not with others..But a connection back to that French Savoie line for us Must be the case!..Even if some on Geni, dispute it.

It helps if that is the only way you can be connected to certain individuals...And if the name is uncommon.

DNA, when coupled with other evidence can make a compelling case for a relationship, hence the whole point of my original post in this discussion. The solution to Francois Joseph Savoie's origins is based on convergence of evidence of which DNA is one piece.

I'm also a descendant. I'm an 1/8 Acadian. My Gedmatch # A141650

Hello Cousin Annie!! Welcome!

With permission I am saving the following email:

Hi Joe (I sent the same notes to Bill Guarnia Debuque), My name is
Pierre-France Bondesen-David and I am a descendent of Francois
Savoie. I was born to a Danish-Canadian mother and a Quebecois father. I
had my DNA
done by 23andMe and to my surprise I had a small percentage of Spanish,
Portuguese,
Iberian and Italian DNA (father's side). My mother's mother also had a bit of
Spanish...and was related by blood to the Boucher family (through Agathe
Boucher).
My late father (Pierre Francois Joseph DAVID) was always asked if he was
Italian or
Spanish. He looked at times like Dean Martin (olive skin and good looks).
He always
laughed it off and would indicate that he was of French and Irish mix
...and Acadian
blood. When I had my DNA done, I then realized that people who asked if
latin blood
was in our veins were indeed right. So my father is indeed French, Irish,
British,
but also Spanish, Portuguese, Italian and a dash of German. I was clueless
as to
where the latin link came from...and then I read your email exchange with J.

Bolton and others on Geni concerning Francois Savoie. I then went on
Gedmatch and
bingo! I am connected to the Savoies...genetically and through genealogy. My
gedmatch #: ZR4278626. One of the Savoies I am connected with is Paul Savoie
A744175 (through a match with Lucia Fryer AX1222703). So my question to you
is...are we indeed related? Thank you. Pierre-France By the way, you may
the contents of this email.

Hello Cousin Pierre! And welcome to the Savoie family. My mother Carol Savoie and her brother's and sisters all have Iberian, Spanish and Portuguese in their DNA as well as a small amount of Native American DNA. All of which is consistent with what we know of the ancient Savoie line of Francois Joseph Savoie being the son of Thomas Francis of Savoy, prince of Carignano, who was a mix of Spanish, Italian, Portuguese and French. The Native American is also consistent with the Savoie's having Micmaq ancestry from Nova Scotia with Henri Membertou of the MicMaq community.Also, my grandfather Roland Savoie also had an olive complexion with Jet black hair, all consistent with his Latin roots with a little Native American mixed in.

Good morning!

I came across this discussion. François Savoie Joseph Savoie is my 10th great grandfather. Here is my geni push pin link: https://bit.ly/2YQWlLb. My kit is GW264908C1. I ran one to one autosomal comparisons to the following kits: A733975, A034818, A258374, A386436, A531526, A680750 and A744175.

Kit Chr Start End cM SNPs
A733975 4 111,812,462 115,199,110 3.8 441
A034818  5 16,961,453 20,302,678 3.7 440
A258374  1 29,722,553 31,203,860 3 371
A258374  2 131,733,848 134,110,924 3.3 302
A258374  17 55,826,114 59,522,241 3.5 336
A258374  21 16,784,706 18,381,801 3.1 304
A386436  1 37,022,310 38,738,105 3.5 301
A386436  9 82,750,377 85,391,790 3.3 428
A531526  1 29,722,553 31,203,860 3 377
A680750  1 29,722,553 31,203,860 3 396
A680750  9 82,750,377 85,391,790 3.3 429
A680750  17 55,826,114 59,522,241 3.5 333

Best regards,
Matthew
Matthew Peter Schmidt (Gedmatch A417896)

Hello Cousin Mathew! You match very well with my mother and her siblings, all savoies!

Joe

Hi all! Very intriguing discussion as to the parentage of François Savoie. I did take a DNA test on Ancestry awhile ago, but I haven’t converted it to exact gedmatches and autosomal comparisons. For me, it’s just ethnicity percentages. It states multiple French-Canadian migration patterns, but doesn’t list any French ethnicity percentages, and I suspect that it got grouped in with my English DNA of 19%. Anyways, I’m also a direct descendant of François’. One of his daughters with Catherine LeJeune was a woman named Jeanne (Savoie) Pellerin. My grandmother’s maiden name was Pelerine, so I have a documented paper trail all the way from me to François and Catherine, but not farther than that. I have held off on adding François’ suspected Italian parents because I want to be quite sure they are correct. And I just want to clarify: are we thinking that François was an actual son of Tomasso? Or that Tomasso took him in and raised him as an illegitimate son who had unknown parents? Oh and P.S., I have also heard of the Bourg’s being from the House of Bourbon (as I am directly related to them also), but I took the Bourbon’s off my tree because I thought it lacked evidence, and others seemed to think so as well. Thanks for any help, and I’m glad to have met all you cousins!

hello Cousin Jonah! I don't think the "adaption theory" is necessary nor does it fit the DNA evidence. Francois Joseph Savoie is the biological son of Tomasso. It's the only conclusion supported by the evidence. What is unknown is who is his mother?

Showing 151-180 of 2234 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion