ATTENTION Curators, please assist

Started by Mike Stangel on Friday, February 23, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

This discussion has been closed by an administrator.
Showing 4261-4290 of 4314 posts

I am attempting to "self-help" but the technical issues imposed by the geni interface are beyond me. I hope one or more of the curators can jump in and comment on my ideas and questions. Here is the general situation.

I have an ancestress from the early-ish 1700's America. I am NOT one of the managers of her profile. I note that two or three of her sisters have important similarities with her that strongly suggest that either the sisters are duplicates, or there are error of attribution of spouses which need to be researched and teased out so the sibling string can be cleaned up.

I initially attempted to set up a message for all the managers of all these suspect siblings, presenting the problem, and perhaps setting up a discussion page, the idea being that we could examine the evidence and agree on merger strategies or see if anyone was dead-set against mergers (frankly this is likely, as it is common, but I felt it was worth at least attempting). Unfortunately, here's is where I got tripped up.

There are many many managers, because there are three or four siblings who potentially overlap. Some of the names of the managers are common enough as to have duplicates in the geni user database and be impossible to distinguish one from the other so I do not know if the one Geni populates into the "To" field are the "correct" person. I am trying to create single message, combining ALL the suspect profiles, and all the managers, and present the problem. If I do things one profile at a time, I'' be running between one message and the other as a go between and fail to establish contact between the managers of the different profile managers.

I think this is all due to my inexperience with geni, and there is probably a simple solution.

Of course, I could just simply be arrogant and merge all the suspect profiles, but I don't want to do this. The commonality between the profiles could well be caused by erroneous attribution of a name or a spouse creating the impression they are the same people. More information/confirmation is needed, and I am not the person to do this, even if I was the person to have identified the problem.

I am ready to just drop the problem in frustration.

Here are the profiles I am looking at that strike me as potentially worthy of examining for merger/analysis:

1.) My fourth gr-grandmother: Nancy Rebecca Washburn

2.) Martha Rebecca Childress

(Also named Rebecca and married to my 4th gr-grfther, but birth years absurdly different)

3.) Nancy Rebecca Washburn

(Named Nancy like my ancestress, but born same year as #2)

Thanks

Livio Scremin please check if the tree is better.

Hello Geni Curators,

Can someone please help split this tree?

Almyra Herron is incorrectly is connected to this profile William Alexander Herron.

After doing some research, I found that there are two William Alexander Herrons from Ohio. The one married to Almyra is actually this one: William A. Herron

I've attached documents in each of the sources section that help prove this situation. Also note there is some research on Family Search that further backs this conclusion: https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pedigree/landscape/LWNW-J1P

I've reached out to the profile owners and haven't heard back in a week, but they haven't had any activity for many years so I don't think there is any solution other than a curator stepping in.

Thanks in advance,
Ben

you who master the languages of the north, take a look at this Danish husband knot , (select 1 learner - 2 ancestors)
some time ago I gave a glance and it seemed only a problem of multiple languages:
https://www.geni.com/family-tree/index/6000000001544616895#60000000...
(I had only fixed the clone in multi-language for example: Knud IV "the Holy" Svendson, King of Danmark )

Benjamin Joseph Blumenthal

Done. That was confusing !

Hi Gary

I think this is what I’d do.

1. Create a discussion “family of Robert Lowther & Aquilla Lowther

2. Send a messsge via contact manager on those two profiles inviting them to contribute to the discussion. (You can copy the URL of the discussion from the timestamp of the discussion message).

3. Probably also to the child managers apologizing if a duplicate messsge.

Meanwhile we need to source the parent profiles and see what previous studies have for their family.

Thanks Erica Howton! :)

Good afternoon,

Could a curator please connect:

Private

to his parents

https://www.geni.com/people/José-María-Pieschacón-Barrera/600000008...
and wife
Private

Thank you very much!

Erica, I am unfamiliar how to set up and use discussions, and invite participants...

Private User Go to the profile for Robert Lowther and start a new discussion from the discussion tab of that profile.

Then use contact manager inviting managers by mail to participate in the sourcing effort.

Leon Johan Pierre van Aswegen, a1b1c5d2e5f7g5h3 asked met to reverse an incorrect merge on this profile:
Hester Cecilia Jacoba Roux
Please assist.
https://www.geni.com/merge/view?revision_id=73067955150
Thank you

Angus Wood-Salomon Thank you.

Hi there,

I think we have a duplicate profile that has been erroneously defined as a father/son relationship. Here is the "supposed" son Patrick Henley:

Private

Here is the father:

Patrick Henley

I found another resource that said who Patrick Henley's children were, and there wasn't another Patrick Henley. Also, on these two profiles, the birth and death dates are pretty much the same.

So I think the solution is to remove the parental relationship for the son, then merge the two together as the same person.

Thanks.

Roberta H. Gray

Private User, can you re-post your question?

I am not familiar enough with medieval Netherlands and am reluctant to make a decision, this user seems to have changed her birth year as well. Here is a list of curators and their research areas which might help too: https://www.geni.com/curators

Denmark 1000. [it's not difficult, but not obvious to solve]
Private User , Erica Howton , and (C) of the ancient north.. I'll pass the problem to the best I can :)
https://www.geni.com/photo/view/6000000036850731188?photo_id=600000...

Would a curator please assign Thomas and Susan Alderman as parents to Jemima Newton

Thanks in advance!

Livio Scremin and Private User please check if your questions and remarks about the medieval North European tree are answered, if not please contact me by PM in dutch.

I have been contacted by this person to make a merge

https://www.geni.com/list/descendants/6000000087247116837#4
Private

Please assist

Doreen Hazel Traub - merged

Private User The profiles cannot be merged unless we “lose” the MP / public profile. The other one is a claimed member profile.

Monica Boemier Same parents, but one pair is private. Can it be merged?

Thanks!!

Showing 4261-4290 of 4314 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion