Chief Hokolesqua Opeechan Stream "Wynepuechsika Keiga-tugh-qua" Cornstalk - Anyone want to study Cornstalks?

Started by Bellinda Gail Myrick-Barnett on Saturday, July 7, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 31-60 of 96 posts

Erica,
Didn’t I have connection to Queen Apliquipa too through another line I can’t check it oh well. I find these to people so interesting and their involvement to George Washington. My research was just basic and more through George Washington Accounts and area Accounts where they were found.

Billie

Getting ready to go out the door....

Either Peter Chartier died beyond 1759.....or he had a son also named Peter.....

COURT RECORD 117

Upper Camp Cat Fish Ord — 1769

By statement of facts by Peter Chartier, that George Croghan,
a man of many minds, and act of authority, by Cumberland County,
by force of same, declare that the said Peter Chartier be an enemy
of the English, whereby both Virginia and Cumberland County
should set a seal on the head of Chartier, as a Frenchmen or traitor
of evil mind, Christopher Gist now declare Chartier to be loyal to
King and Colony of Virginia, but by reason of Croghans attempt to
set Cumberland County Ord on Virginia soil, Gist did set his hand
direct against Croghan and so advise Jacob Horn of this at Upper
Camp Cat Fish in 1769. John Canon, Commissioner, with Tingoo-
qua and Chartier, direct Jacob Horn, Justie, to post notice that any
Cumberland County settlers making by claim the homestead on
Virginia soil in this territory, be executed, quartered and burned,
as a righteous act for said criminal act. Tingooqua and by watch
of Bowlegs, be directed to destroy any Penn. settlers making home-
tledsteads round about in this Virginia territory. This same to be
set down at this place, Upper Camp Cat Fish this 14th day of May

I have been trying to stay out of this, but a great deal of work has gone into this Cornstalk tree and if everyone starts adding, merging and chopping without checking their facts, this will end up just like the Cherokee, a total mess.

Linda, you updated and merged this "Shawano Woman" born c. 1650 died 1700 as a child of Hokelesqua Cornstalk born 1712. Please check your facts and post your sources in the overview prior to performing merges such as this. Hard to fix otherwise. I personally have spent many, many, hours on this tree, and I know errors exist in it but let's all tread lightly as Diana said and do this right the first time.

Straight Tail//Piqua {Waterbird}} Shawnee

Deleted dates, excuse that. Team effort, have been working super hard: Triangulation - SNP Circle 3 25/M

Sorry Lloyd I thought I had fixed the date, thanks for catching it. Thank you Bellinda for fixing it & putting in the Triangulation SNP info.

No problem, let's all just work diligently and carefully to make this tree accurate and make our Shawnee ancestors proud.
This tree has the potential to tie into the trees of many of us as it is later than the Cherokee, "seemingly" better documented (I say seemingly because much of it came from Don Greene's "research", which has been greatly discredited).

I see Billie and Diana on this discussion, both of which I have worked with much in the past and both are very good at finding sources. I hope we can find additional information that can be cross checked against Shawnee Heritage books. I don't believe everything Don Greene has put out is garbage but we need to proof it with other sources if possible.

Many of you that are pursuing this come from the same Appalachian region as I do so it should tie in well, versus much of the Cherokee being farther south and east. I don't think we will have as much trouble finding info as there is a lot of documentation out there from James Hicks, Emmett Starr and Lynda Foreman. I spent my entire childhood in the woods and along the trails that Princess Aracoma made as her home. This group of people feel like my family whether it turns out they actually are or not because their spiritual guidance made me who I am today. Glad to work with all of you.

Thank you, Lloyd. We owe the Geni Cornstalk tree to his efforts: celebrating these great Americans, not necessarily looking for personal connections. I would follow behind him, validate as best I could, and use Geni’s curating tools to maintain profile and tree integrity. It’s been years of work.

Y’all are expanding and detailing, which is great, but I would ask that the format of the Master Profile also should be maintained, with the family information at the top of the “about.” This provides the best view for the profile at a glance.

See: https://wiki.geni.com/index.php/Master_Profile

I often reprise it in Brief in the curator note.

I know we're not really....well kinda (since she has been mentioned)....talking about Aliquippa, but read the following. It is from the Horn Papers (Diaries). Have any of you heard of it??? I had a tree once....but it was taken apart....but I grew another tree.... anyways....

Snow In Face, the daughter of Oppaymolieh, beloved by all
Indians, by Devil's Itch Pox at Aliquippa Spring in winter season,
died in March, 1737 ( ?). (Snow In Face was by Bowlegs say, a full
sister to Queen Aliquippa the friend of Gist and Washington, and
Virginia).

Spin off into a different discussion? The Chartier tree needs merging.

I currently have Oppaymolieh as her husband (guess I need to fix). Here's the thing, I have seen big debate as to her birth. Some say 1685 died 1754....others, 1706-1771. I think there were 2 Aliquippas....mother, daughter....being born those dates. And I believe the elder one had (besides younger Aliquippa) daughter Snow in Face and son Kanuksusy. Younger Aliquippa could have been married to anyone (I'm still reading). Younger one was mother to Summer Eve.

Sorry, I was reading and typing as you posted that. Won't mention her anymore on this discussion.

I’d love to know more —- attached to her profile. :)

For you, pursuing a family line and a train of thought, the connection is perfectly logical.

For me, struggling to keep Seneca separate from Shawnee separate from other tribes, I could total the tree.

No one wants that.

I wish that I could attach it.....I would have, but it won't let me. It's from a library....and I think that you can only READ it. This "Horn Papers" mentions all kinds of names that I am familiar with.....Thomas Cresap, Christopher Gist, Thomas Collins....all lines that I have tinkered with. There's one thing that puzzles me....very, very, much....in the year that it mentions Peter Chartier, it says "Frenchman". Then in another section, it says friends of Christopher Gist....there was a Peter Chartier....and there was a Peter Chartres., I can copy sections at a time.....this is exactly how it states it...

Pale Face Chartres, brother of Peter Chartres, Peter Chartier
by French, was killed in fight by Gist Fur House, 1746.

Oh, you can copy paste your notes into profile overviews, or into discussions from the profiles.

Hurray! I was able to copy the link in her "about me". I just couldn't download it as a source. Here is the profile that Me and someone else has worked on....

“Queen” Aliquippa, of the Seneca

Remember, I haven't "fixed" anything yet....getting ready to eat. Working daylight again tomorrow....will try to mess with it tomorrow evening....or you can have at it, but PLEASE keep a connection to Summer Eve. I am 99% sure the line of Snodgrass is my daughter-in-laws great aunt's family. Ok...NOW I won't talk about her any more, I promise.

Summer eve seemed to be fictional so that needs a discussion.

Erica Howton Lloyd Alfred Doss, Jr. Rachelle Roby kit#AH6520100 Bellinda Gail Myrick-Barnett

Hokolesqua, Sachem Cornstalk

After once again reviewing information on Cornstalk, I believe the parents shown for Cornstalk on his profile are in error. As well as for his sister Nohelema

Nonhelema "The Grenadier Squaw" Cornstalk

Sources shown for Meskwa-katee "Red Skirt" "Bird" Cornstalk, "Of Metis ethnicity" as being his mother is Don Greene's Shawnee Heritage which I have been told be 2 different tribal historians are not to be used in research as a lot of the information is fabricated.

According to notes that I have & that is also on Wikipedia his parents were

Pigeon Moytoy & HawwaHawwaythi

Born ca. 1720
Pennsylvania
Died November 10, 1777
Fort Randolph, Virginia (now West Virginia)
Cause of death Killed by soldiers from Fort Randolph
Resting place Point Pleasant, West Virginia
Spouse(s) Helizikinopo (1715-1756), m. ca. 1739; Ounaconoa Moytoy (1715-1755), m. ca. 1740; Catherine Vanderpool (1725-1806) or 1808, m. 1763-1777
Relations Brother of Nonhelema
Children Aracoma Cornstalk, Elinipsico Cornstalk (1745-Oct. 10, 1777)
Parents Moytoy II Pigeon of Tellico (of Tainesi (Cherokee)) (1687-1760), Hawwaythi [1]
Known for Prominent leader of the Shawnee nation
Nickname(s) Keigh-tugh-qua and Wynepuechsika

"(Chief) Hokoleskwa Cornstalk (Colesqua) b. 1715 d. 10 November 1777". Rodovid EN. Retrieved 2013-02-18.
Pension Application of Jacob McNeil
"Fighting Chief Cornstalk's Remains Laid to Rest Again". The Charleston Gazette. Charleston, WV. 1954-09-21. Retrieved 2013-02-18.
Troy Taylor (2002). "The Cornstalk Curse!". Ghosts of the Prairie, Haunted West Virginia. Retrieved 2013-02-18.
"Welcome to Point Pleasant, West Virginia!". Mason County Convention and Visitors Bureau. Retrieved 2013-02-18.
Downes, Randolph C. Council Fires on the Upper Ohio. University of Pittsburgh Press, 1940.
Kellogg, Louise Phelps. "Cornstalk" in the Dictionary of American Biography, vol II. New York: Scribner, 1928.
Sugden, John. "Cornstalk" in American National Biography. Oxford University Press, 1999.
Roosevelt, Theodore. The winning of the West, Volume 1 G.P. Putnam's Sons, 1889
http://www.ohiohistorycentral.org/w/Hokolesqua

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornstalk

http://www.prairieghosts.com/cornstalk.html

http://www.wvculture.org/history/notewv/corn1.html

http://www.newrivernotes.com/topical_books_1850_virginia_cornstalk_...

http://www.wvcommerce.org/news/story/Shawnee-Chief-Cornstalk-killed...

https://americanindianshistory.blogspot.com/2012/02/shawnee-chief-c...

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Cornstalk

http://www.shelbycountyhistory.org/schs/indians/chiefcornst

http://www.theintelligencer.net/life/features/2014/10/visit-from-ch...

http://files.usgwarchives.net/wv/greenbrier/history/cornstlk.txt

https://www.wvencyclopedia.org/articles/1602

https://www.westernreservepublicmedia.org/onestate/cornstal.htm

http://www.pandaamerica.com/NEWS_08shawneeSilver03_25_09.asp?keywor...

http://frenchandindianwarfoundation.org/chief-cornstalk/

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/8284227/lord_dunsmore_and_shawnee_c...

Notes for Nonhelema

Shawnee leader
Personal details
Born ca. 1720
Died 1786
Spouse(s) A Shawnee man, Chief Moluntha
Relations Sister of Cornstalk
Children Son, "Captain Butler" (or Tamanatha)
Military service
Nickname(s) "The Grenadier" or "The Grenadier Squaw"
Battles/wars Bushy Run
Nonhelema (c. 1720-1786) was a Shawnee chieftess during the 18th century and the sister of Cornstalk, with whom she migrated to Ohio and founded neighboring villages.

Nonhelema, known as a warrior, stood nearly six feet, six inches.[1] Some called her "The Grenadier" or "The Grenadier Squaw", due to the large height of 18th-century grenadiers.

Nonhelema had three husbands. The first was a Shawnee man.[2] The third was Shawnee Chief Moluntha.[1] She had a son, Thomas McKee, through her relationship with Indian agent Colonel Alexander McKee and another son, Captain Butler/Tamanatha, through her relationship with Colonel Richard Butler.

Nonhelema was present at the Battle of Bushy Run in 1764. She and her brother, Cornstalk, supported neutrality when their land became the Western theater of the American Revolutionary War. In Summer 1777, Nonhelema warned Americans that parts of the Shawnee nation had traveled to Fort Detroit to join the British.[3] Following Cornstalk's 1777 murder at Fort Randolph, Nonhelema continued to support the Americans, warning both Fort Randolph and Fort Donnally of impending attacks. She dressed Philip Hammond and John Pryor as Indians so they could go the 160 miles to Fort Donnally to give warning. In retribution, her herds of cattle were destroyed. Nonhelema led her followers to the Coshocton area, near Lenape Chief White Eyes.[3] In 1780, Nonhelema served as a guide and translator for Augustin de La Balme in his campaign to the Illinois country.[1]

In 1785, Nonhelema petitioned Congress for a 1,000-acre grant in Ohio, as compensation for her services during the American Revolutionary War. Congress instead granted her a pension of daily rations, and an annual allotment of blankets and clothing.[1]

Nonhelema and Moluntha were captured by General Benjamin Logan in 1786. Moluntha was killed by an American soldier, and Nonhelema was detained at Fort Pitt. While there, she helped compile a dictionary of Shawnee words.[1] She was later released, but died in December 1786.[1]

Fictional depictions[edit]
Nonhelema is the subject of Warrior Woman, a 2003 novel authored by James Alexander Thom and Dark Rain Thom.[4]

She is portrayed by Karina Lombard in the November 2016 episode "Stranded" of the NBC TV series Timeless.[5]

References[edit]
^ Jump up to: a b c d e f Cook, Bernard A. (ed); Gundersen, Joan (2006). Women and war: a historical encyclopedia from antiquity to the present. ABC-CLIO. p. 434. ISBN 9781851097708. Retrieved 29 Nov 2011.
Jump up ^ Winkler, John F (2011). Wabash 1791. St. Clair's defeat. Oxford, UK: Osprey Publishing. p. 19. ISBN 978-1-84908-676-9.
^ Jump up to: a b Nash, Gary B. (2006). The Unknown American Revolution: The Unruly Birth of Democracy and the Struggle to Create America. London: Penguin Books. p. 255. ISBN 978-0-14-303720-0. Retrieved 28 Nov 2011.
Jump up ^ "Fiction Review - Warrior Woman: The Exceptional Life Story of Nonhelema, Shawnee Indian Woman Chief". Publishers Weekly. Retrieved 27 November 2011.
Jump up ^ Foster, Ann (November 22, 2016). "With death on the line, Timeless forges new ground". ScreenerTV.com. Retrieved November 29, 2016

His father “cannot” have been Pigeon Moytoy because

1) he didn’t exist
2) pigeon is a title (I think)
3) Moytoy is Cherokee and this is a Shawnee man
4) the REAL Moytoy had only one known son.

I have no opinion on the cited mother.

From my cleanup last night, this is what I got for Cornstalk’s REAL Ancestry so far, and added to profile Okawela Paxinosa Okawela Cornstalk

The parents of Hokolesqua, known as Cornstalk, are unknown. He said in a speech that his father was White Fish, a Shawnee man. The Moravian Missionaries say he was the son or grandson of Paxinosa. In any case he was not the son of anyone named Opeechan Stream

———

So to me, next step is to research Paxinosa.

The Moravian Missionary Records are considered a reliable source.

Current article for Wikipedia has no parents, and only this note for origins

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornstalk

Historians believe he may have been born in present-day Pennsylvania, and with his sister, Nonhelema, moved to the Ohio Country, near present-day Chillicothe, when the Shawnee fell back before expanding white settlement.

Looking at the “talk” page might reveal a behind the scenes argument.

Oops sorry they’ve got

Parents
Moytoy II Pigeon of Tellico (of Tainesi (Cherokee)) (1687-1760), Hawwaythi

http://en.rodovid.org/wk/Person:591931

That’s a user tree based in Europe.

For a reminder: the real Moytoy

Moytoy of Tellico

From https://www.accessgenealogy.com/native/shawnee-indian-chiefs-and-le...

Chief Paxinos
Paxinos. A Minisink and subsequently a Shawnee chief of the 17th and 18th centuries. He appears first in history in 1680, when as sachem of the Minisink he sent 40 men to join the Mohawk in an expedition against the French, and 10 years later was sent by his tribe to confer with Gov. Dongan of New York in regard to engaging in the war against the same nation. About 1692 or 1694 a small body of Shawnee settled among the Munsee, of whom the Minisink formed a division, and possibly Paxinos may have been one of this party. He was married about 1717. As early at least as 1754 he is referred to as the “old chief” of the Shawnee 1, and is so designated in the New York Colonial Documents wherever referred to. Heckewelder 2, confirmed by Brinton, also says he was the chief of the Shawnee. He removed from Minisink to the Delaware country, but at what date is unknown, his next appearance being in connection with the difficulties which grew out of the removal of the Delawares to Wyoming, Pennsylvania. After the death, in 1749, of Shekellimus, the father of Logan, who had been a friend of the Moravian missionaries, the latter were fortunate in gaining the friendship of Paxinos. In 1754 he, with Tedyuskung, warned the people of Gnadenhuetten to remove to Wajomick (Wyoming), Pennsylvania; but for this their lives would have been in danger. The next year Paxinos renewed the warning and demanded an answer in the name of the Hurons. His wife, for whom he had great affection and to whom he had been married for 38 years, was converted and baptized with Paxinos’ consent. Soon after his last visit the Moravian settlement at Shamokin was attacked, and hearing of the danger to which the missionary Kiefer was exposed, Paxinos sent his two sons to conduct him to a place of safety. He was present with chiefs of other tribes at Ft Johnson, N. Y., Apr. 15-19, 1757, in conference with Sir William Johnson regarding lines of travel and trade 3, and also at the conference with Gov. Denny at Easton, Pennsylvania, in August of the same year 4. Paxinos removed with his family to Ohio in 1755 or 1758, where his tribesmen joined in the war against the English. It is probable that he died shortly after this time. He left two sons, Kolapeka and Teatapercaum, the latter a chief of some note in the war of 1764 5. His name is given in various forms, as Paxihos, Paxinosa, Paxnos, Paxnous, Paxowan, Paxsinos, etc.

Erica Howton

Maybe his parents should just be detached at this point and just shown as unknown????

Erica Howton I added your note "The parents of Hokolesqua, known as Cornstalk, are unknown. He said in a speech that his father was White Fish, a Shawnee man. The Moravian Missionaries say he was the son or grandson of Paxinosa. In any case he was not the son of anyone named Opeechan Stream" to the profile.

Let me know if we should detach the parents shown for him & Nonhelema

Here’s Meskwa-katee "Red Skirt" "Katee” Mekoche

She was not a Moytoy.

Cornstalk was a Shawnee man.

I’m not detaching yet.

1) Cornstalk’s own words were my father was White Fish. Find that speech.

2) we need to build the Paxinosa tree and see if there’s a child that fits for his parents. There are only two sons names so far, maybe we are looking at a daughter married to White Fish. But maybe the timeline doesn’t work.

(Linda - I merged your Hawwaythi profile into White Fish’s wife & detached her from Moytoy, and added the name as an AKA).

The Grenadier Squaw is always considered as Cornstalk’s sister.

Doesn't "were my father" indicate "I wish my father"

Don't know just asking -- that's the take I had on that

Erica Howton

Erica Howton

Oh by the way thanks for merge

I found this:

Sherman contributes: "From Draper (Manuscripts) 3Dxviii, the Indian name of Cornstalk was Keigh-tugh-qua signifying a blade (or stalk ) of the maize plant. In Indian Agent George Morgan’s journal’s he was also called Colesqua and his father was White Fish. It listed his brother as Nimwha. C. Hale Sipe’s Indian Chiefs of Pennsylvania says he went by the name of Tamenebuck, or Taming Buck. The most popular name here in Ohio seemed to be the Shawnee name of Hokolesqua."

American National Biography (2002) by Oxford University Press, lists in Cornstalk’s entry, Hokoleskwa, as meaning "a blade of corn". Original names are rendered in white settlers' records as Colesqua, Keightughque, and Semachquaan. A1764 document identifies him with Tawnamebuck, a Shawnee who attended the Lancaster Treaty proceedings in Pennsylvania in 1748, but probably is in error. In a speech of 1775, Cornstalk seems to describe himself as the son of White Fish, but Matthew Arbuckle, who knew them both, implies otherwise in a letter of December 1776. Moravian missionary records indicate that he was the son or grandson of noted headman Paxinosa, and circumstances suggest this to be true.

http://shawnee-bluejacket.com/chiefs.html

It never helps that there are many names for the same person. :)

That he said “my father was White Fish” does not mean he wasn’t a grandson of Paxinosa.

I think Tame Buck was different though.

The Grenadier Squaw seems to have lost two husbands if anyone wants to try a fix.

Showing 31-60 of 96 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion