Need help fixing Colonial American trees? Post it here!

Started by Erica Howton on Sunday, September 2, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 7951-7980 of 8657 posts

Private User - Melatiah Higgins has been resolved.

I found a book online that supports the birth date and location on her profile. Her death date comes from Find a Grave as posted on her profile. See also https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Hamlin-200.

Elizabeth Sophia PrIce

Elizabeth Sophia Blackwell (Price)
Birth: 1714
Richmond, Henrico, Virginia, United States
Death: 1790 (75-76)
Rutherford, North Carolina, United States
Immediate Family:
Daughter of Capt. John Price, IV, Catawba Military Confederacy; Captain Daniel Price; Hannah Price (Williamson) and Sarah Price (Brown)
Wife of James Blackwell III
Mother of Capt Robert Blackwell, Sr.; James Blackwell; John Elder Blackwell, Sr. and Mary Dillon (Blackwell)
Sister of James Price, Sr.; Robert Price; Elizabeth Shapard (Price); William Price; Sarah Ann Price and 5 others
Half sister of Mary Ann Price; Sallie Powell (Price); Kalim Price; Daniel William Price, Sr; Thomas Price, Maxton Co Tuscorora; and Jane (Price) Kearsey, Progenitor Lumber River Native Soldiers at Drowning Creek « less

Pam Wilson (on hiatus) is a manager

I merged based on name and spouse https://www.geni.com/merge/view?revision_id=84883045100
but now see the different parents.
one shows as Mother of Capt Robert Blackwell, Sr. and James Blackwell
one shows as Mother of John Elder Blackwell, Sr. and Mary Dillon (Blackwell)

Thank you so much, Emily Kent Marget

Emily Kent Marget thanks. I was in a hurry, because I had to jump on a Zoom meeting and I must have missed it.

Erica Howton I was just reading over Capt. William Daniel, of Middlesex County profile, and at the bottom of the About section you left Dorothy Froth listed as wife

I am sure this is just an oversight

Erica Howton also
"Richard Daniell, b. Abt 1701, Middlesex County, Virginia d. 28 Nov 1746, Middlesex County, Virginia, “sone of William & fochebed Daniell was borne Sept. 30th 1678”. [10]. Named in the Will of William Daniel.[11]"

Capt. William Daniel's will was proved in 1698, he would not have been around to sire Richard in 1701. Middle of the note "borne Sept. 30th 1678”

Charles Randall Hensley - did you want to go ahead and edit the profile & family for Capt. William Daniel, of Middlesex County as need be?

Hi - the children of Elizabeth Mary Collins make no sense, datewise. I found where one came from and moved him (Francis) but the others seemingly have no place to go within the framework of Collins family. This whole part of the tree seems to demonstrate there were multiple Collins families? Anyway, the Collins book may help...

Erica Howton I can but thought that field would have been one locked by the MP designation. I saw where you had worked on it and I am descended from the troublesome James Daniel and wanted to update my personal family tree and copy as many of the sources as possible.

Charles Randall Hensley - fields are separately locked, and I tend not to lock the “about” specifically so more citations and notes can be added by anyone - not to mention typo corrections. :) .

My caution on editing the Dorothy Furth reference and the convoluted Richard Daniel sentence is to annotate rather than edit out, as they are quotes from sources, so should match the original.

I’m thrilled you like the profile. We’re on a hunt for wife Jochabed’s family of origin, and in fact just added nearby Smith family comments.

The problem profile is Joseph Collins . Everything else is sorted.

Joseph's birthdate is set by the marriage to Mary Ewing, who was also pretty bunged up but whose birth date actually seems reasonable given her parents. (Her death date had her dying a year after birth; I think 1706 should have been 1786).

About 50 MyHeritage trees all have her wrong too. I think this was copied from GENI probably.

The husband, Joseph Collins, is therefore born around 1705, which means he's probably not the son of John Collins born 1690 with an exact date given. Either he's a late son of John's father Francis (all locked), or he's the son of another Collins who arrived in New Jersey about the same time Francis did. Anyone know anything about this family at that time period?

I fixed this for now by changing Joseph's date of birth; made it "c. 1710" rather than "1705". This doesn't seem to have caused any problems and it turns out that references I can find give no DOB either, just of date of death. So maybe this is all OK now.

Sketches of the first emigrant settlers in Newton Township, old Gloucester County, West New Jersey / by John Clement. “Francis Collins”

Page 82. https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=loc.ark:/13960/t9f488495&vie...

John Collins Married Ruth Borradale

Source doesn’t really extend much beyond the sketch of the immigrant, sorry.

Erica Howton Quoting sources is a good reason for me not to jump in with corrections. I have not had time to study all the sources you have added (real life, still working on the New Netherlands sources I have, and trying to break 2 brick walls on my Hensley line.)

Oof, how’s your Dutch? No worries, I’m clear on what needs to happen, and will annotate now before I forget what the issue is.

Re: John Collins: I've done what I can; basically the death date of John's first wife is known, and the family attributed to John's third wife is also known, so the Kemble marriage would have to have been childless and in the middle.

This means that Joseph, if he's really a son of John, would have to have come from the first marriage. We don't have a good date for that so it is plausible, but it implies we're missing children from that marriage, and also it means that Joseph was born no earlier than around 1708. Which is OK, I guess. Maybe there was even an earlier marriage; that would be the other possibility given the data.

Erica Howton Annotated, that was a word I was trying to remember. A concept I need to use more.

My Dutch, not good. Learning name spellings in Dutch, Belgian, French, and English is key to decipher the baptism (50,000+) and marriage (10,000+) records as the layout is self explanatory. Wills and court papers require Google Translate and soon another translation program. A good portion is tracking families as they move across New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania.

I was lucky I had some personal tutoring on Dutch names from Geni members, but I’m still quite basic about on it. The number of spelling variations and nicknames are astonishing.

Honour Brookshire

curator Private User

Honour Mary Sarah Brookshire (Burke) MP
Birth: 1733
Rowan County, North Carolina, United States
Death: November 1782 (48-49)
Randolph County, North Carolina, United States
Immediate Family:
Daughter of James Burk, Sr. and Mary “Polly” Burk (Bane)
Wife of William Brookshire; James Morphew and Samuel Wilson, Jr.
Mother of Mary Brookshire; Jesse Benjamin Brookshire, Sr.; William F. Brookshire; Jemima Brookshire; James Brookshire and 16 others
Sister of John Burk, Sr.; Benjamin Burke; Sarah Rebecca Wilson (Burk); Joseph Burk, Jr.; Naomi Pepper (Burk); and Thomas Burke

Re: Dutch: I had laughable results with Swedish not too long ago. I read all about the naming system and dutifully built a tree and then was told "NO POSSIBLE WAY". Haven't tried again. ;-)

We do try! :). We are fortunate on geni to have European members willing and able to correct our gaffes.

Cynthia Curtis, A183502, US7875087 - can you say what the issue is with Honour Brookshire

Thank you, Erica Howton! Sorry! She has three husbands and 21 children
Her About says "William Brookshire married Honour in 1750. We believe they had ten children together." and links to FaG where the statement originated.

I do not know any source.

This merge added a husband and children: https://www.geni.com/merge/view?revision_id=78560544800

NC vs PA

@cynthia (hicks) curtis
I looked at that merge. The profiles were created by the same person at the same time, so they were probably sisters given the slightly different birth and death dates, and Honour probably didn't have middle names "Mary Sarah". Hard to tell without researching the specific family.

Many of the Quakers who went to North Carolina came from Pennsylvania. Both Chester County PA and Ashe County, NC had Quaker settlements. Some families went back and forth through their lives.

https://www.geni.com/merge/view?revision_id=78560544800

Dean Richard Hobart makes sense.
So that merge does need undone and I'm not sure what else--- If the FaG is correct, she has but one husband and maybe ten children
Working in a different area today

I ran into this woman who should probably be MP'd to avoid confusion with another Mary Woodbury b. 1697 d. 1778
Mary Herrick
I put a link to the wikitree in the profile.

She was merged with this other one who was married to Moses Bray. (I created a new one for above and then sorted the families). but it will most likely happen again.
Mary Bray

Dean Richard Hobart - Mary Herrick is mastered but not locked.

Showing 7951-7980 of 8657 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion