Problem with this page?

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing 61-85 of 85 posts

Justin Durand this was too much for me!

Too much fun?

;)

Felipe: For your viewing.

https://media.geni.com/p13/6b/40/52/1e/53444848483f9dbc/ibn_yahya_t...

The ibn Yahya (Yachya) Family
The descendants of
Don Yachya "el Negro" ibn Ya'ish
בני יחייא בן יעיש
from Tunisia, Spain & Portugal c.1055
-------------------------------------------------------
Don Gedaliah "Hazaken" ben Shlomo ibn YAHYA 19th. great grandfather
Father:
Mother:
Date of birth:
Place of birth:
Date of death:
Place of death:
Date of burial:
Place of burial:
Tapestry inscription
Don Shlomo ben Yosef ibn YAHYA
unknown
Lisbon, Portugal
Toledo, Castilla de la Mancha

דון גדליה הכם ורופא מלך קסטיליא כנראה שהיה רופא שלו ומת בטולידולה
Don Gedalia Hacham and physician, was apparently physician to The King of Castille and died in Toledo

Children:
18GGF/U/A
Moshe ben Gedaliah ibn YAHYA NEGRO married
Salva bint Todros HaLevi ABULAFIA

Rabbi David (I) ben Gedaliah ibn YAHYA NEGRO married
unknown

Yonati "La Paloma" bat Gedaliah ibn YAHYA married
Fadrique Alfonso de CASTILLASenor de Haro

NOTES:
Chief Physician of Ferdinand 1 ("The Fair King" 1367-1383), then served Henry 1 King of Castile.
Court Physician of Ferdinand I, then Invited by King Henry of Castile to administer Jewish communities of his realm who made him the head of the Jewish communities of his realm; and he enjoyed a yearly income of 5,000 gold ducats, which sum was levied as a tax. His final residence was Toledo, Spain; father of David (Rabbi) and Don Ibn Todoros “Todros” (some of whom became fierce persecutors of their Jewish brothers upon conversion to xtianity).
He had a daughter named Paloma bat Gedaliah. Paloma bat Gedalyah was mistress of Don Fadrique Alfonso of Castile, 1st Señor de Haro (1334 – 1358), 25th Master of the Knights of the Order of Santiago (1342-1358). Paloma and Don Fadrique had three (3) children:
1.Don Alfonso Enríquez de Castilla (b. 1354, d. 1429), 1st Señor de Medina de Río Seco, married to Juana de Mendoza (b. circa 1360, d. January 24, 1431), had issue, and by an unknown mother had a bastard son,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
another reference:
https://books.google.com/books?id=eQxDCQAAQBAJ&pg=PT261&lpg...

"La Sorprendente Genealogía De Mis Tatarabuelos" is published in 2015 on the publishing house Palibrio.

If you check out https://www.palibrio.com/?LangType=1033 you will find that Palibrio is a self-publishing house. So all you know from the fact that a book published with this imprint says something is that the author was eager enough to have it in a book that he paid to have it printed.

I'm afraid that checking facts in self-published books over the past decade has made me a *little* bit cynical about them. sorry about that!

(There are perfectly respectable books published on self-publishing houses. But for backing up a controversial claim - a reference to such a book has no weight at all.)

Agreed.
I still don't see primary sources.

People will keep peddling these theories as long as there's a market for them.

And, it's important to remember most of these are modern theories or 17th century fakes. They're not an ancient tradition that has been re-discovered.

Someone working within the past few generations has looked at the sources, then come up with a theory about what might have happened. Then people who want to believe it have helped to spread it around. And, in the end, most people who believe it don't even know it is just a theory.

That's why going back to the sources is so important. That's also why it's so important not to just copy everything you find and not to believe everything you read.

I'm afraid that Google Books doesn't want to show me the page you point to, Felipe González de Otoya De Narváez. So if you want me to see it, you'll have to quote it here (including its references).

Same here. I can't see it.

I see that Davar is an Argentinian literary magazine, and this issue was published in 1992. It seems the relevant article is probably THE MEDIEVAL JUDEOESPAÑOLES BIBLES, starting on page 74.

It seems an unlikely place to find a primary source, but it will be interesting to see.

The snippet I see says, "Comenzaron los procesos. Muchos descubrieron -- inclusive Fernando el Católico -- que sus abuelos o bisabuuelos tenian sangre judia o eran judios y que llevaban nombres provenients del Antiguo Testamento. Sobre el reinado de Isabella de Castilla, le mujer que tan . . . "

Google translates this as, "The processes began. Many discovered - including Ferdinand the Catholic - that their grandfathers or grandmothers had Jewish blood or were Jewish and that they bore names that came from the Old Testament. About the reign of Isabella de Castilla, the woman who so. . ."

Doesn't sound very specific, but maybe there's more detail in there.

My Puritan ancestors also bore names from the "Old Testament" (the Tanakh) and they were not of Jewish ancestry.

Although of course we know that a non-trivial percentage of people in the Iberian Peninsula today do have Jewish and / or Muslim ancestry from Y-DNA studies.

Trying to delete my discussion were I told Justin to be quiet. But, I get an error when trying to delete it?

I have cooled down, sorry Justin.

Can a Curator please delete this.

thnx

Hi Anwar,
Unfortunately curators don't have the power to delete discussion comments (other than our own).

I have reported it to customer service and copied your request above.

Leanne

Ahh, Leanne. I would have been able to delete it because it's in a discussion linked to a project I started. But can't do it once it's been reported. On well.

I think that has changed, Justin. I was unable to do that on a Discussion I'd started.

Could be, Sharon. But I'm still seeing the option to do it on this thread and on others. The trick, I think, is not that you started the discussion but that you started the project from which the discussion was launched.

Ahhh, maybe.

Evidencia de esta ascendencia Judia de Fadrique Alfonso Enriquez y Paloma "Yonati" hasta el Rey David está en la investigación tambien hecha por Ramón Rionda en el interesante libro: "La Sorprendente Genealogía de mis Tatarabuelos páginas 223 - 217.

Is this work legit? Some how my family from peru the Hurtado de Mendoza lines up to this family.

I recommend to read this conversation in Geni. In this one, the concerne is not that there are no lines to King David (surely he would have living descentants but hard to prove), but the main horrow for people is that "they" are shown to be connected to King David through muslims. And there is curator partisipating how to fix the problem. There is definately political, religious reasons in this one, so it is really important to check there is no priviledges given for wrong reasons. Not all seems to be interested having big world tree, or connected to each other and that is sad to see.

Here it is:
https://www.geni.com/discussions/188114

Has anyone found anything new to connect Paloma to Yonati?

Showing 61-85 of 85 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion