Claude de Savoye - Sources?

Started by Sharon Doubell on Thursday, April 26, 2018
Showing all 16 posts

No primary sources have been added to connect these profiles: Claude de Savoye and Catherine Jean de Savoie
to Mahieu de Savoye and the SA descent line.
Cutting, pending sources.

It looks like a lot of work was done on the profiles around these, it created one mess.

Sharon, about the "intervening" generation required between Mahieu's son Jacques and the South African PROG, see Julien Savoye and the sources listed there: Julien de Savoye

Yes, Private User- that's been there for a long time. Alex just didn't realise that. It's good.
Has somebody messed with it? Are you pointing out an error with that?

Well, it's good insofar as we're accepting The Huguenot Society of London, 1983 as a secondary source for Mahiue, and Juna Malherbe as a secondary source for Julien.
(She says:"Ek het in 1993 van 'n genealoog in België se dienste gebruik gemaak wat deur die Katolieke Doopregister 1582 - 1796; die Katolieke Huweliksregister 1616 - 1796 van Ath, België asook deur die "Civil Records" van Ath 1582 - 1795 en 1652 - 1674 gewerk het.")
It would be great to find the primary sources from which these are taken.

Hi Sharon Doubell, yes, those substantiating reports seems reliable; pity they didn't attach images of the Belgian records -- easier today with ubiquitous cellphone cameras.

Message from Private User. Sorry to drag this up again.
Despite your note about Mahieu's parents being unknown and various discussions about this matter, I notice that profiles for Claude and Michiel de Savoye have again been inserted between Mahieu and Jacques de Savoie, comte de Romont. This can be a bit frustrating, because it generates paths between my ancestors and French royalty.

I don't want to mess with the profiles, but I am hoping you can sort it out?
Thanks in advance,
Hannes Groenewald

I have Relationship Locked the profile and removed the parents. Let me know if there are any further messes around this area, and I'll attend to them.

Thanks Sharon, that is a good move!

:-)

Titre : Histoire généalogique de la royale maison de Savoie, justifiée par titres, fondations de monastères, manuscrits, anciens monuments, histoires et autres preuves authentiques. Livres 1-2 / ; enrichie de plusieurs portraits, sceaux, monnaies, sculptures et armoiries. Par Samuel Guichenon,... Auteur : Guichenon, Samuel (1607-1664). Auteur du texte Éditeur : G. Barbier (Lyon) notice.date : 1660 Sujet : Savoie Type : monographie imprimée Langue : français Format : 4 parties en 2 vol. : ill., frontisp. gravé ; in-fol. Format : Nombre total de vues : 694 Description : Contient une table des matières Description : Avec mode texte Droits : domaine public Identifiant : ark:/12148/bpt6k5774406q Source : Bibliothèque nationale de France, département Réserve des livres rares, FOL-LM3-836 (1) Notice d'ensemble : http://catalogue.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/cb36405386g Provenance : Bibliothèque nationale de France Date de mise en ligne : 19/01/2010

https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k5774406q/f1064.image

Michel de Savoie is the legitimized son of the duke of Savoy Philippe without land and his mistress Bonne de Romagnano. He is the half-brother of Louise of Savoy and consequently, the paternal uncle of Marguerite de Navarre and King François Ier. He is also the half-brother of the dukes of Savoy Philibert le Beau and Charles the Good, and the count of Tende René de Savoie.

Nothing is sure in this filiation which is based on a note of the Chronicles of Jean Molinet1, note 1.

According to François Bonivard, Michel de Savoie is a natural son of Jean-Louis de Savoie, bishop of Geneva2, note 2. But in the rest of the text, François Bonivard confuses Michel de Savoie with Jean-François de Savoie, natural son of François de Savoy, who succeeds in 1513, under controversial conditions to the bishop Charles de Seyssel on the episcopal seat of Geneva.

This second hypothesis, though fragile, seems to be confirmed by a letter of November 28, 1521 that Francis I addressed to the Chapter of Beauvais to announce that he named and presented to Pope Antoine de Tende to succeed Michel of Savoy on this episcopal seat3. In this mail, the king distinguishes between "my cousin" note 3 (Michel of Savoy) and "my uncle" note 4 (Rene of Savoy). It is hard to see why the king would make such a distinction if Michel de Savoie and René de Savoie are half-brothers or half-brothers.

Jessica, that looks pertinent - can you tell us how it fits?

Well, that's the thing, I still can't find where it fits ?

The people seem to exist, it's their relationships to one another that isn't clear

Showing all 16 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion