Attila the Hun is my 50th great grandfather - really ?

Started by Erica Howton on Thursday, May 31, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 31-49 of 49 posts

The family tree contains both the contradictory reports of Anonymus and Simon Kézai.
Majority of the historians accept Anonymus' concept which suggests Ügyek was the father of Álmos.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%9Cgyek#Family_tree

Chief of the Magyars Veget a Magyarok Vezére

I feel sorry for you who reported my honest opinion about your previous work in this area, seems to be odd that you now actually asked someone else for an opinion, mostly you usually (in fact it might be all the time) just act like a one mans own jury judge executioner, as the cuts was already made, am i not right?

Jordanes, yes. He gives Attila's father and uncles -- Mundzucus (Mundzuk), Octar, and Ruas (Rugila) -- and brother Bleda.

I haven't ever seen a reasonably contemporary source for Attila's grandfather. There might be one but I doubt it.

Primary sources are Cassiodorus, Jordanes, Priscus, Soncrates of Constantinople, and Theophanes of Byzantium.

> Majority of the historians accept Anonymus' concept which suggests Ügyek was the father of Álmos.

No, I disagree. Most historians are not so gullible ;)

The sources for Álmos' ancestry are 400 years late and they're contradictory. The two different names given for his father -- Ügyek and Előd -- both look like they're either inventions of the chronicler, or they're part of an older mythological tradition that likely had nothing to do with Attila.

The line should be cut at Álmos.

Linking to Álmos Árpád dynasty, Chief of the Magyars for future reference.

Used to be but breaks here now
Theodebald I, duke of the Bavarians
her father → Agivald, duke of the Bavarians
his father → Gjukungar, Princess of Burgundy
his wife

Yay! We're getting closer to the facts.

Now I have to go look at that Gjukungar. Looks suspiciously like the legend as told by the Nibelungenlied.

Hello!

Since we are on the topic of Attila the Hun, I think that we should also take a look at his ancestry. Currently Geni has a long line going back to the Chinese Emperors. https://www.geni.com/path/Attila-the-Hun-Scourge-of-God-59th-King-o... The path goes back over a thousand years to some Bor, king of the huns. Burtas (Bor), king of the Huns

I presume it came from this website: https://fabpedigree.com/s084/f329059.htm

Anyway, I think that it is pretty safe to say that this is complete nonsense, and we should probably decide where we cut Atilla's tree and then figure out what to do with the over 1000 years worth of Hunnic kings listed here on Geni.

In addition, Attila's title as the 59th king of the huns also seems suspect, as I have been unable to find any reliable mention of this numbering in my google searches.

Daughter of Liu Yue Is in my path to Bor

Private User Any ideas ?

Borr, {Norse God} is the father of Odin. And the profile picture is a Swedish bronze age image https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Bronspl%C3%A5t_fr_Torslunda...
Pretty sure there were no Huns in Sweden? Potatoes I'm not so sure, didn't Columbus invent them?

Justin Durand Thanks for all the great work you do for this project! Two questions: you merged ATTH's profile with another ATTHSOG a couple of weeks ago. Where can I find the one that you did the merge with? Second, before you sever "Mr. Scourge," would it be possible for the community to do a bit more research about the Huns and the purported Han Chinese connections? Given the eras involved, it's possible an Han princess or two may have married westward..... It's certainly worth a bit more research. Thanks!

Private User, I'm not sure I'm understanding.

I don't remember merging profiles from Attila, but I might have done. Except when I check the Revisions tab I don't see anything like that. And, anyway the merged profile is gone (merged) except for the history in Geni's logs. We could undo the merge and take a look if that's really something we need.

What I did do on Attila was move some of his legendary relatives to the Nibelungenlied and Volsunga Saga versions of him. Those are here:
Etzel, king of the Huns {Nibelungenlied}
Atli Buðlason, {Volsunga saga}

Then on the connections to China, I agree that there could have been a connection. I've seen quite a few of them proposed over the years but none that stand up to scrutiny. Hope springs eternal. I'm not working in that area and I don't know anyone who is, but my advice would be go ahead and cut now if there's no citation to good evidence. The connection can always be put back later if we find something good.

And that's my philosophy in all of these ancient connections -- it's not a problem to re-attach a connection if evidence emerges.

Thanks, Justin Durand. I need to look deeper on the merge issue. I think the two cuts you made might be where I am seeing a difference. With regard to the Asian connection, your absolutely right. It's blurry. But, the question is: where would you sever it? Where do we believe the trail goes bad?

Private User, I hope this doesn't sound like hedging but I'm afraid it will

There's a difference between where I would sever it and where I think WE should sever it.

I think experienced genealogists know this problem. I might believe something but that doesn't mean I believe it has been proven. So, I deal with that and so does everyone else on Geni. The trick is to look for common areas of agreement using good genealogy standards and try not to push our own pet theories.

So, if it were just me I'd look at those connections and cut the ones that look dubious and where a quick 10-15 minute search doesn't turn up supporting evidence. The burden of proof is on the person proposing the connection. If the proof isn't there, then I wouldn't accept the connection.

What WE should do might be very different. I'm always open to ideas about that.

I'm looking at a particular path:
https://www.geni.com/path/Attila-the-Hun-Scourge-of-God-59th-King-o...

Here, what I see is very clear.

The father of Mundzuk, chieftain of the Huns is not named in any contemporary or reasonably contemporary source.

That's where the evidence fails so that's the place to cut. With a link in the overview, of course. Anyone who is interested would be able to find the connection through that link. And anyone who wants to believe the line is real can continue looking for evidence.

Gundahar, king of the Burgundians
his father → Athanildis
his wife

Breaks here now for me but closer :)

Erica, he is my 37th g/grandfather!

Showing 31-49 of 49 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion