Need help merging Colonial Americans?

Started by Erica Howton on Saturday, August 11, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 361-390 of 5589 posts

Richard Woodman, the Martyr is a duplicate of Richard Woodman, the Martyr (MP profile)

Thanks in advance.

Emily Kent Marget Done, also updated the MP.

Erica Howton Thanks

Please merge:

Marsha Columbia Foster 1868-1961

Ran across what looked like duplicates for Ananias ‘the Glassblower’ Conkling and Mary Conkling and was merging them all when I was stopped by the gap in death dates for Mary. I see the MP has sources for both death dates. Any resolution to this issue or should I just keep merging everybody?

Keep merging ! Discrepancies in dates are resolved by data conflicts, and data conflicts are resolved by biographical notes in profiles.

I fixed up Mary Conkling for you.

<3 But I'm getting tangled up further down. Lots of profiles popped up like mushrooms.

I noticed. :(. It’s not helping that records are skanty & confusing.

Helena (Eleanor) Conklin is a Westchester, NY Conklin. She needs to be detached from Capt. John Conklin of Southold and Huntington

Here you go - locked relationships for John Conklin , Helena (Eleanor) Conklin & their daughter Catalyntje van Waert

I think I should give the Glassblower brothers unknown parents, unless there’s new news from the Conklin DNA project.

The wikitree genealogy for John contains "In the year 2003, DNA studies were conducted under the auspices of The Center for Molecular Genealogy at Brigham Young University. Descendants of John (I was one) and descendants of Ananias submitted buccal samples that were analyzed. It was proven that we all shared a common paternal ancestor. John and Ananias may have been first cousins but the DNA results, taken with the ancient tradition, in both lines, of their being brothers, almost certainly proves that they were, indeed, brothers." Any reason to disregard this?

I linked Ananias & John as brothers based on that study. There’s a third possible relative, Cornelius, I think.

But the parents are not identified, and the “thinking” is a John or Ananias of ultimately Huguenot extraction as origins - not a William.

Tried to straighten out the Ananias-son-of Benjamin vs. Ananias-son-of-Jeremiah branches. Geni is making life very difficult for me --not allowing me to "View Profile" unless the person is already in my tree and not letting me use the @ shortcut for profiles in discussions. :^[

@R D Parsons,
I have the same problem with bringing up names using the @ sign at times. I have found this esp. frustrating when people use initials -- as you can see, I couldn't bring up your name :-( When I have a full first name, I have found that sometimes when I enter the whole name , it may bring up an option "search more" and it will bring up the link to the person you want. (At least this has worked when I am adding names to a project I am creating.) Good luck.

Private User and Patricia Ann Scoggin

An easy way to attach a name from discussions is to go hover your mouse pointer over the name, right click and choose 'Copy Link Address' come back into the message window, right click and paste

Angus Wood-Salomon, Thanks for the tip. Most of the time I can bring up the link, but some names are a challenge... esp. when I want to invite someone to a project I am creating and they have only initials... (don't use the @ sign then).

What I usually did before using this method was to actually open the person's profile and 'Follow' them, then try the @

Also another method is to open their profile then copy and paste the link in the address bar

Angus Wood-Salomon Thank you for trying to help. I use a Mac and the "right-click" thing doesn't work. I can "control-click," but it doesn't give "copy link address" as an option. I have to open the person's profile page in a new tab. More troublesome, for me, is the Geni default that sends me to a "Sign up for Geni Pro page" whenever I click a person not yet connected to my tree by my "following" him/her. Sometimes this is a person I already have a profile for that needs to be merged. I have spent an incredibly long time figuring out back door ways to view these profiles, and it hampers efficiency!

I have a question regarding John Pickering born about 1615 : In searching something mostly unrelated to this family, I have found that in 1630 a man named John Pickering and his wife Esther came to Salem, Mass with their three children (born before 1630 obviously). He had two sons John, and George, and a daughter Joan. It seems that John married a woman named Elizabeth Alderman ( as per her fathers will). John and Elizabeth had two boys John and Jonathan who are listed in a will of 1657, who are not yet 21 (born in 1637 or after). And, this John Pickering born 1637+ married Alice (Flint)) and had the following listed in his will: sons John, Benjamin, and William and a daughter named Elizabeth, plus two grandchildren John and Hannah Boltolph.
So the question is, why or how does this family link to a Sir Gilbert Pickering as being the father of John Pickering born about 1615? All the circumstantial evidence says his father and mother were John and Esther who came over with the Winthrop fleet in 1630 to Salem, Mass..

Private User - thank you so much for calling attention.

The answer is bad merges, and I’m rebuilding the tree for John Pickering with your notes as a start.

As far as I know the Colonists to Salem have nothing to do with the Sir Gilbert Pickering, MP, 1st Baronet of Titchmarsh family.

Okay, it just was a little strange.

More than strange!

Do you have info on the John & Esther Pickering of the Winthrop Fleet you could add to their profiles? I think I got John & Elizabeth Alderman sorted, but I’m just working from the Pickering genealogy beginning here:

https://books.google.com/books?id=E5ZQAAAAYAAJ&amp;pg=PA18-IA12#v=o...

Private User I found your John Pickeram, of Watertown & Esther Pickeram in the Pickering book. Their son John Pickeram was buried at Watertown in 1639, so he’s not the same person as John Pickering of Salem.

The compiler John Savage thought that Pickeram / Pickram could = Pick / Pickering, and the author agreed, but could find no association.

Surviving son George Pickeram and his mother disappeared from Watertown records in 1652 after selling their property. I’ve seen that in other cases as a return to England.

The association with the Pickering baronets is to be seen in MyHeritage trees.

Needless to say, it is rather unlikely unless way back. But that’s probably how the Geni tree went “strange.”

I’ve locked relationships so it won’t happen again.

The Pickering book is well done: https://books.google.com/books/about/The_Pickering_genealogy.html?i...

If I can, I’ll go into Anderson’s Great Migration Project and see if his team has anything else.

The listing for the Pickering family I got from a ships list https://www.packrat-pro.com/ships/shiplist.htm. It said Pickering. Thank you.

I'm not sure their full source list but this is what they had referenced:
Sources:
The Winthrop Fleet of 1630_: (An Account of the Vesselseake,
Robert Fien English Homes from Original Authorities)
by Charles Edward Banks.

Winthrop webpages:
www.winthropsociety.org
http://members.aol.com/dcurtin1/gene/winthrop.htm
http://members.aol.com/myself7482/winthrop.htm
http://www.usigs.org/library/books/ma/WinthropFleet/WinthropFleetP0...

So I can’t explain why those sources listed John Pickeram or Pickram (the Winthrop Fleet arriver in 1630) as Pickering, but he is a different person from the 1634 arriver, John Pickering.

Bond’s Watertown lists Pickram as that name, so does Savage.

*Savage, James. A Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers of New England Showing Three Generations of Those Who Came Before May, 1692. Vol. I-IV. Boston, MA, USA: 1860-1862. [https://books.google.com/books?id=FXxKDQAAQBAJ&amp;lpg=RA1-PA1649&a... GoogleBooks]

Don't know, I was actually trying to figure out why Henry Reynolds estate was being handled by John and Johnathan Pickering, and John Marston, I was trying to follow the line back, and then some random Sir Gilbert shows up.
If Henry had children that lived, some would be under age when he died in 1664, but no mention, but the Pickering's showed up. Do you have any info if that was a habit of theirs? Is there an old "Probate" handler occupation I'm not familiar with?

Oops, disregard the 1664 comment, I am
working too many lines at once and mixing my old folks, but still want to know why John Jr was put forward as a principle on the paper work.

Showing 361-390 of 5589 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion