Need help fixing Colonial American trees? Post it here!

Started by Erica Howton on Sunday, September 2, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 61-90 of 8645 posts

Erica Howton thanks for the help.

Mary Tuttle is missing more kids, if the list in her "About" is correct.

More Tuttle fixing - Lydia Sperry is not the daughter of Caleb Tuttle & Mary (Hotchkiss) Tuttle. She is not in the list of 12 kids for Caleb (10 with Mary & 2 with Hannah).

Deacon Richard Butler has 2 full sets of parents.
Because of locked fields, I can't merge them.

Thanks for checking on accuracy, Emily Kent Marget. I removed Caleb & Mary as parents of "mrs." Lydia Sperry (any idea who her actual parents were?).

Deacon Richard's parents are resolved.

Dan Cornett - Thanks for the fixes.

Dowling does not track Jacob Sperry although he does track his brother, Amos. I ran a Google search and have not yet found parents for Lydia Tuttle. None of the usual reliable sources have anything about her parents. WeRelate has her mother has Sarah Tuttle citing Jacobus. No father cited by Jacobus either in the entry for her christening or her death.

Hi! May I request a curator disconnect the parents and a few locked children for Phineas Pratt and Mary Priest:

Phineas Pratt

Children he did *not* have which are locked onto him (and his wife Mary Priest) that need to be disconnected include:

Joanna Pratt

Abraham Pratt

Joshua Pratt

Hannah Pratt

Also his origins and parents are still unknown. Can we removed his parents and lock on some NN parents?

Sources:

Townsend, Wakefield and Stoner, Mayflower Families Through Five Generations Descendants of the Pilgrims Who Landed in Plymouth Massachusetts December 1620 Volume 8 Degory Priest 2nd ed. (GSMD 2008) 5-6

The American Genealogist 74:122-27

Phineas Pratt sketch, in Anderson, Robert Charles. The Great Migration Begins: Immigrants to New England, 1620-1633. (Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1995), Vol.3, pg.1514-1518

Phineas Pratt sketch, in Robert Charles Anderson, The Pilgrim Migration: Immigrants to Plymouth Colony, 1620-1633 (Boston 2004) 371+

The Great Migration Directory (2015)

Using the same sources above Dregory Priest had only two child: Mary and Sarah. He had no son James. Can we unlock James and remove him as a child please:

James Priest

Townsend, Wakefield and Stoner, Mayflower Families Through Five Generations Descendants of the Pilgrims Who Landed in Plymouth Massachusetts December 1620 Volume 8 Degory Priest 2nd ed. (GSMD 2008)

Robert Charles Anderson, The Pilgrim Migration: Immigrants to Plymouth Colony, 1620-1633 (Boston 2004) 382+

In the same Mayflower Family For Sarah Priest and John Combs I removed several children that didn't belong. They only had two children John and Francis. Can we lock the relationships on Sarah Priest and John Combs so they don't reappear?

Sarah Coombs

Thanks in advance!

I fixed the relationships for Mayflower Descendant John Combs. Perhaps we should lock them while they are correct:

John Coombs, II, of Plymouth

Sources

Townsend, Wakefield and Stoner, Mayflower Families Through Five Generations Descendants of the Pilgrims Who Landed in Plymouth Massachusetts December 1620 Volume 8 Degory Priest 2nd ed. (GSMD 2008) 18

Barclay, John E. and Barclay, Rachel E. Barlow, Coombs and Warren of Boston. The American Genealogist 46:129

Also if we could lock relationships of:

Francis Coombs

I fixed his relationships based on:

Townsend, Wakefield and Stoner, Mayflower Families Through Five Generations Descendants of the Pilgrims Who Landed in Plymouth Massachusetts December 1620 Volume 8 Degory Priest 2nd ed. (GSMD 2008) 6-7, 19-20, 54+

MD 24:135 Will of John Morton

Gen Adv 4:31

Great Migration begins 478

Thanks!

That should clean up the first few generations of Degory Priest of the Mayflower.

John Harrell White

Has two sets of parents...not sure which ones are correct.

Mary,

It looks like this John Madison White 1744-1808 and Sarah Gimbill where having children when Sarah was 73 if here age on FindAGrave is correct and Ezekiel Polk White was actually a son (given his father died in 1808 10 years before his birth). Even if he was not a son the next younger son James Madison White would have been born when she was 64. I'm guessing this family group is more legend than evidence based. As shown Sara was having children for 52 years. Even if she got an early start at 14 say that would still put her at 66 when she had her last child. Possibly he had more than one wife but I'd bet there are several different unrelated White families mixed up here.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/66867083/john-white

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/66870006/sarah-white

I found this when I went looking for John Madison White. https://www.ancestry.com/boards/surnames.lee/839.2505.1/mb.ashx The person who posted brought up the same issue you found. I wonder if anyone ever found any actual facts concerning this family. I am reluctant to change anything without facts. I do hate leaving people with two sets of parents...

Roland Henry Baker, III Pratt, Priest & Coombs cleaned up & relationships locked.

Thank you very much for this effort.

Private User I unmerged & re merged.

Disconnected as children of Sarah Davenport White & John Harrell White , born after his death in 1807:

Ezekiel Polk White

James Madison White

Usually when there are people having children at age 75 it means somebody dropped a generation or two. The typical way that happens is when father and son have the same name. Is that possible in this case?

John Coombs, II, of Plymouth is your 10th great grandfather.
You
→ Geneive Melba Emerson
your mother → Ossie Mae Pratt
her mother → George W Pratt
her father → Nancy Jane Pratt
his mother → William Sampson Huddleston
her father → Malinda Huddleston
his mother → Margaret Baty
her mother → Margaret Hazel
her mother → Eleanor Ashley (Miller)
her mother → Mary Miller
her mother → John Coombs, III
her father → John Coombs, II, of Plymouth
his father
I descend from Degory through his daughter Sarah and then her son. However, the cousin mode kicks in so it is difficult to see the connection ABOVE what I have displayed here. Thank you for curating and locking these profiles. I became a bit nervous when I noticed all the disconnections. lol

One would think a Town Founder with many Descendants would have a bigger tree on Geni ...

James Madison White

Giles County TN is my neck of woods. Records are really poor at the War of 1812 generation. Also, this is “lost state of Franklin” territory.

https://www.visitmysmokies.com/blog/smoky-mountains/the-lost-state-...

(One of my favorite incidents in American history - not getting satisfaction ? Start your own dang country !)

Now I do see another death date for John Harrell White at https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/4:1:LJ5L-K5N

Marriage:
Spouse: Mary Davis
Feb 19 1798
Fauquier, Virginia
Marriage:
Spouse: Sarah Gamble
Circa 1808
South Carolina, United States
Death:
Sep 23 1815
Giles, Tennessee, United States

However that seems a mixup with another https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/134401608/john-white who is in the right place - Giles County - at the right time ...

No son James Madison White Listed at FindAGrave but maybe someone can dig in.

Erica Howton I think you cracked the case on the White family of Giles! Kudos!

Erica Howton I would like to request that you be curator for the profile of Robert Charles Anderson, FASG:

Robert Charles Anderson, FASG

Turns out he is my 8th cousin via Mayflower Descendant Obadiah Wheeler of Concord and Sudbury. Who knew?

Thank you Erica Howton for once again cleaning up the mess! Huzzah!

Private User If you want to enter these possible parents I’ll dig in after, I’m now curious. Plus I have Gibson’s, so there’s a good chance it could tie in.

Roland Henry Baker, III MP done, wow, that’s beautiful ! Sadly I’m showing as 16th.

Also calling on Diana Collins for building more in this White / Gibson family.

Hello: My name is Allyn Pratt and I am looking for information on Macuth Pratt (1595-1672). Current research shows that Macuth arrived in Mass. in 1623 (Lord Gorge's group, settled near the same location as the Weston Company had occupied) near what is now Weymouth, Mass. However, data from the church parish records show that his children were being baptized and recorded in the parish records (Aston Clinton, Buckinghamshire, England) until 1637. His wife is Elizabeth Bates Pratt (born Kingham), 1600-1679, married Nov. 9, 1619, Aston Clinton, Buckinghamshire, England, is recorded as having accompanied Macuth in 1623. The youngest son, Joseph (1637 to 1720) (my ancestor?) is not recorded in the parish records but is recorded in the vital records for Weymouth, Mass.

I am requesting help in gathering information to determine, 1) is the Macuth Pratt that came to Mass. in 1632 the same Macuth Pratt from Aston Clinton?, 2) if so, then why are the church parish records recording children of Macuth and Elizabeth? Assuming Macuth and Elizabeth did not travel back and forth from Mass. to England to Mass.? 3) Who are Macuth's parents? and are Macuth Pratt and Phineas Pratt related? Phineas arrived in Mass. in 1622 on the good ship Sparrow. Although his Group were not successful he stayed and joined the Plymouth Colony and married Mary Priest (from several colonial records).

Any information is most appreciated. Best Regards, Allyn Pratt.

Well....I added a source for James Madison White (a book). Says parents were John White and Sarah "Gamble". Also says they were natives of South Carolina....if that helps any.

Oh, also says his father John died in 1819.

Diana Collins Dates & locations don’t work for Sarah Gamble to have a child at such an older age ... but now we see where the claim comes from!

Showing 61-90 of 8645 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion