Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 32 posts
3/25/2018 at 12:21 PM

I see the following nearly identical profiles:

Richard Ball, Gent., of Patapsco
Richard Ball of Hunting Creek

They are both mastered, by Erica Howton and Dan Cornett, respectively. Erica thinks that the reason they were mastered has been resolved now, and asked me to create this discussion.

3/25/2018 at 12:22 PM

Erica Howton, Dan Cornett, you've been summoned...

3/25/2018 at 5:46 PM

It may not be so simple.

----

it is the grave of a Ball, and the old heads of the family then living, recollecting the tradition, pronounced it the grave of Richard Ball. In a late number of the "Virginia Magazine," Dr. Christopher Johnston, of Baltimore, writes of a "Missing Ball," one Richard, who married in Maryland and died there, leaving one child, a daughter, to whom he devised property." Who are Richard Ball and Elizabeth Linton? 1998

----

So we have many children attached (when there should be one), an extra wife, and a person who may never have existed.

3/25/2018 at 5:56 PM

https://www.werelate.org/wiki/Person:Richard_Ball_(1)_

Suggests that he married 1) Elizabeth Linton, children Ailing (no citation) & John (married 1) Sinah 2) Winifred Williams 2) Mary Kinsey, daughter Hannah (Ball) Everest (well cited)

So we start by cleaning up the kids

3/25/2018 at 6:04 PM

http://www.colonial-settlers-md-va.us/getperson.php?personID=I03278... however disagrees and only shows one wife / child

James Hughes 2006-09-26 16:24:06
Supplement to Early Settlers Query

Ball, Richard, Mr.
AA:342 Film No.:
Of Anne Arundel County, transported himself by 1661, married Mary, relict & executrix of Thomas Humphreys, about 1671, & died by 1677, leaving a daughter, Hannah Ball
Transcript. 5:20; 6:48; 7:117; 20:10
Original. CC:106; WC:509
MSA SC 4341-

===

James Hughes 2006-09-26 16:34:08

Marriage References

Richard, m. by 1 March 1661, Mary, wid. of Thomas Humphreys (ARMD 67:134; BALR RM#HS:19).
William, m. by 1677, Mary, widow of Thomas Humphreys (ARMD 67:134).

3/25/2018 at 7:11 PM

https://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=tham...

11 Jul 1677: Richard died intestate and the Maryland Prerogative Court July 11, 16 77 mentions his father "till William Ball, his father, dwelling at Rapaha nock, in Virginia be first heard or notice given him who claims as being next of blood to the said Richard save only the orphan who is under age.... ..& son to him the said William." This is in error mentioning "son" and is corrected July 27, 1677 as the records state " came Collonell Wili am Ball, of Korotoman, in Rappahannock River.......and shewed to the Judge here that Richard Ball, his son........died intestate, ..........hath a daughter living.........said orphan." Richard's estate and Hannah 's guardianship was given to his father William from this court action. William later transfers 500 acres of Richard to Hannah in 1677.

3/25/2018 at 7:14 PM

Note from the Geni profile for Col William Ball

Col. William Ball was born about 1615 in England and died November 1680, in Virginia; came to the Colony and located on the Corotoman River, in St. Mary's Parish, and called his estate "Millenbeck"

So far the Elizabeth Linton marriage looks to belong to a different Ball.

3/25/2018 at 8:59 PM

William Ball and Richard Ball, each of whom received warrants for 500 acres of land under the warrant of 1659 and became settlers on the Patapsco, have been shown by Dr. Christopher Johnston to be the sons of Colonel William Ball of Lancaster County, the progenitor of the distinguished Virginia family of that name (Virginia Mag. Vol. VII p. 440 and Vol. VIII p. 80)*. Hugh Kinsey and Thomas Humphrey have been shown by Mr. Miles White, in his Ancestry of Johns Hopkins, to have also come from Lancaster County (Publications Southern Historical Association, Vols. IV, p. 395 and V, p. 360)...
...many if not all of these first actual settlers [those named in the Warrant of 1659] were re probably a group of friends who came up together from Lancaster County and that the probable motive of their migration was religious persecution, as most of them are known to have been Quakers, and it was at this time that Virginia began to put into full effect the various repressive measures against the numerous recent converts to this sect in order to drive them out of that colony.

3/25/2018 at 9:09 PM

Just to be clear about the associations

Hugh Kinsey was the father of Mary, who married first to Thomas Humphrys of Stafford. He died in 1661 and their daughter Mary was born after his death. The widow Mary Humphreys remarried to Richard Ball, had a daughter Hannah who later married Thomas Everest. Mary (Kinsey) Ball, Mary Humphreys, and Richard Ball were all dead by 1677. Hannah is claimed by her grandfather as guardian. It looks like brother William also married a Kinsey girl because Hugh Kinsey’s will mentions a grandchild Hancock Ball.

And now we have a motive for forgetting about this little family also: they were hated Quakers.

3/25/2018 at 9:23 PM

Never mind about “Hancock Ball” I found a better transcription of Hugh Kinsey’s will:

“ ... If my cattle does well and returns which now is gone astray, I do give unto Hamock (sic Hannah) Ball, my grandchild, one cow and also Margaret Kinsey, my grandchild, another cow ...”

3/25/2018 at 9:27 PM

So good notes are here about John Ball born about 1672 supposed son of Elizabeth Linton

https://www.werelate.org/wiki/Person:John_Ball_%2810%29

In my first read of Will extracts for old Col William Ball I do not see him mentioned

3/25/2018 at 9:35 PM

Unsourced

Richard Ball 1630 England - 1684 Stafford m Elizabeth Linton son John

3/25/2018 at 9:42 PM

http://www.colonial-settlers-md-va.us/getperson.php?personID=I02508...

Suggests John Ball b 1672 who married Winifred was the son of Joseph Ball of Epping Forest (son of the old Col William)

3/25/2018 at 9:55 PM

The site set him up as Joseph’s 1st son by an unnamed first wife, gives a transcription of Joseph’s will in 1711, where I do not see anyone that looks like the John Ball family

http://www.colonial-settlers-md-va.us/getperson.php?personID=I03278...

3/26/2018 at 12:14 AM

Dan Cornett

I believe these children of Mary Kinsey never existed. It’s possible she had children who died young but they would not have been born in Lancaster VA, she was in the Patapsco Settlement in Maryland at the original patent in 1659. And probably not worth it to find out who they really were. You curate and are sole manager.

Joseph Ball

Martha Ball

Daniel Ball

3/26/2018 at 12:21 AM

I also think there is little doubt this Richard Ball became a Friend. Mary Kinsey’s sister was a “noted preacher ess”

Elizabeth S Johns

3/26/2018 at 4:39 AM

So, are there two Richards? Or only one, and much of "Richard"s life actually belongs to another guy? I haven't read through all this as of yet, but that is what it sounds like...

3/26/2018 at 9:38 AM

In my opinion there are two different Richards who are quite different.

Richard Ball, Gent., of Patapsco married Mary Ball and was the son of Colonel William Ball, of Millenbeck and Hannah Ball

I do not have a grasp on the other Richard yet.

3/26/2018 at 9:49 AM

Hannah Everest establishes the identity of her parents. Her grandfather Kinsey gave her a cow. Her grandfather Ball became her guardian in 1677 and managed her Ball's Point land.

It looks like she died without issue and so would end this Ball line.

3/26/2018 at 11:39 AM

Corrected the ancestry for John Ball, of Stafford & Fairfax

This was a Catholic immigrant family. There are still duplicates / perhaps mixup issues down tree to be addressed.

You’ll find attempts in old genealogies to relate to the Washington / Ball tree.

3/26/2018 at 5:09 PM

I'm very close to locking Richard Ball of Hunting Creek with no parents.

http://maryballwashington.com/2013monograph2.pdf is a good study with no definitive answers.

I want to check a couple more places and get a better child list.

This is the Presidental line.

3/26/2018 at 5:24 PM

Sounds like you actually solved the problem, though. If they're different, and have different parents, they're not going to be confused. Thanks!!

3/26/2018 at 5:53 PM

Karl David Wright you might be missing the problem. There are a zillion trees and people who believe with all their hearts (and studies) (and pedigrees) (and published books) that Richard Ball of Hunting Creek was the son of Col William of Millenbeck, who was in turn descended from a certain John Paris Ball, lord of the manor (sic) at Wokingham in Berkshire.

And none of this is true, except that Mary Ball Washington should be from Hunting Creek. So i have to check "that," too.

We have DNA studies. Millenbeck line is unrelated to New England Balls. But I'm not sure how Hunting Creek shows in relation to them.

3/26/2018 at 6:05 PM

Mary Washington is the daughter of Colonel Joseph Ball, of "Epping Forest" who is a known son of Col. William. So she's fine. The "cousins" via Elizabeth Linton will not be.

3/26/2018 at 6:41 PM

More references:

Christopher Johnston, "A Forgotten Member of the Ball Family", serialised in The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, vol. VII, pp. 440-441 and vol. VIII, pp. 80-83 (1900), reprinted in Genealogies of Virginia Families, vol. 1, pp. 23-27 (1981), recounts how court records show Col. William Ball went to Maryland and probated the estate of his son Richard Ball. Richard had one daughter and NO OTHER CHILDREN.

Others have put forward Richard Ball and Elizabeth Linton as the parents of John Ball. The father of Elizabeth Linton was a Moses Linton of Lower Norfolk Co., VA. Richard Ball and Elizabeth with several Lintons moved to the Fairfax-Stafford county area from Norfolk Co. At this time, there is no known record evidence which links Richard Ball and Elizabeth Linton with John Ball.

In their book The Ball Family of the Potomac, 1654-2004, by Doris LeClerc Ball, Ph.D. George L. Ball, M.S., it is shown that DNA studies link John Ball of Stafford Co with a James Ball of Maryland.

The Ball DNA study has two descendants of Col William Ball in haplogroup I, kit #112926 and kit #13692. I have traced them back to a son of Col. William Ball using census, probate and land records. The descendants of John Ball are in Haplogroup R1b. They are NOT related.

3/26/2018 at 11:29 PM

Excellent work finding the DNA study!! Pretty much seals the deal.

3/26/2018 at 11:31 PM

I used to say that folks in the South had two great passions: (1) large families, and (2) figuring out how they were related to Zachary Taylor.

Maybe we should add a third: (3) how they are related to Col William Ball. ;-)

3/27/2018 at 12:56 AM

Need to find the actual study for updates, and if theres a Richard Ball / Elizabeth Linton line.

3/27/2018 at 12:58 AM

We have posted the dna test results of 232 participants and have identified 40 haplogoups among those participants. 

We encourage more participants from the British Isles, Ireland and Europe to join our project and help identify their American Cousins.

We believe we have identified the Y DNA signature of the descendants of Col. William Ball of Millenbeck in Virginia, an ancestor of General George Washington.

[we know it's group I from above note]

https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/ball/about/results

3/27/2018 at 1:25 AM
Showing 1-30 of 32 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion