ATTENTION Curators, please assist

Started by Mike Stangel on Friday, February 23, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

This discussion has been closed by an administrator.
Showing 4291-4314 of 4314 posts

Hi Private User as far as I can see the profile looks fine now except for a picture that got copied because of the merge and that I am not able to delete

Good morning,

Could a curator please merge
Maria Francisca de Angulo y Ante to
Maria Francisca de Angulo y Ante

and also please merge a lot of nearby duplicates.

Thank you very much!

Hello!

I am still new on Geni, and am interested in what the usual way on Geni is handling the following three situations:

1. Occasionally I had several people with the same name where the sources did not reveal which of them is the correct one. On MyHeritage and Ancestry I usually solved this by including an "or" into the firstname field, like done here (this case is also interesting as here while I did not know for sure who the father is I knew for sure who the grandfather is as both fathers are son of the same father again ^^).

https://www.ancestry.de/family-tree/tree/155683667/family?cfpid=232...

The "o" in the display folds out to "oder" - german for "or" in the profile page

2. What about cases where you have found a death matricle of a wife of an ancestor, but are not sure if she is the mother of the relevant ancestor or if she is the second wife of the ancestor (after the first wife died). On MH/Anc. I usually included a notice about this in a remark, but included her into the tree.

3. The third case I wonder about what the usual way of doing this on Geni is if you have a connection where you are pretty sure it is correct based on the churchbooks, but not 100% sure. Again I usually I remarked this in a comment (of course if it was not at "nearly sure" level I just did not include the connection, or included that "maybe" the parents of x were y just into a comment instead of putting in the parents into the tree).

I'd be interested as to how such cases should be handled on Geni ideally.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Steffen Häuser

Steffen Häuser

Interesting questions.

I don’t think there’s a single “correct” way to handle these uncertainties, and no doubt conventions vary depending on language and location.

These are some of the ways I try to present, other suggestions welcome.

1. If the name is uncertain in records, show the other possible given name in the middle name field. John “or Henry.” John “Henry.” John (Henry). I tend to select styling depending on how source presents.

2. For “who was the mother” when dates are not available one “could” create a deliberate parent conflict (two mothers), but prefer to show it in notes.

3. If there is any uncertainty about a relationship, comment in notes. Tolerance can vary: the more descendants, the more “important” the profile, the less tolerance for uncertainty (at least for me). Would link in the profile “about” to possible / unproven / uncertain profiles and explain.

4. Don’t be afraid to ask for a curator to make profiles into Master Profile, especially when a profile is uncertain or controversial. We can use the curator note to briefly describe the issues.

checkmate in 3 moves in Denmark 950 :D
https://www.geni.com/photo/view?photo_id=6000000087563753081

Private User Done.

Livio Scremin That’s a scary picture ! Maybe start a discussion from profile, tag Remi, Bjørn, etc to come straighten it out.

need help merging duplicate master profiles thanks
Elizabeth Cass

Elizabeth Cass

NN Vognsdatter
sin fuente figura como esposa de
Jens Vognsen af Stenumgaard

Private User Done.

rvk, Done ;)

Private User very likely the problem is not enough rights. I am happy to explain it in person in Amsterdam on 6-8 september 2019.

Private User I've seen on more occasions that the error message "would split the tree" is issued wrongly. Even as curator (who is authorized to split the tree) I sometimes get it. If you are a manager of the profile (or collaborating with a manager) an alternative way is via the "relations" tab, after selecting "edit profile"

Could someone please help spliting/ undoing a merge on my account. Someone (Debbie Phillips) merged her account with mine. I am not her, and now geni says I have a husband I never had, and a child who isn't mine and I can't fix it. Thanks

Donna Hopkins,

Done. Please check and let us know if everything is now back to what it should be.

Alex Bonnett,

Please check to see if everything is now correct.

@kevin lawrence hanit It looks good. Thanks!

@John Sparkman
I cannot contact John about these profiles:
Evert Potgieter
and his or her private brother or sister.

I did put them where they belong, but cannot merge or get rid of these private profiles.
They are this persons children:
Philip Potgieter

Private User, the profiles are under 150 years and the profile manager is active, so Curators can't make the profiles public or merge them either

multi merge strategy ready in Germany 1500:
- https://www.geni.com/photo/view?photo_id=6000000087635498821

Private User I sent a message to John Sparkman; it's unclear to me why you were unable to do so

Showing 4291-4314 of 4314 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion