Donald J. Trump, 45th President of the USA - NYTimes article about Trump's ancestral German village

Started by Private User on Tuesday, July 3, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

• Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni member
  • Private User
    Geni member
  • Geni member

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 7 posts
Private User
7/3/2018 at 3:31 AM

Yesterday's New York Times had a cute story about the Trump family's ancestral village in Germany and how It's grappling with its new-found fame. Locals are trying to figure out their connections to him, tourists are driving homeowners up the wall, and officials are trying to figure out just how much they want to publicize their connection (if at all).

Regardless of your opinions on the guy -- and please, don't make this thread political -- it's a fun look at what happens to a small town when someone with a connection makes it big. :)

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/07/02/world/europe/trump-germany-fa...

Private User
7/3/2018 at 3:55 AM

Kind of fun story. But the hatred is so sad......AND hard to understand. I would be sooo proud to have a personal connection to the amazing President Donald J. Trump! ❤️

I'm even happy that his town is not all too far from the Baden area and also Alsace that my ancestors come from.

Private User
7/3/2018 at 4:12 AM

Drumpft is a perfect example of how difficult it is to track the family lineage. Name changes confuse people. It is confusing enough that women change their name when they marry, but to have a family change it for no reason (for mere vanity: Drumpft - Trump), is more annoying.

Private User
7/3/2018 at 6:52 AM

Great story of the Trump family i feel sorry for the people who live in the town where his parents were born!!!!

7/3/2018 at 8:17 AM

Thanks for sharing this story. I find it very interesting and am proud of the President and his accomplishments.

Private User
7/3/2018 at 9:53 AM

Well, as the article points out, any "hate" seems mutual. He hasn't exactly said the nicest things about Germany, and he even pretended to be Swedish for a long time! But anyway.

I am trying to pull what info I can from the article to expand our tree. These anecdotes seem like our best bets:

----

OPTION 1:

"Another Trump relative is Steffen Geissel, who does quality control for local wines. His great-grandmother was a sister of Mr. Trump's grandfather. His grandmother Louise flew to America to attend the 80th birthday of Mr. Trump’s father, Fred, when Mr. Geissel was a boy, he said."

OPTION 2:

"Bernd Weisenborn, whose great-grandmother Barbara was also a sister of Friedrich Trump, was serving a local customer in his restaurant shortly after Mr. Trump quit the Paris climate accord."

----

These are Friedrich's sisters:

- Barbara Weisenborn
- Katharina Trump
- Elisabetha Freund
- Sybilla Luisa Schuster

So we have to work down from there.

Private User
7/3/2018 at 10:03 AM

I found Sybilla Luisa Schuster's husband, George Henry Schuster and I think this is their family:

Louise Schuster
1900 United States Federal Census
Birth: Mar 1865 - Germany
Residence: 1900 - New York City, New York, New York, USA
Husband: Henry Schuster
Children: Getrude Schuster, Helen Schuster, Katie Schuster, George Schuster, Henry Schuster, Louise Schuster

That daughter Louise would be Steffen's grandmother, assuming she moved back to Germany. Anyone good with German records want to assess this?

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion