Started by Private User on Friday, February 16, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 13 posts
Private User
2/16/2018 at 7:37 AM

I would suggest a close reading of Baylus Brooks' "The Search for Blackbeard" so as to correct this erroneous genealogy.

2/16/2018 at 11:08 AM

I take it you mean the descent is invalid ?

Victoria Woods

(just a pirate & privateer fan)

Private User
2/16/2018 at 12:24 PM

Erica Howton

I'm only digging into this because I want to understand the profession and times because of my William Knight pirate theory. This book by by Brooks is just loaded with primary source material.

Here is the genealogy that Brooks has; he provides records and compelling argument.

Thomas Thatch d. 1607 Sevinhampton (Wiltshire)
2 sons:
1) Francis Thache of Highworth, Wiltshire m. Daurathy (Dorothy)
their son: Thomas Thache of Highworth, Wiltshire. bap. 1643-1644

2) Thomas Thache of Highworth, Wiltshire
m. 5 May 1605 Genevora/Jeniver Physte/Platte
bu. 3 Sep. 1664
Their son: Rev. Thomas Thache (elder) of Highworth, Wiltshire
bap. 19 Jul 1618 - d. 1668 Gloucester
m. Rachel Nelme (b. bef. 1645; d. 1705)
2 sons:
1) Capt. Edward Thache (the elder) of Stonehouse, Gloucester
b. 1656 - d. 1706 Jamaica
m. 1) Elizabeth ____
their son Edward "Blackbeard" Thache
daughter: Elizabeth m. John Valiscure 24 Mar 1707
m. 2) Lucretia Poquet Maverly Ethell
3 children: Cox, Rachel, Thomas (half siblings of Blackbeard)

2) Rev. Thomas Thache (younger) of Stonehouse, Gloucester.
b. 1656
son: Thomas Thache

Rachel Nelme, wife of Rev. Thomas Thache (elder) family:
Rev. John Nelme
d. 1645 City of Gloucester, sometime Sheriff
3 Children:
John b. 1622, Richard, d. 1696 London, Rachel, d. 1705, wife of Rev. Thomas Thache
John Nelme son: Martin Nelme b. 1652; d. 1615 Bristol
m. Hester Dymock, sis. of Charles, Coroner of Bristol (1697-1715)

An Elizabeth Thache is assumed to be the daughter of Edward "Blackbeard" Thache. She married Dr. Henry Barham on 19 Apr 1720 and died about 1727 apparently without issue. Dr. Barham is mentioned in the 1742 will of Lucretia Thache, stepmother of Blackbeard.

In short, the line ends.

Private User
2/16/2018 at 12:32 PM

@Erica Howton
Correction. Book title: "Quest for Blackbeard The True Story of Edward Thache and His World" by Baylus C. Brooks Here's his website: http://baylusbrooks.com/
Here's his 2016 Master's Thesis: http://thescholarship.ecu.edu/bitstream/handle/10342/5349/BROOKS-MA...

The genealogy is good work. He did hire a professional to help.

2/16/2018 at 1:39 PM

This is cool. Thanks for posting. I’ll query the Wood manager for sources & point to this discussion

Private User
2/17/2018 at 1:59 AM

Erica Howton Another feature of Baylus' book is a in-depth discussion of Johnson's "A General History of the Robberies and Murders of the most Notorious Pyrates" which was published in 1724 and became the "go to" source for many writers over the past 300 years. Baylus provides highly compelling evidence that this mysterious "Johnson" was actually Nathaniel Mist, a sort of yellow and purple journalist of his time. Apparently, Trent University historian Arne Bialuschewski is also certain that Johnson was actually Mist. This discussion is extremely interesting and important in terms of evaluating what may or may not be true about pirates in general and Teach/Thache in particular.

Wikipedia is, again, behind the times.

It seems that "FakeNews" is a very old phenomenon.

2/17/2018 at 10:23 AM

We have to work on getting the correct genealogies in place. Volunteers needed ...

Private User
2/18/2018 at 4:45 AM

Well, I tried but was told I don't have permission.

2/18/2018 at 10:38 AM

Probably because he’s detached from the world family tree now. Use Create a Branch to make a dup you manage, post the link here, I’ll merge for you, and then you can continue the family

Private User
2/19/2018 at 8:10 AM

Okeydoke. Got carried away. Here's the main character:

Blackbeard

I wonder if there will be upline connections?

2/19/2018 at 8:23 AM

Merged ! As for connecting- You don’t know until you try, right ? Follow that source ....

Private User
2/20/2018 at 1:58 AM

Okay, I've put in as many connections as possible though some are sketchy and derived from mentions in wills. I guess we'll see what connects if anything.

There is a lot of detail in the book including transcriptions of wills and photos of parish records and such that would be nice to have but not sure I have the time or expertise to add that sort of thing.

2/20/2018 at 10:55 AM

That’s great work! I’m thinking we should look at the collateral lines and see if anything can be expanded in that way.

There are likely Thache descendants out there. Wonder if they know about their pirate.

Showing all 13 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion