Started by Erica Howton on Sunday, April 1, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 211-240 of 260 posts

Oops I think Lloyd was ahead of me :)

Martha Elizabeth Owings

Okay, I think I am confused here. I was looking at Jonathan Holcomb Owings and he is the brother of Joshua Holcomb Owings...or did I totally mess up and create Jonathan on my own and he was supposed to be Joshua? Sorry, working from my phone and this tree was confusing me last time I tried to sort it.

Thank you Erica

And ... I’m mixing up Jonathan with his evil brother Joshua !

Sep 7 1842 Missouri, Mary Jane Peden & Joshua Holcomb Owings

Dec 1 1842 Polk, Missouri, Margaret Goodson & Jonathan Holcomb Owings

Jonathan may have died in the Confederate Army, there should be a record of his orphans. His widow must indeed as remarried.

I will revisit this tomorrow. Were they twins?

No, brothers. Many other brothers.

The kids of Jonathan & Margaret look fine compared with https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/family/LHZD-91L

I have a similar Bushwhacker rebel type ancestor whom may have a Cherokee connection, maybe someone could take a look at his lines and help me if possible.

Samuel Watkins Lockett may be mixed. My mom said his mother might be (Her last name Taylor) Also from Kentucky.

Samuel Watkins Lockett

He was somewhat of a rebel if you read his page. He married
Nancy Gilstrap .

The Gilstrap last name is unique and from what I researched all Gilstraps' are all related kin, my line coming from Peter Gilstrap.

Peter Gilstrap

Nancy Ann Lockett

The Gilstrap last name is on the roles:
http://www.okhistory.org/research/dawesresults.php?fname=&lname...

Both Samuel and Nancy are from Kentucky. The Gilstrap line from North Carolina.

As in previous discussions we have talked about my Dabney line. Nancy is from my Dabney line which according to Tribal historian, we are assuming Pamunkey.

They then migrated to Schuyler County, Missouri. Nancy is from Wayne County, Kentucky, which I found from discussions, at one point to have a large population of Cherokee.

In our families only picture of Nancy, she seems to have the look of a Native in western clothing..

If Anyone can help, or, has of knowledge of the Gilstrap family, your help is kindly appreciated.( especially those on the roles listed as Cherokee) who should be kin, as all Gilstrap's are related.)

Also, I am interested in the finding out if my Rebel Bushwhacker Lockett ancestor may have been rebelling out due to his native connections and not feeling to need to follow anyone's new laws and rules.

Appreciated, Anwar

Thanks for the family search links and profile updates Erica Howton

Private User

One hit in keywords Bushwackers and Indians

https://www.nevadadailymail.com/story/1961076.html

https://www.amazon.com/Third-War-Confederate-Abolitionists-Bushwhac...

“Every state on the western border, from the gulf coast of Texas to the hills of Appalachia in Kentucky, was consumed by a violence that filled every street and town. This violence was not the type found on the battlefield at Gettysburg, where hoards of men in blue or gray shot at each other from considerable distance, finally moving to close quarters combat. This was a war that flowed into every barnyard or town square, pitting men with strong beliefs supporting one side against individuals they believed to be their enemy ....”

New history for me, I saved the book in my wish lists. Will order it soon.

Somehow I got onto this article, with a quote from Vine Deloria:

“American Indian activist Vine Deloria Jr. long ago noted that white American men who would bristle at the suggestion that they had African or Asian blood are often quick to claim Indian ancestry so long as the connection is on the mother's side (as Carter said his was) and Cherokee (also as Carter claimed). Why? Perhaps out of guilt at the deposal of the Cherokee from the eastern states, but more likely because it seems the safest connection to the "real" America, the one experienced by noble savages before the corrupting influences of civilization -- of "guv'mint." Like Asa Carter, many American males see a spiritual kinship between their ancestors, the savage Celts and Anglo-Saxons, and the American Indian, and to be born with Indian blood somehow better justifies being born with a chip on one's shoulder than being born white.”

https://www.salon.com/2001/12/20/carter_6/ “The education of Little Fraud” ALLEN BARRA Salon.com DECEMBER 20, 2001 8:22PM (UTC)

Wow! Interesting read Erica.

I recently saw the movie Free State of Jones...Matthew David McConaughey

I didn't know about this history of Newton Knight and this group.

Newton Knight

https://books.google.com/books?id=hqOjCwAAQBAJ&pg=PA47&lpg=...

I found this: Native American Mounted Rifleman 1861–65
By Mark Lardas

Quote: While many members of the KEE-TOO-WAH initially listed in The Indian Home Guard of 1862, many became impatient when the northern government failed - in the members eyes - to adequately punish Cherokees who followed succession. These Kee-Too-Wah members deserted the army to be free to take what they thought was appropriate action more directly. Along with abolitionist Jayhawkers from Kansas, they provided a northern part to terrorism conducted by southern Bushwackers.

I know it states this person fictional but because stories I found some art about her and a story. Thought it was neat and put in profile. So neat.

Christian “She Who Carries the Sun” Brock, (Probably Fictitious)

Billie

Stories are great! Just don’t make her related to me when it’s impossible. :)

Erica,
It just painting someone did and story some did that looked neat it in media so people can see don’t prove or disprove anything just someone had did it and thought something of this person either fictional or real. They thought something neat art and story was all. That why posted it. Wasn’t trying to prove or disprove anything with post. Just thought it was neat someone did a lot work with it.

Billie

Dear Northwester European cousins .........
PLease stop bothering the Native American Tribal Entities with your BOGUS "I am a Native American" claims. If you are a descendant - you will be recognized & invited in. If not you are wasting everyone's time. Barking up the wrong tree so to speak.

One in one hundred people who come with these claims actually have any connection at all. You are making all of us look foolish.

If you want to offer something - STAND IN THE PLACE THAT YOU LIVE AND LOOK AROUND! Find a local tribal group and donate money to the HEADSTART program.

It's for the children. If we are to follow our own roadmap (BIBLE/CHRISTIANITY) than you can tell the health of a nation by the way we treat orphans and widows.

When I am researching ancestors I like to do a little history to find out what was going on at the time my ancestor was living. I found that the Cherokee in Oklahoma fought for the Civil War and I wondered why. I have many ancestors that fought under Stand Watie and were members of the Cherokee Mounted Rifles. On May 20, 1862 President Lincoln signed the Homestead Act opening the western states to white homesteaders, this would have forced Natives off their land. Even though this wasn't passed until 1862 it had been circulating for a few years so our ancestors knew what was coming. So the Natives fought, once again, to keep control of their lands.

Very useful Sharon - to dial back & examine things in the light of history.

*Northwestern
*Please
If not,

The treaties should be honored.

I like stories too Erica. Flailing about with identity issues is a waste of time.
Rez Dogs - Hulu
We need to hear all sides. Our dominant curtural narrative is biased.
Listen to The People of authentic Indigenous culture. Find out about Indian Country. It's as though we have an ignored subculture, smh. There are hidden truths just waiting to be found.
Gary Farmer - Rez Dogs/Hulu
Why are the original inhabitants of the earth subjugated to subculture?
Snotty Nose Rez Kids
Are we really all in this together?
Shouldn't we be learning from one another?

See - I am constantly being censored.
Why? They are only words. Why can't we see ourselves through another's lens?
Okay, I'll try again.
How about this. All citizens of other countries who desire entry into the United States of America should have to pass a written examine that INCLUDES - let's say five major Indigenous Cheif's/leaders who fought in major conflicts in American History? I actually had a woman of Hispanic descent come into our place of business and say "who cares about Indians, they're not important". What? Yikes? I could feel the vomit coming up in my mouth. She was an educated, fancy lady too. Right from Rodeo Drive, CA - smh I couldn't believe my ears.
Go on to Native TicTok - look & see what they are talking about. You don't have to believe it. Just look.
One of the main things I took away from there was a trending gesture that the beautiful native ladies are teaching. It's when they place a red painted hand over their entire mouths sideways (you know, kinda like on painted "Indian" ponies in the old western movies?)
The native art symbolizes being silenced in a violent way. I too have been silenced with violence. It also is to bring attention to the overwhelming statistics of how Indigenous women are treated in our society. Why can't we talk about this? It's all a part of our shared history.
Why don't we actively search for remedies?
I was mistakenly told by my Northwestern European whacked-out, highly educated, counter culture relatives that we were "Native Americans". Just. Stop. It.
Geni's World Tree = truth

*onto?

Correction
The original inhabitants of North & South America and/or including the The Blacks of Maouri

I need to clarify my previous comment. I meant to say that they fought for the confederacy in the Civil War.

* The Blacks
Maouri - Indigenous Polynesians of mainland New Zealand (Aotearoa)

Pania of the Reef
The Haka

Ann I love this YouTube you posted love it so

Billie

Thank-you Billie June Keaffaber ...... for your thoughtful comment.
I do too. Lyla June has an amazing voice & message. I feel as though she is focusing on solutions to the divisions instead of harping on the same old tired conflicts. I have watched her video over & over. The fact that she does spoken word in Spanish really gets me. I have hope that somehow the "old scores" can be forgiven, not forgotten but forgiven. We need to find a way to move together into a better future. Right?
What would it take to make everyone happy? Can we all give a little? There must be a way even if it's unknown to us now. It's for the children.
I have always been drawn to indigenous content. If you enjoy Lyla June, try exploring the body of indigenous films. The one that got me started was Smoke Signals & lately Rez Dogs on Hulu. So much good content & entertainment. :)

Showing 211-240 of 260 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion