Alice Bradford (Morton) - Not Morton

Started by Kim Marie Bagley on Monday, June 25, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 7 posts
6/25/2018 at 7:27 AM

I have found a document that claims this woman's name is Hanson not Morton. Wish I knew how to add sources.

6/25/2018 at 7:29 AM

Dictionary of National Biography volumes 1-22, page 1,085
Found on Ancestry

6/25/2018 at 7:30 AM

Before you change anything, be aware that many generations continued with the same first names, and it is easy to get confused.

6/25/2018 at 7:48 AM

Did you see the media I posted? This is about her maiden name not first name.

6/25/2018 at 11:27 AM

I must have the wrong William

6/25/2018 at 11:43 AM

From the profile notes for this William Bradford

William Bradford's first wife was very probably Alice Morton, a sister of the Anthony Morton from whom he bought land and houses. According to the Browne Reference (see below), William Bradford (1533-1595) won these properties in a "fine" where Bradford was a "plaintiff" and Anthony Morton and his wife, Mary are "deforciants". The same article asserts that William Bradford's 1 st. wife was Alice Morton, sister of Anthony Morton, and that Anthony Morton was the grandfather of George Morton, the Plymouth Colonist. One of Anthony Morton's two sons was George Morton (the elder) who married Catherine Boun and had a son, the George Morton of Leyden and Plymouth, a member of the Seperatists, many of whom sailed to Plymouth on the Mayflower.

6/25/2018 at 11:47 AM

In other words, Alice Morton is a “most likely” but not completely confirmed.

One needs caution for a couple more reasons:

- There were a lot of William Bradford’s
- There are erroneous pedigrees in circular

DNB is a good source, if a link to the article can be found and posted, that would be helpful.

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion