Need help fixing Colonial American trees? Post it here!

Started by Erica Howton on Sunday, September 2, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 7981-8010 of 8899 posts

Honour Brookshire still needs fixed

also, Private User needs disconnected for 1600's parents.

Emily Kent Marget
I get this red message:
Error
You don't have permission to view this page

{might be someone already unmerged it and is no long available to view?}

Merge I am about to revert Is Private User & a man called Jacobus Dilbeck at merge time in 2016

https://www.geni.com/merge/view?revision_id=68788976240

The sisters are back to being different people and are all MP’d.

Mary Morphew Married James Morphew

Honour Brookshire Married William Brookshire

Sarah Rebecca Wilson Married Samuel Wilson, Jr.

Children are listed in the profile for their mother Mary “Polly” Burk

CHILDREN OF JAMES & MARY

1. Mary 1732 x (m) _____ Morphew
2. Sarah Rebecca 1734 x 1783 (m) _____ Wilson
3. James 1735 x 1783
4. Benjamin 1736 x
5. John 1738 Virginia x 1782 Virginia (married) Mary Kendrick
6. Joseph 1745 x 1785
7. Naomi 1746 x 1805 (m) Samuel Pepper
8. Honura
9. Thomas 1748

<3

Hi - please have a look at Margaret Harper .

She has two different John Harper husbands. Her main husband has two different, overlapping, families. And to make life worse, her mother ALSO has the same problem: two different husbands of the same name.

Web trees seem to mush these all together but I'm pretty sure that's not right ;-)

Karl David Wright

Re merging got it mostly straightened out.

Debbie Gambrell Made notes, maybe she would be kind enough to review the tree around Margaret Harper & John Harper, Sr.

There are Asa Harper sons who don’t match.

Asa Harper looks to have the correct parents.

Detaching Asa Harper, Sr from parents.

Thanks. Wasn't clear that that was the right thing to do, so glad I didn't have to decide ;-) *crosses fingers*

Karl David Wright it seems the reason for the duplicate spouses was due to merges you made a few days ago. ?

Seems Erica Howton has gotten it all sorted out.

This link provides info on the children of Margaret Morrow and John Harper.

https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/collections/48295/images/TNBib...

I've made a screenshot of that page and will attach it to their Margaret and John's profiles.

I don't know of any documentation for the middle name Henry for Margaret's husband John Morrow.

Margaret's Find-a-Grave page has a more complete list of their children than the current profile notes that don't show a son named Asa:

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/141602882/margaret-harper

John Harper and Margaret Morrow were the parents of the following children.

1. Rebecca Harper, b. 16 May 1773.
2. William Harper, b. 1 January 1775.
3. Hugh Harper, b. 22 September 1776.
4. John Harper, b. 25 February 1779.
5. Anna Harper, b. 8 September 1781.
6. Andrew Harper, b. 3 October 1784.
7. James Harper, b. 6 June 1786.
8. Elizabeth Harper, b. 25 March 1788.
9. Asa Harper, b. 4 August 1790.
10. Enos Harper, b. 2 July 1793.
11. Jesse Harper, b. 1 December 1795.
12. Margaret Harper, b. 29 November 1799.

- - -

Regarding John Harper, I have never seen proof that John is a Knox descendant via his mother. I have posted about this before and it has remained intact, which is always a stumbling block to me when I'm tracing a pathway that goes via the Knox connections...because I'm not convinced those connections are correct. For example, John's Find-a-Grave page state that his parents are unknown:

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/141602829/john-harper

John Harper's birth year, origins and parentage are uncertain, but he was most probably a son (if not a younger brother or a nephew) of William Harper, Sr., who was last of record on 7 October 1789 in the former Chatham District of Orange County, North Carolina (present-day northwest Alamance County near the Guilford County line, just southeast of Altamahaw).

- - -

The excerpt above indicates it's not certain whether William Harper was his father or his uncle, which does indicate John was from that particular famliy, but it makes a difference as to who his mother might have been. In my Ancestry tree, I have his mother as Margaret (Unknown), since I've never seen proof of the Knox connection. Some Ancestry trees have his mother just as Margaret, as I do, some have no parents connected to him at all, but most seem to copy what is on Geni without any proof for the connections.

The Knox connection got made because there was a Knox family traveling from Ireland to America on the same ship John and his wife Margaret came over on. So someone at some point seems to have decided those must have been Margaret's parents. That is a very speculative leap just because folks left Ireland on the same ship based on this:

"A Knox family is also on board and seems to be related to the Harpers. The Knox family includes John Knox, age 50 (250 acres); Elizabeth Knox age 40; Hugh Knox age 10; Sarah Knox, age 17 (100 acres); James Knox, age 16 (100 acres); William Knox, age 50 (aka the Rev.) (100 acres); another William Knox, age 24 (100 acres)"

- --

'seems to be related to the Harpers' does not prove they were Margaret's parents. It speculates about a connection to the Harpers with no insight as to 'how'. They may not have been blood-related to Margaret at all. One could infer that they were related to the Harper family itself. But 'seems' is not proof of anything. I would think if the Knox family on the ship had been Margaret's parents and other relatives, that distinction would have been noted back then instead it refers to 'a Knox family', not even mentioning a connection to Margaret in any way.

If someone has actually proof of who John's mother's parents and family connections were, I would love to finally see that so I'd know one way or another whether the whole Knox connections is my actual blood lineage or not.

Hi Debbie,
No, I didn't start the merging a couple of days ago. I just tried to complete it and ran into problems.

Karl, I was going by this, which I see now has a line struck thru it:

John Henry Newon Harper was merged into John Henry Harper, Sr. by Karl David Wright.
Nov 15 at 1:52 AM ·

Erica, thank you SO much for making those changes. I have felt those changes needed to have been made for so long. You have no idea how much having all speculative connections removed is going to improve the pathways for those truly connected to this family! Sending you a cyber hug for your help on this!

And maybe having these changes on Geni will cause folks to make the same changes in their trees on other sites so the speculations are perpetuated.

Debbie Gambrell - be sure and ask curators for connections / disconnects if you can’t do them, and to make MPs with locks. This discussion “ Need help fixing Colonial American trees? Post it here!” https://www.geni.com/discussions/185827?msg=1668814 Is a good way to call attention. Or the more tech oriented “fix it”, https://www.geni.com/discussions/272643?msg=1667063

Richard Cole, Sr is a DAR patriot with many notes on his profile which lead me to believe he has been conflated in the past and there is Y DNA that can help to cement who he is.
I have been working in the area and did not want to log off without asking for some help/extra eyes---
I can revisit but will not be immediately

Need help with conflicting last name: Jemima Purington

Private User - Welcome to Colonial American spelling!
Colonial town clerks and ministers are notorious for their spelling differences, even from father to child. In the town of Andover, Mass., I've seen the following spellings of "Farnham": Farnham, Farnum and Farnaum among others. In the town of Rowley, Mass., the spelling of "Keyser" has been posted as KEZER (Keies, Kesar, Keyser, Kezar). (This was taken from the now-defunct online digitization of the compilation of town records. The "tan books" (so-called because they are bound in tan bindings) are compilations of the town records from earliest times to 1849.)
Short version - Don't worry about it.

I found this in a random tree I was working on. The parents seems to be the same, but their parents again differ. I don't feel competent to sort out this tree. Children/siblings mostly seems to match but some dates are off.
John Gregory

Cynthia Curtis, A183502, US7875087 I'm working in that area as it intertwined with my lines. Some lines need expanded around it as it's intermarrying between those lines. I have some sources to add and will expand around those lines. I'm pretty sure of the father but want to fix a few things first. His son John inherited the Family Bible. There's Enslaved in those lines as well. This line is attached to a few other lines I'm working on. I'll add a few things of his and some Lindsay information tonight.

Karianne Fog Heen - the variant looks like a Gedcom upload. I’m merging & will try to wink out the discrepancies.

Cynthia Curtis, A183502, US7875087

Just an FYI update. I found a few Pedigree Collapses and missing line. My direct line to the Cowles (Coles). They're missing on here. They married into the Hart line twice. The daughters married a Lindsay for the fourth generation(Aunt) and for Richard's daughter(my uncle's direct line,down the line). His direct Paternal line is missing and his father listed is wrong. So his whole line needs to be added with evidence.

This gives six Lindsay line as direct Grandparents and their offspring married my other lines on my father's side and another Stanley line through one of the daughters, as this puts it at 7 lines of direct line through the Stanley siblings in Colonial America. Another Martin line as well! Seems the Martin, Lindsay, Stanley line favored each other.

The evidence will show the correct connection,lines and areas as well as marriage between families to prove Richard's parents once added. I did add some sources to Richard and his will talks about the Lindsay line as well as his daughter marrying a Lindsay. They'll go on and marry into that line again too.
I'm still working on the lines next to the Kirby and Wingler/ Winkler, Boon(e), Renfro(Rentrfro) and Findley (Finley). They're related to these lines and messed up. Also, add in the Enslaved under these Surnames as well as they're missing. It will take some time but feel free to message me.

Edmund Browder, Sr. married both or else I made a bad merge:
Lysbeth Browder
Elizabeth Browder

Cynthia Curtis, A183502, US7875087

Elizabeth Browder leads to President Obama's mothers side line. That will lead you to correct lines and years of birth.

These profiles below are a few African American lines tied in with other lines if you want to work on or expand. I know you've seen the work done generations up and below for John C Stanley for the Green/ Stanly line. I've been expanding, fixing and adding documents to some or resources. Giving you that long explanation before without links makes no sense,so hopefully these help. I'll merge and link more today and add sources for the Cole lines.

Thomas H Lindsay

Sydney Carter Finley, Sr

John Carruthers Stanly

Elizabeth "Lizzie" Reddig-Ransom

John Thomas Cole

Ninian Lindsay

Captain Nehemiah Marks, Sr

John Cowles

Jehilah "Hila" Thorpe managed by Private User and Private User
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/121986342/jehilah-thorp
dau. of James & Elizabeth (Clinton) Bishop.
md. New Haven, Ct., 2 Mar. 1757 David Thorp

I merged: https://www.geni.com/merge/view?revision_id=84926486090
Daughter of Elizabeth Bishop (Clinton) vs
Daughter of James Bishop and Elizabeth Bishop (Perkins)

The dates for the two Elizabeths are EXACTLY the same and each is married to a James Bishop so I am thinking the two men have been conflated/mismerged.
There are THOUSANDS of trees at Ancestry for them.
They are fixable but likely NOT without help of a curator
There are two daughters named Abigail attached and the one marrying Sperry appears to be daughter of Bishop and Clinton.
I will work from bottom but need help at this top of the tree level, please.
TIA

See also: James Bishop, of Farmington

Christened Feb. 17, 1699/1700

Wife #1 Elizabeth Perkins

Wife #2 Hannah m. Aft 22 May 1760

Wife #3 Mary Wheadon Moulthrop

m. 23 Feb 1774
North Haven, New Haven, Connecticut, United States
Congregational Society

""James (Bishop), b 17 Feb 1699 [1699/1700] (New Haven Vital Records), bp 29 Mar 1700 (church record, Primer Congregational Society, New Haven), d 15 July 1780 (church record, Congregational Society, Farmington), æ. 83 (sic) (gravestone, Old graveyard, North Haven); …"NOTE: This sketch, originally published in 1923, misidentified his first wife as Elizabeth, daughter of Lawrence & Mary (Brockett) Clinton. That Elizabeth married this man's first cousin, also named James Bishop."

Cynthia Curtis, A183502, US7875087 - The merge is incorrect.
Note the "description" on each of the James Bishops - one of New Haven, the other of Farmington. Also, the Elizabeths have different parents.

Showing 7981-8010 of 8899 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion