Brun I, count of Brunswick - Brun I's ancestry

Started by Private User on Saturday, August 18, 2018
Showing all 3 posts
Private User
8/18/2018 at 6:03 AM

According to MedLands, Brun I, count of Brunswick was a son of Ekbert Billung - both profiles are MP'd, so probably there was an earlier connection. The profiles are locked, and I wouldn't like to make a change here, as I'm not certain that's true. But perhaps something needs to be changed, as Brun is currently linked to his mother (?) only.

3. [EKBERT [I] "der Einäugige" ([930/35]-4 Apr 994). No direct proof has been found that Ekbert [I] was the son of Wichmann [II] but the chronology is favorable. However, it is clear that he was the brother of Wichmann [III], as Thietmar refers to "Counts Wichmann and Ekbert…brothers" instigating the Slavs to war[282]. His birth date range is estimated on the assumption that he was of a similar age to Liudolf, son of Emperor Otto I, when he joined Liudolf's rebellion. Ekbert lost an eye in a battle for which he blamed Emperor Otto I[283]. "Otto…rex" confirmed the immunities of Kloster Essen including over land "excepta in loco Ruoldinghus quam Eggihart et eius coniunx Rikilt" possessed by hereditary right and in land "in comitatu Ecberti et Cobbonis" by charter dated 15 Jan 947[284], although Ekbert [I] would have been rather young at that date for this to be the same person. Thietmar records that "Count Ekbert" joined the rebellion of Liudolf, son of Emperor Otto I[285], dated from other sources to [953/54]. "Otto…imperator augustus" made a donation to St Pantaleon at Köln of property "insule medietatem in Almere que Urch vocatur…quod Gardolfus iam quondam comes…tenuisse…in comitatu Ekberti comitis" by an undated charter, dated to 966[286]. Thietmar records that "Count Ekbert" was tried for complicity in the rebellion of Heinrich Duke of Bavaria and sent into exile[287], dated to 978. In a later passage, the same chronicler records that Count Ekbert was present with Duke Heinrich when the latter kidnapped King Otto III and that subsequently the king's sister Adelheid was held at Ekbert's fortress of Ala[288]. Graf im Hastfalagau. "Otto…rex" donated property "Vvalbisci in comitatu Karoli comitis" to Quedlinburg by charter dated 6 Jan 992, which names as present "Bernhardi ducis, Egberti comitis, Eggihardi marchionis, Herimanni palatini comitis, Huodonis marchionis, Deoderici palatini comitis eiusque fratris Sigeberti comitis, Herimanni comitis"[289], Ekbert's position as second in the list of nobles indicating his importance at the time. The necrology of Fulda records the death in 994 of "Egbertus com"[290]. The necrology of Lüneburg records the death "4 Apr" of "Ekbert com"[291]. m ---. The name of Ekbert's wife is not known.] Ekbert & his wife had [six possible children]. No direct proof has been found that the following are children of Ekbert but this is probable. That Ekbert had surviving sons is shown by the charter of "Otto tercius…Romanorum imperator augustus" dated 23 Jan 1001 which donates property "castellum Dalehem…in pago Hastfala sive Ambargam in comitatu filiorum Ekbrahti comitis et nepotis nostri" to the church of Hildesheim[292]. The relationship of "nepos" to Emperor Otto III would have been a remote one through Ekbert's supposed mother Friderun, who was the sister of Emperor Otto's paternal great-grandmother.

a) [BRUNO ([975/85]-murdered near Niethorp[293] [1010/11][294]). There is no proof that Bruno von Braunschweig was the son of Ekbert "der Einäugige" but this appears probable in view of the names which are common to the two families and also the common references to the Derlingau. He is shown in Europäische Stammtafeln as the brother of Wichmann [IV] Graf im Duffelgau and Ekbert Graf im Derlingau, while another table shows Wichmann [IV] as son of Ekbert "der Einäugige"[295]. His birth date range is estimated from his estimated marriage date. Bruno founded Braunschweig. He was a candidate for the German throne in 1002[296] in opposition to Heinrich IV Duke of Bavaria, who was elected as Heinrich II King of Germany.]
- GRAFEN von BRAUNSCHWEIG.

8/18/2018 at 7:37 AM

I'd go ahead and update to what it should be Sometimes there were two MPs to prevent an erroneous one being merged into a good one. Now we can RL the good one, though. Thanks for your work here.

8/20/2018 at 9:12 AM

Yes, thanks all. Another connection added to my genealogy!

Showing all 3 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion