R' Menachem Meinish Chayes of Brody&Florence - Chajes/Chayut

Started by Private User on Wednesday, April 18, 2018
Showing all 5 posts
Private User
4/18/2018 at 8:51 AM

R. Menachem Monish Chajes/Chayut is my ninth great-grandfather. Michael Rony and I are trying to standardize the spelling of the surname. According to Michael, Chayut is a contemporary Hebrew spelling.

Private User
4/18/2018 at 8:59 AM

R' Menachem Meinish Chayes of Brody&Florence is my wife's 12th great grandfather.
I think it should stay Chajes/Chayut as the first spelling is the pronunciation in ashkenazi hebrew and the second is the transliteration of modern Israeli pronunciation

4/18/2018 at 10:06 AM

Since Geni has a place for the modern Hebrew language / orthography version of his name, that's where it should go - and it's there already.

The rule of thumb that most of us who are trained in history and linguistics follow is to have the name match the documented evidence and our knowledge of the what the name would have been written / pronounced historically. To the best of our ability. My background in PhD in linguistics, training in history undergraduate and afterward, and background in the linguistics and history of Semitic languages, including Arabic and Hebrew, and in Yiddish linguistics.

I agree with Vivian and Michael and point Shimon to the Hebrew version which matches his desire for there to be a modern Israeli pronunciation.

My two cents.

4/18/2018 at 10:08 AM

R' Menachem Meinish Chayes of Brody&Florence is only my third cousin 11 times removed

Private User
4/18/2018 at 12:17 PM

He is right

Showing all 5 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion