Brunulphe of Cambrai - Cleaning up and documenting the early Hainaut tree

Started by Pam Wilson (on hiatus) on Saturday, May 12, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 3 posts
5/12/2018 at 7:54 PM

When I was asked to make a merge, I spent several hours trying to research this tree, and I am in over my head since this is not a historical period I know well (nor am I familiar with the base research sources). I took notes from a bunch of local history books published in the 17th-19th centuries that I found on Google Books, which I entered into the About section--and based on these, this tree just doesn't feel right. I didn't make any changes, but I think this whole section of the tree is a huge mess, even based on the lack of care and amateurism in the spelling and capitalization of some of the names on the tree. I don't see any sourcing for the master profiles. I am only curator of this profile because it was formerly Justin's.

I realize this period of history is not well-known, but Geni needs to bring better scholarly documentation to the profiles. If any of you are able to do this, I urge you to do so.

@George Homs @Justin Swanstrom

5/13/2018 at 12:02 AM

Perhaps it's better not to make locked master profiles of the uncertain names?
e.g. Theodoric I of the Visigoths had a father-in-law, Alaric, who appears to be his own grandson:
Theodoric I, King of the Visigoths

5/13/2018 at 10:19 PM

Brunulphe is fictitious, as are most of the profiles in this area of the tree. They're Renaissance propaganda by the Capetians. A few profiles here and there represent historical people on whom the forgeries have been hung.

It will be a major effort to get them cleaned up and disconnected.

Showing all 3 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion