The Real McMoytoy -- Standing-Up!

Started by Timothy Lavon Mitchell-Jones on Wednesday, May 16, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 31-60 of 79 posts

Timothy, If you're not afraid to follow me....over a cliff at times (it's ok, I have wings)....I just added your 4th great grandmother's findagrave info.....

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/46679842/rachel-norris

Oh cool thank you Diana... I go over the cliff too -- sometimes I forget my wings lol. Until it's almost too late...:):) But I'm so glad I learned how to bounce lol.

Thank you:):)

what kills me is they died so young back then... Consumption hit a lot of people it seems -- and that Spanish Flu wiped out entire families around 1917 or so... You'll see several with the same dates -- it's around 1915 - 1920 close together -- they died of that or related conditions... Sad. Had one of those mini-epidemics around early 1970's too... Reminds me of the Swine Flu epidemic in 2008, everyone was out sick at College where I attended... For about two weeks it was like a deserted campus... They gave us air gun shots when I was in the first grade in the early 70's and we didn't know what it was -- no one said a thing -- except the mean boys who told the girls that if they moved it would blow their arm off -- teacher tanned their hides...lol.

I guess I'll nickname you "Tigger Timothy"....LOL

Ethnicity Estimate For: Timothy Carl Jones

Great Britain 68%
Iberian Peninsula 10%
Ireland/Scotland/Wales 9%
Finland/Northwest Russia 6%
Scandinavia 4%
Europe South 2%
European Jewish <1%
Europe West <1%

Migrations: Lower Midwest & Virginia Settlers

I know I have some Ashkenazi Jew genetics:
Carrier of Von Willebrand's Disease - can cause hemochromatosis where they used to bleed folks for making too many red blood cells.

And I have Torsion Dystonia -- painful genetic condition -- worse than a Charlie-horse and there is nothing that can be done... I try to stay de-stressed, if that's even possible. It's like if you use your hand typing the muscles draw-up and stay that way and it's very painful -- especially in your feet... Woke me up and can't walk -- nothing you can do till it's over with... Leaves bruises too.

LOL That's what and old friend of the family nick-named me when I was little -- reminded me of that...

Mr. Ira Wheeler of Wheatley, AR, nick-named me TOP CAT... TC from the old Cartoon... And it has stuck ever since...:) Tigger Top Cat :):)

Need film / video work / audio / remixes / any kind of media work I can do...
Also computer work -- so if y'all need work done on the computer, ask me and I'll help -- I use an app called TEAMVIEWER and it's very easy -- it allows me to remote in and fix whatever is wrong -- I use that with my mom -- and City Hall to work instead of having to drive so... Holler if you need help. Windows 10 is a bugger - I cannot wait until they get all their bugs worked out...

Hey Diana, on that merge on William "Billy" Ronald Norris, the name Ronald is not correct... The line is as follows:

6 William Simon Roland “BILLY” NORRIS b:
1816 in Wilkes County, North Carolina, d: 1892
in Pickett County, Tennessee Burial Lowhorn
and Ferrell Cemetery, Green Brier, Pickett
County, Tennessee

5 John Roland NORRIS b: Jan 1853 in
Overton County, Tennessee, d: 07 Nov 1903
in Warren County, Kentucky Burial Green
River Union Cemetery Richardville

4 James “Jim” Roland NORRIS b: 10 Apr
1883 in Warren County, Kentucky, d: 25
Aug 1930 in Bowling Green, Warren
County, Kentucky Buria Green River Union
Cemetery, Richardsville, Warren County,
Kentucky; Typhoid Fever

3 Lucy Jane NORRIS b: 31 Aug 1908 in
Central City, Muhlenberg County,
Kentucky, d: 16 Mar 1986 in Louisville,
Jefferson County, Kentucky, Burial
Fairview Cemetery, Bowling Green,
Warren County, Kentucky

2 John Earl “Johnny” JONES b: 22 May
1945 in Bowling Green, Warren
County, Kentucky, d: 31 Oct 1978 in
Warren County, Kentucky Burial
Fairview Cemetery, Bowling Green,
Warren County, Kentucky; Injuries from
automobile accident

1 Timothy Lavon MITCHELL – JONES
b: 25 Apr 1965 in Brinkley, Monroe
County, Arkansas.

I know my name is different -- That's my given-name at birth -- since that has none of my adopted family -- is only biological. I go by Timothy Carl Jones -- legal and current name.... on all ancestry records you'll find the other name...

Sometimes Lavon is spelled as LaVon -- it's really Lavon LAY-vun

Factoid: Both mothers named me Timothy w/out each other knowing and my surname is the same adopted as biological. A fluke....

Tim, I'm so happy to see you back working with us. Let's work on one generation and family at a time and not try to tackle your entire family tree all at one time, okay? Why don't you add your other ancestors from you back 4 or 5 generations and we can help you start to verify and document your tree, one person at a time. That way, you will know that it is like a giant oak--firm and secure, not speculative.

It's very easy when you first get started in genealogy to want to go too far and too fast to get as far back as possible. But in doing that, if we get careless along the way and get one generation wrong, all of our later efforts are a waste. I remember getting so upset because I had worked so hard on one branch of a family tree, and I was SO PROUD of this ancestry--until I found out that one link--just one link!--was incorrect and I had to ditch all of the upper tree because it was based on one ancestor's wife being the other when in fact I was descended from the OTHER wife, whose ancestry was not nearly so glorious :^).

You will find that trees shift as new information and documentation becomes available. History as we know it is only as good as our evidence, and our evidence changes from time to time. We will never know the complete truth of the past--just the interpretations we make from the shreds, bits and pieces that survived. DNA studies are great in adding those bits and pieces to the written evidence and the oral evidence (which always must be taken with a grain of salt) and the "created later" evidence (like family histories written centuries after the fact, so they become secondary rather than primary sources). DNA can only point us in general directions but it can't be as specific as we might want it to be. Secondary sources (from genealogy books to family trees we find online) are only as good as the primary evidence they are based upon--and they often reflect people's natural and frequent desire to "twist" the facts, or at least wishfully interpret them, to make them and their family descendants of noble or admirable or famous people.

What I've come to realize is that each and every ancestor or ancestress--especially the ones who are not famous--was special, a life lived that was full of all kinds of wonder and drama and love stories just waiting to be discovered, and all of which led down to you or me through the cascading generations.

I see that. When I merged, I think the other profile had Ronald for a middle name....anyways, I fixed it.

Here is the Find-a-Grave memorial referenced above. I have followed each section with the facts regarding the Cherokee Samuel Chambers.

"Rachel Chambers was born about 1781 in North Carolina. She often told her children she was one-fourth blood Cherokee. Her father, Henry Chambers, was said to have been one-half blood Cherokee. Rachel had a sister, and a brother, named Samuel (Sam) Chambers. She told her children that this brother went with the old Cherokee settlers to the Indian Territory in 1819. In fact, a Samuel Chambers was an old settler. He was married to a woman named Nancy. They had several children. Unfortunately, all but one of them had died in the Cherokee Nation by 1880. The only son to live to the time of the Dawes Commission was Lorenzo Dow Chambers."

FACT: a man named Samuel Chambers with a family of four signed up to emigrate on September 2, 1829. He and his family lived on Beaver Creek, in Hightower [Georgia]. John Chambers with a family of four and five enslaved blacks, along with Ginny Chambers and a family of three, who all lived on Beaver Pond, Hightower, signed up the same day. They left soon after and their property was already taken over by whites by 1830.
FACT: The Old Settler Roll of 1851 recorded the following members of the Chambers family in Flint District: Samuel and five children, John, Eliza, George, Elizabeth and Anderson.
A son, Lorenzo, was born in 1852. There were apparently three additional daughters, Clementine, Jane and Ruth.
William P. , dead by 1896, left a widow, Mary who was 64 years old in 1896 [according to Lorenzo’s Eastern Cherokee application William was his brother. He was apparently old enough to have his own household in 1851.]

"He, also unfortunately, was not enrolled by the Dawes Commission at any time from 1896-1902. He died in 1909 and is buried at Dwight Missions in Sequoyah County, Oklahoma."

FACT: Lorenzo Dow Chambers was enrolled by the Dawes Commission along with his wife, Elsie and two adopted children Israel and Archibald Christie. The boys were most likely cousins or nephews. Lorenzo’s BQ was listed as ½ since his mother’s was unknown.. Card number 1138, roll number 29728

" In a Guion-Miller Application in 1906, Dow Chambers did fill out a form for his deceased wife but included his vital statistics."

FACT: Elsie Christie applied for the Guion Miller payment on her own behalf. Application number 16092.

FACT: Lorenzo filed an Eastern Cherokee application claiming the payment in right of his first wife, Lydia Faulkner. Application number 16093. He listed his his own siblings, all deceased, and his father’s siblings, Jack, George, William, Jane, and Tookah, also all deceased. He further stated that he had two cousins, also deceased, named Jolly Watts and Isaac Squirrel. Lorenzo listed these family members because Old Settlers were not eligible for the Eastern Cherokee payment, so believed he could collect on a relative who was not an Old Settler. He stated that his father died in 1862, his mother in 1846 (since Lorenzo was born in 1852 he must have meant 1856]. He stated that he knew nothing about his mother, did not remember her and did not know if she was Cherokee or white .

The Drennan Roll for Flint Disttrict includes a George Chambers and wife Betsy and living next door to them, James Chambers and three children, George, Martha, and Susan

"He stated he was the son of Samuel and Nancy Chambers. That both parents had died early. He had several brothers and sisters, but he was the only one to live beyond 1880. He did name his father's brothers and sisters, but no Rachel was mentioned. He did name a Tookah Chambers, which could have been her Indian name but she was not named as Tookah Norris.
One of the main reasons I believe Henry Chambers was not on any Cherokee census roll was because he left the confines of the old Cherokee Nation in North Carolina. As a result, he gave up his citizenship in the Cherokee tribe. The old Eastern Nation was in the southwestern section of North Carolina near the Georgia border. Henry Chambers lived in the northwestern section of North Carolina in Wilkes County. At that day and time, it was not a good thing to be part Indian. Whites looked down on them. Apparently, Henry Chambers must have looked more white than Indian and lived among the whites as one of them. The whites would not have taken kindly to the fact that he was a half-blood Cherokee, a "half-breed." In those days, they did not know it would be important in later years to prove you were of Cherokee descent.
By the time Henry's descendants, the children of Rachel, emigrated to the Indian Territory, there was no factual proof in their beliefs.
Although she repeatedly told her children she was part Cherokee Indian, her descendants could not later prove it. Rachel died in 1846, possibly from consumption. Now called tuberculosis, it is a disease which took the lives of several of her descendants. She was buried in an unmarked grave in Overton County, Tennessee."

FACT: There is nothing other than wishful thinking to connect the Chambers family who lived in Hightower, Cherokee Nation [Georgia] and moved to Indian Territory in 1829 with the Chambers or Norris family who moved from Wilkes County, North Carolina to Kentucky. Henry Chambers is found on the 1790 census in North Carolina; his family is listed as all white, with 2 males over 16, 1 male under sixteen, and 4 females. Samuel Chambers was a full-blood, living in Georgia in 1829, not the son of a mixed-blood couple. Lorenzo Chambers knew the names of all his siblings and all of his father’s siblings. There is nothing to suggest that he left anyone off his lists on the Eastern Cherokee application, and in fact he was trying to include as many people as possible in hopes that someone would be eligible for the Eastern Cherokee payment.

Here's a interesting backstory if it pans out...

You guys remember the Cornelius Dougherty on the Licensed Traders list from tngenweb? It had David McDaniel and Cornelius Dougherty...

Here's the bone for us to chew-on:

Siblings:
Cornelius Dougherty and names of 20 more siblings

James 'trader' Dougherty

MyHeritage Family Trees
Linda's Family Roots, managed by linda johnson
Birth:
1732 - Place
Death:
1834 - Place
Parents:
Names of both parents
Siblings:
Moses Cornelius Dougherty and names of 47 more siblings

Do you see the interesting tidbit?

Wonder what exactly they were doing???

HEY LLOYD!!! YOU DIDN"T KNOW A LORENZO DOW CHAMBERS FROM LOGAN COUNTY (born 1856).....DID YA?

Lorenzo Dow Chambers

That makes sense seeing that the 1790 US Federal Census has a Rachel Chambers and also a Moses Chambers as HEAD OF HOUSEHOLD...

Year: 1790; Census Place: Moore, North Carolina; Series: M637; Roll: 7; Page: 165; Image: 438; Family History Library Film: 0568147

shows her as head of household 2 white males under sixteen and 3 white males including head of families... But she's head of household... I also saw an Angus Stewart listed.

While I am in my "elder" years, getting Senior coffee at McD's, and numerous other discounts that supposedly make up for all the aches and pains associated with age, Mr. Chambers is slightly older than I by only 101 years. Don't recall running into him when I was a boy. Thanks for the morale boost Diana....

However I do see in Tim's tree that his family were in Central City Ky, which is where my Doss and Moxley family came from back to WV following the Civil war to cut timber for the Hatfield's (of Devil Anse fame). Very likely that I may be related to his Norris family.

I think I saw a Doss surname in my DNA list... on my heritage...

Rex Hopper
DNA managed by Lewis F. Cozzaglio
Contact

DNA Match quality
Shared DNA
0.4% (30.7‎ cM)
Shared segments
Largest segment
30.7‎ cM

joyce dougherty
DNA managed by robert dougherty
Contact

DNA Match quality
Shared DNA
0.4% (27.3‎ cM)
Shared segments
Largest segment
27.3‎ cM

Barbra Joe Hall Jr (born Gunter)
DNA managed by april hardcastle
Contact

DNA Match quality
Shared DNA
0.7% (47.3‎ cM)
Shared segments
Largest segment
24.2‎ cM

Derek Doss
Contact

DNA Match quality
Low confidence
Shared DNA
0.2% (11.3‎ cM)
Shared segments
Largest segment
11.3‎ cM

Timothy, please don't miss Kathryn's post (above) with corrections about Rachel and Samuel Chambers.

Here's MyHeritage DNA Kit # assigned to me:

Assigned to you
AN-55B8D0 uploaded on July 8 2017

GEDMatch Kit # A964102

FTDNA Kit # B165825

Just a note that there are no living descendants of the Cherokee Samuel Chambers. Based on the information fromthe Old Settler, Dawes, and Guion Miller rolls, none of Samuel’s children had children who left descendants so there is no way to make a DNA connection with that family.

That's exactly what happened to me about the Anjou link -- I found the Mary Boleyn link and thought G2 / J2 and crap and threw out the possibility that it could be from Henry VIII -- now from retrospect, I kind-of know which couple of lines I need to look at... I suspect Rolfe somewhere... West, maybe. The roadblocks are tough, but not impossible... Eventually, Kathryn is correct, new information comes out and sometimes, I end-up being rambunctious, but even if I slobber all over everything like a bloodhound after that bone, I feel like Wylie Coyote going over a cliff with that BEEP BEEP! going-off in my head.

I appreciate your patience with me, I know I'm a handful at times, sometimes you have to remind that wild horse it has a saddle on lol. I am unorthodox and very intuitive and it seems that history whispers things I pick-up on and points me toward serendipity in discovery, but accuracy is a huge pet-peeve of mine -- so is admitting my own failings and mistakes -- but I always try to make-good on them.

And that is like my first college class - my teacher was a real administrator... It was her way or no way. I thought I knew it all and my first test I received exactly what I deserved -- a BIG FAT F. That's the only F I ever made through 2 degrees and she turned-out to be my favorite teacher and the most respected...

There's nothing wrong with saying: "I was wrong..." And I was. But you guys know what? Once I know how it works, I fix it asap. Then it's right...:)

I keep learning everyday... And watching and seeing how it all fits... That's where the "magic" is...

And working on a "family-project," I can relate to the passion. I understand. I feel the same way after I got burned, but that's what happens when you fly to high -- that wax melts... Back down to earth I go...

You all don't realize how much I appreciate your patience and taking me in hand... But, hey, that's what family-members do, right?

Right!

fly too high... write too fast...lol

Showing 31-60 of 79 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion