Governor Sir George Yeardley - Grave Likely Found

Started by Private User on Tuesday, July 24, 2018
Showing all 6 posts
Private User
7/24/2018 at 7:08 AM

Archaeologists at Jamestown believe they've found Yeardley's remains: https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/archaeologists-have-found-the-...

Not confirmed yet, but exciting!

(No Name)
7/24/2018 at 7:43 AM

Thanks for sharing this Ashley. Super interesting. The pre-refromation Catholic boxes are a mystery.
Very exciting.

7/25/2018 at 12:13 PM

Was just coming to share & y’all were here already !

“The story of Yeardley, whom most people have never heard of, has risen in importance recently because next summer marks the 400th anniversary of the famous assembly he convened.

It also marks the 400th anniversary of the arrival on U.S. soil of the first enslaved Africans, some of whom he purchased, according to historians.

Thus, he represents two of the chief veins in American history — representative government and slavery, which took root in the same summer, in the same place, in the person of the same man.”

7/25/2018 at 12:16 PM

“Raised in London, the son of a businessman tailor, he became a soldier — “truly bred in [the] university of warre,” a friend wrote.

As a young officer, it is said he came to Virginia with nothing but his sword.

But he was among the first of millions of Europeans to find his fortune here.“

Private User
12/14/2020 at 5:22 PM

George Yeardley is my 9th Great-Grandfather ... I may be able to answer a few questions about his burial if you do not have it.

First, i am currently a member of Ancestry and checking other places to see which one I would like to join - I am not currently a member of Geni

Jean Esposito
jeanesposito0609@comcast.net

12/15/2020 at 4:53 AM

Private User Welcome! Feel free to add details you know.

Showing all 6 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion