Wernher I, Truchsess von Rheinfelden - Source

Started by Private User on Monday, February 19, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 8 posts
Private User
2/19/2018 at 9:06 AM

What about this person, Justin? Is there really two Werners von Rheinfelden? I can just find the son in internet as Werner von Rheinfelden, not Werner II. Nothing about Werner I and II. http://www.bernergeschlechter.ch/humo-gen/family.php?database=humo_...

2/20/2018 at 9:10 PM

I'm trying to remember the discussion we had and to understand what happened here.

There is a clue in the edit history of Konrad I, Herzog von Zähringen. It says, "Agnes von Rheinfelden's parents were changed to Rudolf of Rheinfelden, King of Germany and Adelaide de Maurienne (de Savoie, di Susa)".

That suggests there was at one time some confusion -- perhaps a merge -- between Konrad von Zähringen and Rudolf von Rheinfelden.

And, I do remember several discussions around the ancestry of Rudolf von Rheinfelden. That doesn't help us with Wernher von Rheinfelden but it does help us understand how this odd arrangement evolved. In the old days, Geni's merge logs did not preserve the name of the old profile.

I think the particular discussion I (almost) remember was someone making the claim that Wernher was a son of one of the earlier von Rheinfeldens. I don't have any evidence of that -- and it seems highly unlikely to me -- but it would be an obvious claim for someone to make.

Tell me what you think. Are you aware of such a claim? Do you have more background than just Bernergeschlechter?

I would have no qualms about conforming the line on Geni to Bernergeschlechter, particularly since no one has come forward with evidence, but I want to make sure we're doing our due diligence.

Private User
2/21/2018 at 2:04 AM

According to this homepage, Wernher II Truchsess von Rheinfelden (1225) was actually son of Henricus Scultetus or Heinrich von Schauenberg. And they give their source: http://bfrordorf.brinkster.net/bfrordorf/view_ahnen_navitable.asp?k...

Private User
2/21/2018 at 6:48 AM

And no. I am not aware of this claim. I am quite new here and in genealogistics.

Private User
2/21/2018 at 6:48 AM

And no. I am not aware of this claim. I am quite new here and in genealogistics.

2/22/2018 at 8:00 AM

André, I think you have found the source of the early part of this line on Geni.

If you click the parent links on each profile, you can construct the following claim:

Werner II was son of Heinricus von Rheinfelden, of Schauenberg
Heiniricus was son of Werner I
Werner I was son of Konrad
Konrad was son of Konrad von Zähringen and an unnamed daughter of Berthold von Uesenberg.

I have some familiarity with medieval genealogy in Bern but I'm not an expert and I can't judge the quality of this line.

Werner II seems to be well-sourced (Rübel-Blass) but the other generations cite only "Rudolf Franz Kindler, Ahnentafeln, Lörrach 2000". On a quick Google search, the only information I find about Kindler is a 2004 death notice in the journal of the Genealogisch-Heraldische Gesellschaft Basel.

Moreover, a note on Werner II says, "In RB [Rübel-Blass] not indicated whether same family as the Burgundian family of the Counts of Rheinfelden".

I think it would be reasonable to conform the line on Geni to this source (pending further research), but I have reservations about keeping the connection to the Zähringens or restoring the Uesenberg connection.

Private User
2/23/2018 at 5:48 AM

Justin, I agree with you.

2/24/2018 at 7:18 PM

Let me know if you need help. I'll disconnect from the Zähringen line.

Showing all 8 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion