Aggie Damron (Owl) - Nionee Ollie Owl (Oconostota)

Started by Michelle Ann on Wednesday, June 13, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 15 posts

Is Nionee Ollie Owl (Oconostota) her mother if so then wouldn't that mean that Chief Attakullakulla was her father? Because another entry shows her as married to Chief Attakullakulla. The other entry shows her name as being married to him. Please send a message when you can.

Who is Chief Nunna'hi Pathkiller?

Aggie Owl was not Cherokee

“Anecdotal family tradition states that Aggie was Cherokee Indian, either full or half-blood. However, there does not appear to be any documented evidence to support this claim. Recent mitochondrial DNA evidence suggests Aggie was predominantly European (Haplogroup H). There is not even enough evidence that Aggie's maiden name was actually Owl. Based on residents of the area, it was more likely Howl/Howle or Ogle.”

Southern Dialect Lesson. Any native is "Cherokee" as soda or pop = "Coke".

Re: Southern Dialect Lesson. Any native is "Cherokee" as soda or pop = "Coke".

That's good to know, thank you !

But we're on a genealogy site where we want to be more precise.

It's actually becoming simpler to see. Ckerokee tribe has records, other groups in the southeast, sadly, not as much.

So if the family is not in Emmett Starr's book, it's more likely not Cherokee.

I put the Howell line in Aggie's "about me" section...just in case she belongs in that group.

I guess I should explain a little bit more about this Aggie.

We don’t know who her parents were, but we do know who they were not.

She’s not a known child of Chief Attakullakulla "Little Carpenter", Cherokee Emissary to England

He was the most famous chief of his time and he’s in the history books. But as with most of history, the name of his wife is not known. If you see it as Nionne, you’re seeing a fabrication.

We do know the names of three of his sons: Dragging Canoe, Little Owl, and Turtle at Home.

None of them have known descendants.

The Pamunkey from the Tidewater area and the Cherokee from the inland mountains had no particular interaction I’m aware of. In colonial history they’re kind of separated by 100 years or more.

I think the name (nickname) Little Owl may confuse people about this Aggie. But as Diana pointed out, we don’t even know her surname was Owl at all ...

Hope this helps.

There might be something wrong with her Links also, I’m showing her through a Massachusetts line.

A. Reworked the Moores to get to this merge question.
B. OWL is what 100 or more people call her.
C. Wind Clan trumps any paper. That would be from Shawnee.
D. Her parents have to stay FNU because after getting the Moore's collated, everyone would need double chromosome matches to each other to make me believe the parents are the Cornstallks because with 33 overlapping triangulations from Floyd to Pound in this cluster, the Cornstalks can't be the parents of every line....
E. The matches on the avatar for OWL should matter that the people who claim her also have Cornstalk in different lines too; so, I am thinking we have to leave as a Howell kin in a circle of Cook, and other Pamunky names and at some point enough testers will agree on the mother's name and dad's name and it will be when the NOLA Port records are not tied up behind a paywall. Or it be when there are so many matches that it is what everyone agrees to as WInd Clan because that came through her mom.

Merge Question. After 21 hours of working on this from a wide range to various cousins' lines, can the A. Damron be merged and locked to Owl, Aggie Damron. Thank you.

Merge done but I have a question.

There’s this profile

Agatha Sally Maynard (Damron)

And this one is born in Devon England before Aggie was born, & married a baronet. I think doesn’t belong?

Agatha Sally Maynard (Damron)

I am just about to go there.
Someone turned a Maynord into a ..non Maynord.
I am working right up to that Agathat right now.

THat is a fun attempt at folks trying to be blue bloods where where were not listed in the
office of the stationary.....that name of the Lord Proprietors' office.

Or someone got a little mixed up ...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_William_Maynard,_4th_Baronet

He didn’t marry an Aggie at least.

Showing all 15 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion