2 brick walls - Alice DeVries born May 19, 1913 and Aaltje De Vries ?

Started by Private User on Wednesday, July 4, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing 1-30 of 34 posts
Private User
7/4/2018 at 9:48 AM

Anyone know how hard it is to find the family of a single mother? I am really hoping that someone has hit a brick wall with my great great grandmother Aaltje De Vries mother of
Jan De Vries born 7/28/1872 in Vierhuizen Netherlands. His daugher Alice De Vries born in 1913 is also a dead end. Here is a link to my great grandfather. I have tried to document everything to back up the family.
Jan "John" de Vries

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Private User
7/4/2018 at 3:43 PM

A scan of the birth record of Jan "John" de Vries is available at http://allegroningers.nl/zoeken-op-naam/deeds/a1950847-915b-7c15-f4...

If you haven't done so already, I would be asking someone with expertise at reading these what the handwritten parts say. Are there any clues for example in names of witnesses? Does it say how old the mother was? etc.

Private User
7/4/2018 at 4:13 PM

I already have that and did post it in the dutch portal and only received 1 response that wasn't very helpful. How did you post the information to the overview on his profile? Everything that I have is under media, as a document, if there is an easier way to add items, please let me know. Thank you

Private User
7/5/2018 at 6:49 PM

Maybe try again to get some help with original documentation.

The Media tab is the best place to put documents.

Not everyone always looks in the Media tab to see if anything is there. It is often worth noting in the About overview that there are documents in the Media tab.

7/23/2018 at 3:50 PM

I found a family tree on a dutch website that shows her parents. her father was Reinder de vries ( 1824-1900) and her mother was Aaltje Siebes Meetsma (1825 - 1902) . Her father's parents were Liebe Jacobs de Vries and Aaltje Reinders Ypma. Her mother's parents were Siebe Tjiidsgers Meetsma and Janke Egberts Van der Muelen. She had siblings named Tjeerd, Johannes, Roelof, Fimke, Trijntje, Abele, Piertje, Jeltje, and Luitzen. She was born in 1853. She lived in Hoornsterzwaag but she was born in Schoterland .

I decided to continue searching......

Her father Reinder had a brother named Gosse De Vries, born in 1833 in Dantumadeel, died 1902 in Tietsjerkstradeel at 69 years old. I went to do some more research on him, because he might have some descendants. I found out, his father, (Aaltje's father) Reinder, had married twice. His second marriage was to Tjamke Gossens Taekema. He had more children named Marten, Aukje, Sijke, and Douwe.

i hope this information helps.

Regards,
Michael

Private User
7/24/2018 at 10:03 AM

Thank you, do you have a link to that tree or the name of the dutch website?

Private User
7/24/2018 at 2:37 PM

Thank you, now I just have to find the missing puzzle piece to connect the pieces together. I will do a branch off of my tree to see if it connects to my great grandfather.

Private User
12/18/2018 at 2:39 PM

I have a branch for Aaltje de Vries that I want to connect to her son, I just need verification of the name of who my great grandfather joined when he immigrated to the US. The passenger list is under media in his profile and I need input as to what the name is on line 9 under column 18. I did look up the abbreviations online and br i l would stand for brother in law.

Jan "John" de Vries

this would help solve the brick wall on my great great grandmother if the name is what I think it is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

12/18/2018 at 5:20 PM

Belinda, I'll try and find a better scan of that manifest for you. I don't think anyone could read that, perhaps if you knew the name already and were just looking for confirmation but looking at it with no preconceptions it's just scribble to me.

I do note the site you got it from its offering high quality copies for a fee so the image quality may be reduced intentionally to increase sales.

Private User
12/18/2018 at 5:33 PM

Alex Moes the name that I hope it is, is Albert Beukema.

Private User
12/18/2018 at 5:45 PM

I can read brother in law Albert Beukema at https://media.geni.com/p13/2f/3a/69/3c/53444849ac0b4f20/passenger_l... at line 9

Private User
12/18/2018 at 6:14 PM

Private User, if the state is Ill, how would I merge Aaltje Ates de Vries with Aaltje Ates de Vries in a branch that is not connected to my family?

Private User
12/18/2018 at 6:51 PM

Alex Moes and Private User, would 45 be to old for someone to have a child back then? HIs father would still be unkown, because her husband died in 1859.

Private User
12/18/2018 at 6:52 PM

There are various ways to merge profiles

See https://help.geni.com/hc/en-us/articles/229705547-How-can-I-merge-m...

- Drag and drop profiles in the tree; or
- "Merge This Profile"

Or just ask and I or another experienced user can do it for you. I would use drag and drop

12/18/2018 at 9:09 PM

Males are medically able to father children until the day they die as a general rule so there is no such thing as too old. Even socially 45 is not old for a father, perhaps unusual for a first time parent but not impossible.

Sorry did u mean the mother was 45? I'd still not think an unusual age.

Private User
12/19/2018 at 3:30 AM

On Jan de Vries birth certificate and the marriage of Noltje Luit and Albert Beukema , one of the witnesses is Emanuel Reitsema, who died in 1881. Do you think that this and the fact that when he immigrated and joined Albert Beukema would be enough supporting evidence to have the profiles of Aaltje de Vries merged? I tried to copy the links but it just brought up the whole search pages. I do have the images saved under media for both Noltje "Nellie" Luit and Jan "John" de Vries. If so, could one of you merge Aaltje Ates de Vries and Aaltje Ates de Vries. I don't want to mess everyting up.

12/19/2018 at 4:20 AM

I uploaded a better quality scan to Jan's media tab. https://media.geni.com/p13/82/a6/f4/23/53444849ae7a7232/jandevries1...

I agree that BIL name = Albert Beuk*ma
Final destination looks like "iLLs Englewood"

12/19/2018 at 4:37 AM

I'm out of practice but it looks like Emanuel is 46 years old in 1880 "zesen veertig"
http://allegroningers.nl/zoeken-op-naam/deeds/37177f98-8cbe-41a7-4f...

Which makes him 38 when Jan is born, i think you are suggesting Emanuel may be Jan's father?

12/19/2018 at 4:52 AM

I merged the two Aaltje's for you as it seems entirely reasonable they are the same woman.

I don't think Emanuel being a witness at both the baptism and wedding is a strong argument for being Jan's father.

Private User
12/19/2018 at 4:59 AM

Alex Moes, not suggesting father, just that the 2 Aaltje's are the same.

Thank you Alex Moes and Private User for your help.

9/17/2019 at 10:16 PM

Hi Private User
Rather than breaking the connection between Jan and his mother it is the beginning of the two Aaltje profiles that needs to be reversed, if they are not in fact the same woman.

I think one avenue open to us is researching the Luit children to see if their marriages or other later records indicate that their mother remarried after Mr Luit died.

Dutch children take their father's surname, so in any case Jan given his name and date of birth cannot be a child of Jan Luit but perhaps he is named Jan in honor of the widow's previous husband (obviously speculation).

If we can prove that the widow of Jan Luit remarried prior to 1872 (Jan's birth) then this would disprove the two Aaltje being a match.

9/17/2019 at 10:17 PM

Sorry, beginning=merging

Private User
9/18/2019 at 12:24 PM

good idea!

Private User
9/19/2019 at 7:03 AM

Here is another Luit that came in 1909, I cannot find a birth record and it would have been after Jan Luit passed. He is listed as a boarder in the census for Jan de Vries. The name is mis-spelled as J De Vues instead of de Vries and is listed as his half brother.

Hendrik Luit
New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924
Name:
Hendrik Luit

Event Type:
Immigration
Event Date:
31 Mar 1909
Event Place:
Ellis Island, New York City, New York, United States
Residence Place:
Vierkuizen, Holland
Marital Status:
Single
Nationality:
Holland, Dutch
Birth Year:
Departure Port:
Rotterdam, Holland
Ship Name:
Potsdam
Additional Name:
J O D Meulen

Arrival Contact Name:
J De Vues

Arrival Contact Name Relationship:
Half Brother
Page Number:
Affiliate Line Number:

9/19/2019 at 7:17 AM

Nice, but this Hendrik was born c1865 which is apparently 6 years after Jan Luit's death in 1859

Private User
9/19/2019 at 7:42 AM

I already mentioned that in the post above.

9/19/2019 at 4:06 PM

Yes, I was posting from my phone so only a brief reply.
I have reported the transcription errors to MH for J v d Muelen and J De Vries

Point of interest, one of the Luit girls is married to a Jan van der Meulen

Private User
9/19/2019 at 5:57 PM

Jantje Luit died 04/07/1900, she had a daughter Titia that was born 09/23/1899. Albert Beukema and Noltje Luit have a daughter Tena that was born in the Netherlands on same day which is listed on the death record, but, I can't find a birth record for her. I have been trying to find the immigration records, but it's not listed on the Ellis Island site and Castle Garden just gives a blank page when searching.

9/20/2019 at 6:27 PM

For what it's worth Aaltje never remarried, here's her death record which states she is the widow of Jan Luit: https://www.allegroningers.nl/zoeken-op-naam/persons?f=%7B%22search...

Showing 1-30 of 34 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion