John Petit - Jane Petit born 1453

Started by Private User on Tuesday, May 15, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 91-117 of 117 posts

I think this is the connection to Winthrop, John the younger m https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/183726191/elizabeth-winthrop
Parents
Edmund Reade
1563–1623
Elizabeth Cooke Reade
1578–1637

Hughes first wife Elizabeth

Daughter of Thomas Cooke and Susan Elizabeth Cooke
Wife of Col. Edmund Reade, of Wickford and Rev. Hugh Peter, Regicide

Yes, that's clear in Geni.

I'm thinking the suggestion that brother Rev Thomas was married to a Winthrop is a mixup with that step son in law relationship of Rev Hugh to John Winthrop.

So far I think Rev Thomas married 1) unknown, son John 2) Anne Rowe

I dont know where the Row/Rawe came from, not the siblings of Hugh and Thomas.

Best I can see for siblings might be

1599 Menheniot Thomas (Rev) PETER Thomas
1601 Menheniot Jane PETER Tho
1602 Menheniot Calebb PETER Thomas
1603 Menheniot Temperance PETER Thomas
1605 Menheniot John PETER Thomas

But no Hugh on Cornwall site

My John, IF connected to this at all might be brother, not son of Rev Thomas

Levalsa, some time a seat of the Henwoods, was, not long since, in the occupation of Captain Warwick, of the Navy, son-in-law of Mr. Peter, then proprietor: it is now a farm-house, belonging to the Earl of Mount-Edgcumbe.

Tonkin says, on the authority of Mr. Lewis Tremayne, that the famous Hugh Peters was born at Trelean, in this parish.

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/magna-britannia/vol3/pp81-98

St Ewe seems to be next Gen

1622 Ewe, St. John PETER Thomas
1622 Ewe, St. Richard PETER Thomas
1625 Ewe, St. Mary PETER Thomas

Erica Howton yesturday certain "One World Tree" resources became unavailable on ancestry, happen to be the ones that were moved.

Until ALL the Peter Families are resolved in Cornwall there is no clear path, so I am doing that.

I really wanted to start a project for every parish in Cornwall (slowiy of course)but I didnt because I think ppl might think I am a bit over the top on projects. Project is needed because they held to their parishes at most, except early or gentry who often "removed" and also often we see "sojourner" so we know they have moved there.

If you’re over the top in Projects, what does that make me? :)

Parish Projects sound quite worthwhile, I would only suggest you check to see if there are Genuki and / or OPC sites already existing that cover it.

“Hugh, son of Thomas Dirkwood, was baptized the 27th June, 1598,' and in the margin some later hand has written ' Otherwise Hugh Peters, chaplain and adviser to Oliver Cromwell, beheaded by Charles II on Tower Hill,'"

So be sure and check for Dirkwood (variations) name. Hugh was not the eldest, I believe Thomas was?

Cornish OPC site has searchable records, I use it a lot, What I want to do is place every Cornish person in their baptised parish project, as a way to sort them out and double check correctness, as, many did not move far, so it really helps to line them up and group the spread of each family with some sort of record. I find it hard to keep it all in my head LOL

I think Hugh has been attacvhed and glorified to so much and so many its time to look at the hard facts.

Like this

Levalsa, some time a seat of the Henwoods, was, not long since, in the occupation of Captain Warwick, of the Navy, son-in-law of Mr. Peter, then proprietor: it is now a farm-house, belonging to the Earl of Mount-Edgcumbe.

Tonkin says, on the authority of Mr. Lewis Tremayne, that the famous Hugh Peters was born at Trelean, in this parish.

I also have a later burial for an ODD Hugh and daughter of Thomas in St Enoder, the latest Peter family I'm working on.

Also am finding many say Henry and Debora Treffry had no children, but we have a Thomas, I have added what is said to be his will to the profile, no child mentioned but others we have not got on the tree.

Beneficiaries Catherine Peter (sis in law); Florence & Margaret Peter (nieces); Joane Holman (sis); Gilbert Peter (nephew)

Henry Peter

And look at his profile! hes been merged all over the place I think :)

That may NOT be his will iether, just put it there for now. Might belong to St Enoder.
so I havent added anything yet.

Yet another baptism date given for Rev Hugh here of June 11 1598

https://www.geni.com/documents/view?doc_id=6000000078593928198&

It IS Henry Peter Fowey Will so added to about section, added sister Joane Holman but hadnt found records for her husband.

Just have to do them all, I have a Jo Peter in St Enoder son Jo Peter Alls "Burthy" haha

Good notes here Joseph Petre

Also

ROMAN CATHOLICISM
In the 17th century and the first half of the 18th Roman Catholic worship was carried on by the Petres at Bellhouse (see above). This was one of the places served by the secret Jesuit mission in eastern England which was founded about 1633 and largely financed by the Petres. (fn. 1) The first William Petre of Bellhouse was a servant of Charles I and in 1639 the king personally intervented to prevent him from being prosecuted for recusancy. (fn. 2) In 1676 there was an unusually large number of papists in Stanford Rivers. (fn. 3) There was probably a private chapel at Bellhouse, (fn. 4) and Roman Catholic worship continued there until after the death of William Petre in 1745. (fn. 5) The date when it finally ceased is not certain, but it is unlikely to have continued for long after the death of John Petre in 1762.

The Petres also contributed generously to the support of Roman Catholicism elsewhere. During the reign of Charles II an annuity of £40 out of the manor of Stanford Rivers was being paid to each of two members of the family, Richard and Robert Petre, who had become Jesuits. (fn. 6) In 1678, however, these revenues were seized by the government. (fn. 7) William Petre (d. 1728) made settlements on at least five of his daughters who became nuns. (fn. 8) His son Robert (1700- 66) became a Jesuit. (fn. 9)

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/essex/vol4/p218

Joseph Petre is your 13th cousin 10 times removed.
You
→ Lynette Marie Evans
your mother → Patrick Evans
her father → Isabella Annie Lavinia Beckmann
his mother → Grace Peters Aunger
her mother → Lavinia Aunger
her mother → Catherine Selina Lavinia Hooper
her mother → Thomas Peter
her father → Thomas Peter
his father → John Peter
his father → John Peters
his father → Arthur Peters
his father → John Peters
his father → Rev. Thomas Peters, D.D.
his father → Martha Peters
his mother → John Treffrey, Esq.
her father → Elizabeth Treffry
his mother → Jane Petit
her mother → John Petit, of Ardevora
her father → John Petit
his father → John Petit, Esq.
his father → Michael Petit
his father → Joanna Carminow
his mother → Sir Oliver of Carminowe
her father → Joan de Carminow
his sister → Isabel de Whalesborough
her daughter → Eleanor Daubeney
her daughter → Katherine Champernon (Lady Daubeney)
her daughter → Margaret Hill
her daughter → Joan Hill
her daughter → Charles, Earl of Worcester
her son → Henry Beaufort Somerset, 2nd Earl of Worcester
his son → William Somerset, 3rd Earl of Worcester
his son → Edward Somerset, 4th Earl of Worcester
his son → Catherine Somerset
his daughter → John Petre
her son → John Petre of Fidlers
his son → Joseph Petre
his son

Parish Church of St. Mary and St. Edmund, Ingatestone (Plate p. 135), stands on the E. side of the village. The walls are of puddingstone, flint and pebble-rubble, Roman bricks and tiles, and 15th to 17th-century brick; the roofs are tiled. The Chancel and Nave were built late in the 11th century. At some date probably before the 16th century the chancel was enlarged; and probably in the first half of the 15th century the South Aisle was added. About the end of this century the West Tower was built, and in the second half of the 16th century the South Chapel was added, probably by Sir William Petre. The North Chapel was built early in the 17th century, by the second Lord Petre to accommodate the monument of his father (d. 1613) and his wife (d. 1624). The Organ-chamber is modern.

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/rchme/essex/vol2/pp136-142

Monument to John, Lord Petre, 1613, and Mary, his wife.

Picture http://www.british-history.ac.uk/rchme/essex/vol2/plate-63

Anne Petre

John Petre Esq of Fidlers, who m. Anne, daughter of Sir Robert Thockmorton, bart. of Weston, and had (with other issue, who d.s.p.) a daughter, Mary, who married Francis Canning, esq, of Foxcote, and was ultimately sole heir to the family of Petre of Fidlers

Needs to be attached to the Thockmortons

Catherone Petre needs to be attached to her parents family

Joseph Petre Esq of Fidlers, who m. Catherine, daughter of Sir William Andrews, bart. of Hildersham, in the county of Cambridge, and left at his decease, in 1721 a son and Heir, John Petre, esq. of Fidlers.

John Petre esq. of Fidlers, who married Mary, daughter of Sir Francis Mannock, bart. of Gifford's Hall, and was father of Joseph Petre Esq of Fidlers, who m. Catherine, daughter of Sir William Andrews, bart. of Hildersham, in the county of Cambridge

Mary Petre needs her parents

We also need to get rid of the "god awefull" union jacks and red crosses with England on them :)

The Hon. John Petre esq. of Fidlers, in Essex. He married thrice. By his first wife Elizabeth (who died 1658) daughter of Thomas Pordage, esq. of Radmersham, he left, at his desease in 1696, a son and successor John Petre esq. of Fidlers, who married Mary, daughter of Sir Francis Mannock, bart. of Gifford's Hall

Elizabeth Petre needs pareents

William, second Lord Petre, of Writtle, who married Catherine, second daughter of Edward 4th Earl of Worcester, and had:
I. Robert, 3rd Lord Petre.
II. William, ancester of the Petres of Bellhouse
III. Thomas.
IV. The Hon. John Petre esq. of Fidlers, in Essex. He married thrice.
V. Henry
VI. George.
I. Elizabeth, m William Sheldon, esq. of Boeley, in Worcestershire.
II. Mary, m. to John Carrel, of Harting, in Sussex.

Duplicates, cant see them thos cos Im free

Robert Petre, 3rd Baron Petre
Elizabeth Sheldon
Henry Petre

Bellhouse line as mentioned above William Petre, of Bellhouse

Needs Parents
William Sheldon

another duplicate MP

John Petre, 1st Baron Petre

Anne Petre

Wife of Sir William Petre, MP; John Petre and John Tyrrell, of Heron

Extra Petre husband

Have added this source to all up to Canning, here John Petre, 1st Baron Petre

https://archive.org/stream/agenealogicalan00goog#page/n286/mode/1up

Now going back to the commoners Peter of Cornwall :)

More interesting reading

https://archive.org/stream/newenglandhistor002wate#page/62/mode/1up

He notes on the next page that each son had a different spelling of Peter, Petres, Petrie, Petre, Peters etc. That also happenned with our Aunger family, Aungier, Aunger, Anger also Cornish.

Showing 91-117 of 117 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion