Atli Budlasson (Fictitious Person) - Attila the Hun?

Started by Harald Tveit Alvestrand on Wednesday, May 2, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 13 posts
5/2/2018 at 1:12 PM

I see that the curator note for this profile refers to Attila the Hun and the Niebelungenlied.

But the profile is just one in the citation of names from "How Norway was settled", a saga out of Flateyarbok.
Do we need to bring Wagner into this at all?

Private User
5/3/2018 at 8:12 PM

He's a character in the Volsunga Saga, actually (the Norse version of the story), coming late in the sequence of events. (The Nibelungenlied version of him is called Etzel.) Gudrun (alias Kriemhild) is forced into marriage with him, and it doesn't end well. The Nibelungenlied ends with just about everybody, including Kriemhild, chopped into mincemeat - but the Volsunga Saga continues for yet another episode, this one involving a king called "Jormunrek" (there is little doubt that he is based on Ermanaric, last king of the Ostrogoths before the Hunnic invasion - yes the anachronisms have gotten completely out of hand). Of course there is yet more battle, murder, and sudden death - what's a saga without all that? (Gudrun apparently gets off scot-free...again.)

5/16/2018 at 12:44 AM

[6000000007278581048] and [6000000010772796562] - can we cut this profile loose from Niebelungenlied and leave the profile as a record of "How Norway was Settled"?

I'm tempted to remove the links only documented in Volsunga saga too, but at least it's a saga, not a Wagnerian opera.

As it stands, the profile looks out of place compared to his parents' profiles, which are pure "How Norway was settled", and the "about me" is strongly dissonant with the curator note and the choice of name.

5/16/2018 at 1:01 AM

I was trying to tag Justin Swanstrom and Anne Brannen, but can neve remember if it's single or double brackets...

5/16/2018 at 1:05 AM

(egg on my face: I had not noticed that the Ring of the Niebelungs is in fact based on a manuscript with a 1200-ish date. So it's at least as legitimate as the Volsunga saga. My apologies!)

5/16/2018 at 6:12 AM

My idea is that we need a collection of projects here to handle the different versions of the story. The Nibelungenlied project is just the beginning. There will be lots of overlap, but also lots of "duplication".

If you're familiar with the different trees for different versions of King Arthur, you'll see what I mean.

5/16/2018 at 6:59 AM

I once was hired to be a co-teacher for a week of meditations and various spiritual activities that was supposed to be based on "the Niebelungenlied." Ha ha! Ha ha ha! WHICH ONE?

That we had not been told.

We decided to present the story as a sort of vast and giant thicket, where everybody was connected to everybody else, but the plot you saw depended on what piece of the thicket you were looking at.

Just like the Arthurian material. Best, for Geni purposes, to either untangle the different threads or simply cut the entire thing off.

5/16/2018 at 7:07 AM

Coming back to this -- what is clear to me might not be clear to everyone.

What needs to happen with Etzel / Atli is to disentangle this mashed together version. Since we're starting with him, the profile needs to be cloned so that Etzell marries Kriemhild and Atli marries Gudrun.

With a bit of work we would be able to disentangle the epic poem circa 1200 from the other versions of the story, and from the historical tree.

I'll work on it more tonight, unless someone beats me to it.

5/16/2018 at 7:49 AM

Totally going to let you do this.

I'm up to my ears with a combination of 1) early Welsh patriarchs 2) tangled mess of Irish real and legendary persons 3) medieval duplicate trees.

Yep.

Let me know if there is something specifically I can help with!

5/16/2018 at 8:25 AM

Absolutely. The point here is to get these fictional people out of the paths to Alaric the Goth, King of the Visigoths.

My guess is that Saga Boys Alex and Harald will take over and get it cleaned up in no time.

5/16/2018 at 8:41 AM

:)

We all have our uses. I honor the Saga Boys.

5/16/2018 at 10:27 AM

Well separated, Justin!

I rewrote the "about me" to split off the English from the Norwegian, and to point out that the equivalence between the three is a theory, not a documented fact.

(Currently I'm not a descendant of Alarik, but of his close relative Theodoric the Great, via Denmark and Italy....)

5/16/2018 at 11:05 AM

Here is the new Etzel, king of the Huns {Nibelungenlied}.

Next up -- separating Dancwart and Gebicca.

Showing all 13 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion