Need help fixing Colonial American trees? Post it here!

Started by Erica Howton on Sunday, September 2, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 151-180 of 8657 posts

Roland Henry Baker, III Penns are locked down.

Thanks!

Regarding Rev. John Allin of Dedham who arrived 1637 and his sister Elizabeth (Allin) Fisher (Wife of Thomas Fisher of Dedham), Robert Charles Anderson says they were from Saxlingham-Juxta-Mare, Norfolk, England not Colby Norfolk. John the immigrant was conflated with John Allin of Colby, Norfolk son of Reginald Allen. This John Allin of Dedham, MA was not son of Reginald Allin of Colby, Norfolk, and was not minister at St. Mary Quay, Ipswich, Suffolk. His parents are not known. John Allen of Dedham married 10 Oct 1622 at Wrentham, Suffolk Margaret Morse before immigration. He was brother to Elizabeth (Allin) Fisher but just not identical to the son of Reginald Allen. This is bound to upset a few descendants.

Rev. John Allin, M.A.

Oh God more Allen mixups ...

Roland Henry Baker, III Winslow cleanup done

Thank you. My 9th great uncle. His wife was the sister of Frances Deighton Williams of Taunton, MA, wife of Richard Williams.

My mother was a Williams.

The following appears to have been a bad merge conflating two different John Bailey's (different parents, different wife, different siblings, children, etc.):

https://www.geni.com/merge/view?revision_id=72890430860

Many Thanks!

:)

Private User Fixed but please check.

Erica Howton

Thank you, it is greatly appreciated!

:)

I’d like to request a little help in proving that Mary Ann Acock Shaw m Russell D Shaw of Fluvanna and b. approximately 1807 is the daughter of Anna Delano, Thomas Acocks first wife, who died in 1813. I have probate records that name Mary Ann Shaw as a deceased daughter at Thomas’ death in 1858 in Hancock MA, but I can’t find any birth records that establish with certainty that Mary Ann’s mother was Anna Delano. Thomas also married a second wife Nancy Gorton of Hancock, who survived him.

Anybody able to help me with primary sources establishing Mary Ann as a daughter of Anna Delano Acock?

Private User

Can you tag the Geni profiles to the discussion?

Anna Delano Acock

I can’t seem to be able to copy the others

Thomas Acocks husband
Thomas Acocks

Mary Ann Acocks Shaw presumed daughter of first wife Anna Delano Acocks

Mary Ann Shaw

Last note is that the volunteer curator digs up roots web as his only source and these sources have errors which I can see just by doing a little digging myself

I have probate records for Thomas Acock d 1858 of Hancock MA listing a living wife “Nancy”, and deceased daughters Mary Ann Shaw, Sarah Hazard, and Emily Parker. What I can’t seem to find us definite proof that Mary Ann was the daughter of Anna Delano - just a lot of circumstantial evidence coming from unsourced family histories, family trees, SAR record etc. These are suspect sources I am told

Philip Delonao of the "Fortune" 1621 compiles by Muriel Curtis Cushing Part two (Family Numbers 368-499) published by the General Society of Mayflower Descendants 2011 p 259-260 states that Anna Delano b 22 Feb 1782; d. Hancock, MA 14 Dec 1813 m after 14 Sep 1806 Thomas Acock, And that he prob married second in Hacock Nancy Gorton b 16 Sep 1779 d Hancock 30 Jan 1860. They mention guardianship papers for sons William and Thomas and note there are no known descendants of Nancy Gorton. That being the case given the calculated birth date of Mary Ann Acock of 1807 if she is the daughter of Thomas Alcock she would have to be the daughter of his first wife who didn't die until 14 Dec 1813 a full six years after Many was born. She could not possibly be the daughter of Nancy Gorton who he married after the death of his first wife.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/11013260

Calculated birth based on age at death is usually accepted in cases like this as long as it isn't too close to "the line." and this isn't even close. So there you are good.

I haven't looked at these probate records but the question becomes do you have evidence that the "Mary Ann Shaw" mentioned in this will is the wife of Russell Shaw? If you do you are going to nail this and if you don't you need additional lines of evidence.

William (C) Richards

William Richards, of Pitminster

Should have NN parents locked from the top. His wife Emmota (maiden name unknown) widow of William Segar. The birth dates probably closer to 1510 given that she was already a widow by the time she married William Richards in 1532. This is a Mayflower Line (Bradford) so I think sticking with proven is warranted. Added the following notes:

As far as we have evidence we know that William Richards who was buried 21 Sep 1565 Pitminster, will proved 1565 Taunton, Somerset is the first know of Richards line. His parents are unknown. He married 1532/3 Pitminster, Somerset, England to Emmota (___) widow of William Segar. Since she was already a widow I presume they were born about 1510. They had two known children William and James. The evidence that this William was father of James was found in Taunton Deane manor records. The identification was cited as correct in NEHGR 132:96. Please don't add parents or mix with the Whales families unless you have evidence to support this and cite it here. No known connection has been seen or published.

== Children ==

# William Richards buried Pitminster 13 May 1601 married Joanne Thorne 15 Jan 1573, she was no doubt related to Hugh Thorne of Pitminster (d. 1616) whose daughter, Agnis married William Blake (planter of Dorchester, MA) 27 Sep 1617 Pitminster.
# James Richards married Alice Blake 2 Oct 1569 in Over Stowey, Somerset, daughter of John Blake, the elder. His will proved 1607/8, Taunton. He was buried 19 Jan 1607/8 Pitminster. The Blake ancestry was also published in this volume but in more detail in NEHGR 132:96.

==Sources ==
# Burton Spear, Thomas Richards in Search for Passengers of the Mary & John (Toledo, Ohio, 1985-99) 25:55-56 (Proof) Pedigree in 17:127-130; confirmed in NEHGR 132:96

Gratias tibi!

And please, I am not looking for more circumstantial evidence from rootsweb! I am looking for evidence that will pass genealogical research rigor

Roland - thanks, I will go with what I have then.

Roland Henry Baker, III
Philip Delonao of the "Fortune" 1621 compiles by Muriel Curtis Cushing Part two (Family Numbers 368-499) published by the General Society of Mayflower Descendants 2011 p 259-260 states that Anna Delano b 22 Feb 1782; d. Hancock, MA 14 Dec 1813 m after 14 Sep 1806 Thomas Acock, And that he prob married second in Hacock Nancy Gorton b 16 Sep 1779 d Hancock 30 Jan 1860. They mention guardianship papers for sons William and Thomas and note there are no known descenda...

Can’t read the rest of post?

Private User''

The rootsweb sources provided genelogical research.

ID: I05332
Name: Mary Ann Acocks 1 2 3
Sex: F
ALIA: Mary Ann /Acox/
Birth: 15 JUL 1807 1
Death: 23 AUG 1846 in Fluvanna, Chautauqua County, NY 1 4
Burial: Fluvanna Cemetery,(in back of Fluvanna Free Church, Ellicott Township) Fluvanna, NY 5

Father: Thomas Acocks b: 1785
Mother: Anna Delano

Marriage 1 Russel Deland Shaw b: 17 MAR 1807 in Albany, NY
Married: 24 JUN 1827 in Rensselaer County, NY 1 2 3
Children
Has Children Emily Ann Shaw b: 12 MAY 1828 in Log cabin in Ellicott, NY
Has Children Thomas Acox Shaw b: 5 DEC 1829 in Jamestown, Chautauqua, NY
Has No Children John Daniel Shaw b: 10 MAR 1832 in Fluvanna, Chautauqua Co., NY
Has Children Ann Shaw b: 19 NOV 1833 in Fluvanna, Chautauqua Co., NY
Has Children Catherine Sabrina Shaw b: 25 NOV 1835 in Fluvanna, Chautauqua Co., NY
Has Children Charles Bingley Shaw b: 26 MAR 1838 in Fluvanna, Chautauqua Co., NY
Has No Children Jason Hazzard Shaw b: 21 MAR 1840 in Fluvanna, Chautauqua County, NY
Has No Children Warner B. Shaw b: 10 APR 1842 in Fluvanna, Chautauqua Co., NY
Has No Children Ernest Shaw b: 2 JAN 1845

Sources:
Title: Application of Corisande D. Shaw Morgan to the DAR
Title: Descendants of Minor D. Shaw
Author: Ron Mlejnek
Publication: E-mail 12/23/2001
Repository:
Media: Electronic
Title: Genealogical and family history of western New York
Author: William Richard Cutter
Publication: Lewis Historical Publishing Co., New York 1912
Repository:
Note: www.heritagequestonline.com
Media: Book
Page: Page 45
Title: Fluvanna Cemetery, Fluvanna, NY: Located behind the old Fluvanna Church, on the curve, on Route 430, Town of Ellicott, Fluvanna, Chautauqua County,NY
Author: Compiled and digitized by Dolores Davidson, 2001
Note: Data from many sources, including the old records of Minnie Cohen transcribed in1932 and from the Enchanted Mountains Genealogy Cemetery site, compiled by EMGS Member James J. Emborsky with permission of the President, Mary Bryant, in a shared database old obits and bios newspaper clippings etc. and current obituaries and the records of Loraine Smith, and by family data; and all data corrected and edited by Loraine Smith, Town of Ellery Historian; according to her records.
Repository:
Note: http://www.rootsweb.com/~nychauta/CEMETERY/Fluvanna7.htm
Title: Fluvanna Cemetery, Fluvanna, NY: Located behind the old Fluvanna Church, on the curve, on Route 430, Town of Ellicott, Fluvanna, Chautauqua County,NY
Author: Compiled and digitized by Dolores Davidson, 2001
Note: Data from many sources, including the old records of Minnie Cohen transcribed in1932 and from the Enchanted Mountains Genealogy Cemetery site, compiled by EMGS Member James J. Emborsky with permission of the President, Mary Bryant, in a shared database old obits and bios newspaper clippings etc. and current obituaries and the records of Loraine Smith, and by family data; and all data corrected and edited by Loraine Smith, Town of Ellery Historian; according to her records.
Repository:
Note: http://www.rootsweb.com/~nychauta/CEMETERY/Fluvanna7.htm
Text: Shaw, Mary Ann b. d. 23 Aug 1846 age 39 wife
Title: The early history of Fluvanna, Chautauqua County, N.Y. : with numerous biographical and family sketches
Author: Hetty J. Sherwin, Mary A. Griffith
Publication: 1926
Repository:
Note: www.heritagequestonline.com
Media: Book
Page: Page 28

Anne - not sure why the post is not visible - may be a device issue or browser issue. I'll send the same content via a message.

Erica can we please lock NN Nichols as father of John Nichols
NN Nichols
Thanks!

Roland Henry Baker, III Done.

We have a Channel Islands project if you’re interested in pursuing.

William Tuttle has 2 wives that are similar. Also, one of the children has been duplicated - Jonathan Tuttle is the original profile.

Showing 151-180 of 8657 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion